7mm GWR 14xx & Autocoach

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everyone,

I guess this would be my first time posting here. My name is Zach, I live in the US, and I have a Lionel O gauge 3 rail layout. Recently I have come across the Springside kit of the GWR 14xx for 7mm. I quite like the kit and would like to purchase one. But there are two kits, a bodyline kit and a complete locomotive kit. What is the diference? If I got the kit, I would build it, but would leave it unpowered, motorizing the train it is pulling, such as an Autocoach.

That brings up another question. IS there any manufacturer who make a 7mm Autocoach kit?

Thanks!

Zach

Tower models sell the Blacksmith Autocoach kit.

http://www.tower-models.com

Under Tower brass they show ready to run versions.

For the loco, looking at the price I would guess bodyline is everything except wheels, gears and motor.

Why not email Springside and ask?

Hello Everyone,

I guess this would be my first time posting here. My name is Zach, I live in the US, and I have a Lionel O gauge 3 rail layout. Recently I have come across the Springside kit of the GWR 14xx for 7mm. I quite like the kit and would like to purchase one. But there are two kits, a bodyline kit and a complete locomotive kit. What is the diference? If I got the kit, I would build it, but would leave it unpowered, motorizing the train it is pulling, such as an Autocoach.

That brings up another question. IS there any manufacturer who make a 7mm Autocoach kit?

Thanks!

Zach

It is normal for a 'body line kit' to be exactly what it says, just the body. You supply the chassis, wheels & motor/gearbox etc.

It usual for a 'loco kit' to include the chassis but NOT wheels, gears/motor.

A 'complete kit' includes all the above. Some kits require couplings to be purchased separately too.

PS The Springside 14xx Complete Kit inludes everything above.

Hi

I would also try Waren Shephard at http://www.warrenshephard.com/ he makes a very nice 14XX loco kit all thats needed are motor/gearbox and wheels.

Stuart in OZ

It is normal for a 'body line kit' to be exactly what it says, just the body. You supply the chassis, wheels & motor/gearbox

It usual for a loco kit to include the chassis but NOT wheels, gears/motor.

A complete kit includes all the above. Some kits require couplings to be purchased separately too.

Hi

I would also try Waren Shephard at http://www.warrenshephard.com/ he makes a very nice 14XX loco kit all thats needed are motor/gearbox and wheels.

Stuart in OZ

My favourite 14xx kit is the Scorpio offering. It has wonderful detail including dummy inside valve gear, it looks right and is a delight to construct.

Lionel 3-rail track is quite different from O scale track, although the gauge is nominally the same. (In the US, Lionel and similar 3-rail track made by Gargraves, etc. is called "Hi-rail" by hobbyists because of the different rail profile.) I doubt whether any O scale wheels available from British suppliers, whether included in the kit or not, would run well on Lionel track. You might be better off to get a body-line kit and mount it on a cheap used Lionel 4-wheel chassis, if you could find one. You would then have to find some suitably small wheels of the Lionel type for the trailing axle. This would be an interesting project, good luck!

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I have thought about it, and have decided that I will only get the bodyline kit. I have found two possible candidates for being the chassis, sone having the trailing axle built in. So I will see about that bodyline kit when I get sufficent Funds.

About the Autocoach, I think that I do not need a complete kit, but just the body. LIke the 14xx, I could easily come up with running gear. So I need to find a Autocoach Body-only kit.

Thank you to everybody who suggested a solution. :)

Zach

Archived