New Hey - the final pieces in the Jigsaw

Andy C

Having lost interest in the blog format, Ive coome back to a thread - but cannot be troubled to transfer all the old thread across!

I've done b' all on the layout for a bit whilst other priorities have taken over, I bit the bullet last weekend and started to finish off the final bits of the layout, principally the three remaining signals - after this all thats got to go on is the point rodding and two ground signals. Oh and do the signal operating mechs! and maybe paint the backscene.

Two of the signals got planted on the Jubilee Crossing return board today. The tall one is an LMS lattice post job that was high for sighting round the curve at Jubilee Crossing - the other is an ex L and Y wooden post deliberately short for exactly the same reason, sighting through the Two Bridges Road overbridge.

When originally planned i wasnt going to do these , but along with the platelayers hut they were such a quirky feature between New Hey and Shaw that i couldnt resist building them. Photographed in te garage, forgot how cold it is working in there!

post-6679-1264338058556_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12643380769532_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12643380861282_thumb.jpg

They are a permanent fix - being situated at the end of the board, and fairly close to the backscene im hoping a combination of the end protectors and the backscene will provide protection - a wooden ######?rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

At the moment the operating mechs are liley to be some latching solenoids I got a few years ago for this purpose, driving through an omega loop into an already constructed brass angle crank. Having said that Ive been very impressed with the servo mechanisms that have gone underneatgh Dewsbury Midland's signals recently, but that would involve another re-wire!

(edit) I never knew that a doncom was a naughty word !!!!

Good to see you and Newhey back on here. smile.gif

Truth to tell this winter has not been the time to perform layout tasks.....more an indoor gluing and soldering winter really, and adding more rolling stock to the fleets. I should remember those signals at 'Jubilee' but I can't for some reason.

Coach - the signals are actually just in front of Two Bridges Road overbridge, I just call the board Jubilee crossing to avoid confusion as ultimately that is the next reference point up the line !

Ive just fitted the last signal in place - an awkward one as it needed some woodwork and its in the bottom of the cutting. just tried to upload the photos but its not letting me - Hmmm back to tuba practise thenrolleyes.gif

post-6679-1264351083048_thumb.jpg

Just put the B flat Bass down and tried again:

This is the New Hey advance home controlling entry into the station and protecting the crossover just under the Huddersfield Road bridge. A tall wooden post job its all MSE components this one although the platform is scratchbuilt:

post-6679-12643511233864_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12643511199852_thumb.jpg

heres another of this mornings work to try to put it into context Coach!

post-6679-12643511109672_thumb.jpg

And some of the mechanisms Ive made

post-6679-12643510925322_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12643511006869_thumb.jpg

The solenoid should push / pull the crank via as I said earlier an Omega loop. Stops need to be fitted once the cranks are in place to ensure there is no overtravel either way.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

You are doing a great job with 'New Hey'.

A few questions:-

Where can the Solenoid's be obtained?

It looks like they are 'Pulled' by energising and sprung return?

Finally what is the toal travel of the solenoid

Hi Andy,

I got them off Andrew Hartshorne at MSE but on observation they are a standard RS product so they are probably cheaper from the RS catalogue.

Ive not yet fired it up in anger, will possibly get the chance to do so tomorrow so when I do will keep you posted on the travel and how they work.

I'll be interested to see what sort of action you get from those relays Andy.... The Merg boards are now operational on Dewsbury.... They work Ok, but need some fine tuning.... It may be the servos I've used, but some of the arms seem to get a little jerky if you try to slow the motion down to much.

Anyway we'll see how they perform at Rochdale..........

Cheers Dave

Hi Andy,

David

just measured the solenoid travel, its 6mm. That means using the angle cranks on the inner and outer holes on respective arms I may just get away without having to put stops on to limit travel.

Coach

Thats the whistle off a dubdeee!!

• RMweb Premium

David

just measured the solenoid travel, its 6mm. That means using the angle cranks on the inner and outer holes on respective arms I may just get away without having to put stops on to limit travel.

Andy, many thanks for the info. 6mm travel is ideal for my application.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after the enforced ###### interruptus for the Rochdale show, I decided to start work on the point rodding in the hope that at York in a months time the layout will finally have the last detail on.

I had acquired some packs of the much lauded and sought after Colin Waite etches, Ok they are based on a GW prototype but in the absence of anything else thats remotely reasonable....

After a weekend of cutting them out and attempting to build the stools Im a gibbering wreck. It took me a full weekend to part lose assemble 8 stools, and Ive another 60 plus to go. If the US Marines had given this stuff to Iraqui prisoners to do in Abu Grabh, then they would be up before the international court of human rights before you could say Bush. Waterboarding is childs play in comparison.

As always the Cooper inventive turn of mind is at work and I do think I have an effective workaround, but Id love to hear from others their recommendations for point rodding (The answer "dont bother" will not be accepted!!)

*The auto deletion refers to an act of congress between two consenting adults

All point rodding etches are a pain, but the Brassmasters ones are probably a little bit more reasonable than the CW ones.

I did look at the Brassmasters ones this weekend as a replacement, and then costed it out for my total requirments given the length of run and rods. Ouch.

Fair enough. You should have sold the CW ones to the GWR nutters and financed the Brassmasters from the proceeds!

Indeed miss P, I still have a complete pack of stools (no not those stools) and 1 of cranks - any offers Gasworks fans?laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The point rodding work around has been implemented and as its going to be viewed at a distance looks OK for the foot or so already completed - hopefully this weekend will see the back broken of the job, I just need to paint and install it then biggrin.gif

The signal operating mechs took a turn for the better this week when i prefabricated and drilled out the latcj=hing solenoid brackets - Just got to get the North west Area Brass Band contest out of the way next weekend and it wuill be full steam ahead for the York show preparation.

Some work has been done despite the best attentions of the hounds and a flying visit from the younger son on his way back to Glencoe. The signal operating mechs have been completed - just need to fix them under the baseboard and see if they work now rolleyes.gif

post-6679-126798067111_thumb.jpg

post-6679-126798068381_thumb.jpg

Also heres a shot of the point rodding work around - the top runners are soldered across the rods at 9' (36mm) intervals - I may solder the side brackets on but as this is being viewed at a distance, I now may not bother and just go for cosmetic effect.

post-6679-126798069025_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Generally speaking ive got all the stock I need to run the layout and a bit to spare but every so often I think I must have one or two of those to make the layout. The first such thought was when bachman released the Presflos, but for various reason I wasnt able to get the "Bulk Cement" branded ones I wanted and life is too short to rebrand the only two I ever found, Tunnel cement variants. I can wait for the next batch though!

So when at Nottingham show last weekend when I was chatting to Trevor of Cheltenham Models, I noticed he had some of the new Bachman cattle wagons and not wanting to get caught out again, hand went to walletrolleyes.gif In Richard Greenwood's "LMS steam on the ex Land Y" theres a picture of an L and Y class 23 saddle tank coming out of Royton Junction, bound for Moston via New Hey with two cattle trucks behind the engine, so the purchase was a foregone conclusion. I do have two unopened Airfix cattle wagon kits but they can now stay in their boxes, as all vintage airfix kits should be these days!

The new purchases have been converted to EM - as usual with bachman wagons the wheels just drop in with a bit of judicial surgery to the wheel wells (you have to shave the outside edge so the wheels fit and move out the brake blocks to stop them fouling he wheels.

Today they went under the dirt dispenser. The fist pic is a before and after shot

post-6679-126980007039_thumb.jpg

and a close up:

post-6679-126980021462_thumb.jpg

And next we have both as the finished articles

post-6679-126980018707_thumb.jpg

The other thing recently picked up from the trade is a Vauxhall Victor FB. Most of the vehicles on New Hey hold a certain significance, for a start the Viva HA on the layout CYL 544C is my first car, gifted to me by my Uncle Bert who lived just above New Hey station on Huddersfield Rd. The Victor is no exception, my Dad had one in this very colour and in 1973 on my 17th Birthday, and the aquistion of a provisional licence, this was the first car I ever drove - front bench seat and a 3 speed column change!!

post-6679-126980060356_thumb.jpg

It had to be weathered!!

I suppose there must be a good reason for running a LYR 0-6-0 Saddle tank withdrawn in the early 1960s with cattle wagons carrying late 1960's style of livery markings? Are these wagons not available in an earlier BR livery?

Larry

Seemples (exit meercat mode) They are going right behind the tender on the later liveried dubdee on the long fitted freight as there was little if any livestock traffic on the line at the time modelled. The 23 is on the pick up Target 36 goods which by that time was mainly coal and some van traffic!

They are available in the early livery but I decided as they were going on the long fitted, the latter livery would be more appropriate.

Archived