Small Turntable for OO

DCB

I get irritated by the huge wastage of space caused by the big proprietary turntables As I don't run anything larger than a LMS Duchess I don't need a full size 75 foot Turntable and have been using a manual 65 foot turntable which is a cut down Airfix Dapol plastic kit.for many years.

However I do like the ideas of motorising the turntable and have been wondering about getting something N gauge and grafting on a cut down Dapol deck and OO track, has anyone done anything like this?

I am also wondering about a 50 or 55 foot table to turn 0-6-0 and 4-4-0 tender locos for my projected "Isle of Skye" fantasy layout, again N gauge, with OO track perhaps?

Thanks everyone

The Princess Royals and the P2 2-8-2 s and W1 4-6-4 had longer wheelbases than the Duchess, but my point was you just don't need a 75 foot turntable, although the overhang can be a problem, as they found at Bath Green Park when turning West Countries which fouled the wagons on the adjacent sidings!

The On30 9" Turntable looks good, might be just what I need.

• Like 1

I am in the U.S.  The Atlas turntable shown is commonly available.  It indexes to 15 degrees.  I have one that I am currently using on a small layout.  However, it s 9", which may not be quite long enough.  It is slightly elevated so that track on roadbed matches.  If you lay track flat on the baseboard, you must ramp up.

My favorite choice for a small turntable is the old Bowser 10", commonly sold as N gauge.  It shows up occasionally on US Ebay.  It is in a one foot square of plywood, with a brass pit wall, and a wood floor and nickel guide rails.  The pit actually occupies the same space as the Atlas 9", since that unit has slots outside the 9" dimension to take track sections.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am in the U.S.  The Atlas turntable shown is commonly available.  It indexes to 15 degrees.  I have one that I am currently using on a small layout.  However, it s 9", which may not be quite long enough.  It is slightly elevated so that track on roadbed matches.  If you lay track flat on the baseboard, you must ramp up.

My favorite choice for a small turntable is the old Bowser 10", commonly sold as N gauge.  It shows up occasionally on US Ebay.  It is in a one foot square of plywood, with a brass pit wall, and a wood floor and nickel guide rails.  The pit actually occupies the same space as the Atlas 9", since that unit has slots outside the 9" dimension to take track sections.

9" is 57ft in 4mm scale - still a large TT by most UK standards. Easily big enough for most 4-6-0s.