Inspired by Berlin Friedrichstrasse

Claude_Dreyfus

"This enables a number of trams to follow one-another around the circuit, bunching up at the various trams stops".

Wouldn't mind a video of that at some point. There's something about trams queing up at a stop and then departing as service demands which somehow appeals to me  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We have a slight diversion from the layout construction to check out some decadence! A Fleischmann BR22 just returned from being fitted with an Uhlenbrock sound chip. Excellent service from A&H models, who come highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/tnGkIREk2j4

A thing of beauty is a joy to behold!!!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Updates have been scarce as of late, but there has been progress. Namely that the track layout is complete, both tram and railway, the electrics are done and the ballasting finished. 

To start with, an update from last year. The tram lines were handbuilt, and after much fettling were wired up. Again, after much testing they had the road built around them. This was in the form of das clay, with the cobbles being marked out by a small embossed roller obtained from RailNscale (despite the name, these are H0 cobbles).

post-6831-0-24993300-1457186183.jpg

The cobbles can be seen in this view.

post-6831-0-22344600-1457186241.jpg

Space for road vehicles will be a little tight around the tracks, as demonstrated by the rather cute little BMW.

post-6831-0-09433300-1457186320.jpg

Whilst testing did involve trams, something a little more heavy-duty was called upon as well!

So that was it for the camera until last night, when a few of us went over to a members house, where the layout had been set up for the last couple of weeks to allow activities (such as ballasting) to take place that require the layout set up for a period of time.

post-6831-0-41355700-1457186534.jpg

Now the layout looks like there is some progress taking place!

It also gave up the opportunity to play trains.

post-6831-0-22449300-1457186585.jpg

post-6831-0-46189100-1457186605.jpg

post-6831-0-66591800-1457186627.jpg

The tram line is working fine, with this little Roco example trundling around for most of the evening. We really need to obtain some suitable S-Bahn stock!

post-6831-0-02766100-1457186689.jpg

Some of the most satisfying trains were the sound-fitted examples, particularly the Fleischmann class 22 (with the Piko Doppelstock) and the Roco Ludmilla with 20 Roco coal hoppers in tail.

post-6831-0-89009200-1457186790.jpg

Nice!

post-6831-0-28961500-1457186814.jpg

I like my Ludmillas dirty and noisy  :O  :nono:

• Like 15

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Crikey, it has been nearly a year since the last update on here, and progress has not been spectacular.

post-6831-0-32170100-1487440012.jpg

There has been some work carried out on the main bridge, with the inner arches being fitted in place, and the outside iron-work arch nearing completion. This is still a work in progress, but hopefully will make a nice centre-piece for the layout when complete.

post-6831-0-76632800-1487440321.jpg

The river has needed modification to the bank to accommodate the bridge (with the addition of some pilings). The more modern road bridge can be seen in the background. That is also a work in progress, but the basic sides are in place, with a basic coat of texture.

post-6831-0-32559900-1487440604.jpg

The roads have been made out of plaster, set either side of the tram tracks. The pavements are also castings. Despite appearances, this does not add undue weight to the layout.

post-6831-0-49455800-1487440918.jpg

We have also started weathering down the track and adding grot before the overhead catenery progresses much further.

Finally, we have decided to shift the layout's timescale forward to the late 60s - early 70s. More in keeping with the majority of the stock the club own.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments.

Yes that video certainly will provide inspiration - always good to see how others interpret this era.

Talking of inspiration, I came across this website the other night. There are lots of great albums, but these two in particular grabbed my attention:

http://www.vintag.es/2016/03/berlin-in-1970s-amazing-color-pictures.html

http://www.vintag.es/2016/07/32-color-photos-show-trams-of-germany.html

Not sure when the layout will be out and about, but our current aim is next year. It was due at Rotarail in Fareham this year, but progress had fallen behind to such an extent that we had to withdraw (although deputised by our new 00 layout, which makes its exhibition debut).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work continues on the second of the layout on the opposite bank of the river to the station - if that makes sense!

post-6831-0-17980600-1488625694_thumb.jpg

The roads and paths have had their first layer of paint. We envisage there will be at least a further one or two, before the adding of subtle nuances in colour through airbrush and dry brushing details. The white wall will be concrete along this section, with a dark brick course running along the base. There will be advertising hoardings along this section. The scribble on the board in the foreground is the site of a half-relief building. 

The return loop for the trams is on the left. The middle of this will be a small park, with a couple of trees (either lime or willow), benches and (if there is space) perhaps a small kiosk or something. The other scribble on the extreme left will be a bit more building. Perhaps a little exposed, there will be a perspex sheet along the edge to prevent damage - one hopes!

Middle left is the first bit of greenery on the layout. The wall along the top will be concrete; however the wall at the base, and leading to the bridge parapet will be dark brick - a similar colour to the signal box. The plate girder bridge sides have been made - scratch built by our resident bridge builder out of Evergreen strip and sheet - and will be fitted once the road painting has been completed. We may need to do some fiddling with the parapets to make the girders fit neatly.The greenery is just the base - there will be a few small scraggly bushes as well as an attached of the grassmaster. I see this embankment being more yellows and light browns on top, the first layer being a green/yellow mix. The park in the foreground would have been maintained, and therefore more verdant...

Overhead wires and poles are still to be be erected, and I rather like the idea of the main stretch of road along this board having trolley bus wires.    

post-6831-0-09636300-1488627512.jpg

More greenery around the tracks has been added in preparation for the catenary to continue along this section. I am also about to start work on the third-rail for the S-bahn tracks, aided by yet more trusty Evergreen strip. We have a work day in a few weeks, a chance for a solid 5 hours, which I hope will improve things in leaps and bounds.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 9

Just come across this thread, and it looks good. Do you have any idea when you might start exhibiting it?

Possibly some inspiration for you, a video I took of a layout at the Munich exhibition, 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNw9vDLJif4

In case it's of any interest, that's this layout: https://www.vbbs-weinbergsweg.de/s-bahnanlage/

Also I came across this one the other day: http://pallmergmbh-weilheim.de/modellbahnanlagen-unserer-kunden/

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Squiddy. Any pictures and/or models of the area/era are of interest. One thing all of the models tell me is that our embankment is a little high. Much of it will be hidden by the station building along the front, but I really want at least a small stretch of brick arches - cannot really have a model set in Berlin without them! The arches may accentuate the height...so some creative thinking is in order here.

Another thing gleaned from these, and other pictures, is how distinctive the S-bahn third-rail is. I have been fiddling with various sizes of Evergreen strip, the first results I hope will see the light of day over the next few weeks. It was be more convincing when we finally get our hands on one of the relevant S-bahn sets!

We are also going to dust off the club's Silhouette cutter. I have been playing with the software and consulting the most informative thread on the subject.

• Like 1

Couple more links:

https://philsinnett.wordpress.com/

http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=123403

Thanks Squiddy. Any pictures and/or models of the area/era are of interest. One thing all of the models tell me is that our embankment is a little high. Much of it will be hidden by the station building along the front, but I really want at least a small stretch of brick arches - cannot really have a model set in Berlin without them! The arches may accentuate the height...so some creative thinking is in order here.

FWIW my own modest take (work-in-progress) on the Stadtbahn viaduct in N has the track bed at about 50mm elevation. Using the Faller viaduct sides which are fairly generic but close enough for now.

32766439380_7bf33a8e2c_z.jpg

german-station-mockup-2017-02-27 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I saw your effort on the JNS forum, and whilst you say they are generic parts, they certainly look the part.

Those two links contain some interesting information. One thing in common is the fanned cobble design...we will have to find somewhere to add these. I like technique used for the arches; one of our number uses CAD and has access to a 3D printer. We have made some test pieces, but I will forward him the first link for more information.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

We had another work day at the club for Friedrichstrasse. These are proving very useful as we get a straight 5 hours work on the layout - not that much obvious progress seems to have taken place! 

Today work took place on the platforms, where various activities has resulted in splashes and blotches on the tops - which has been covered by a light grey wash. We also added some brick walling, bridge girders and the start of the tram overhead. Additional work was carried out on the remaining section of road behind the station. The bridge girders have been scratch built from plasticard and evergreen strip.

A couple of indifferent pictures to support my ramblings - taken on my mobile as I forgot my camera.

post-6831-0-27951900-1491758063_thumb.jpg

Tram knitting starts to go up

post-6831-0-18137400-1491758768_thumb.jpg

The catenary posts are white metal castings, with brass wire. The tram is Roco.

post-6831-0-60569800-1491759104_thumb.jpg

The first of the plate girder bridge sides are added.

post-6831-0-27010200-1491759804_thumb.jpg

The brickwork has been added to the base of the embankment. The middle of the tram return loop has been filled and given a light skimming of plaster. Inside the bridge can be seen an attempt to recreate the white tiling which lined certain bridges in Berlin. The area in the middle of the tram loop will be a small park - we are looking at getting a couple of lime trees for this area; hardly Unter den Linden, but certainly something Berlin-like...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Remember that block of flats from a couple of years ago - 'Ulbricht Towers'? Well, they haven't been forgotten about, even if progress is slower than snail-pace...

First, a change to the location. Originally they were to be located towards the front of the layout, as a full structure. This area will now be a church, and as they are still under construction, now they have been moved to the back and will be half-relief (or more appropriately 1/20th relief!) and attached to the backscene. There now location will be right in the foreground of the following picture.

post-6831-0-31919000-1492106502_thumb.jpg

I was able to dedicate a couple of hours to the flats today (currently making the most of time between contracts). To recap, the basis of the flats is the modular 'plattenbau' design, and the model itself is constructed in a similar way. Each of the modules is cut using a silhouette cutter from Scalescenes concrete wall - printed onto card. These in turn were stuck to a foamboard frame.

post-6831-0-78749000-1492110304_thumb.jpg

The windows are simply a strip of clear plastic stuck behind the card, with the frames constructed out of micro-strip - quite a fiddly and time-consuming job. As can be seen in the rather cruel close-up

post-6831-0-23954900-1492111999_thumb.jpg

As the space for the structure has enlarged, the opportunity has been taken to extend it. The already work in progress section will now form the left-hand wing of the building. The section to the right will be the stair well between the wings. The window frames will be on ongoing as the building progresses - saves me from going crazy!

None of this Lana Del Reye stuff here - building flats should be accompanied by a bit of Willy Nelson!  ;)

post-6831-0-13323400-1492112645_thumb.jpg

Work has now started on the right-hand wing of the building. The two sections are not fixed together yet...hopefully something for next week

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

More progress with the flats. The right wing has now been attached, and the stairwell section has been assembled.

The design of the stairwell is based on this photo of an East German block of flats. 

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattenbau#/media/File:Plattenbau_WBS_70_in_Chemnitz.jpg

I am slowly progressing with the window frames - I am now over half-way through the task! Next step will constructing the main door, as well as finishing those window frames. I'll then need to put the flats in situ to sort out the base; which looks rather scruffy at the moment. 

post-6831-0-17069600-1492629095_thumb.jpg

The little Trabant, to provide some scale, is an old Herpa offering, which sat very low on its front axle. This has been resolved by a tiny stub of a track pin between the front wheels, just enough to even it out...

• Like 4

More progress with the flats. The right wing has now been attached, and the stairwell section has been assembled.

The design of the stairwell is based on this photo of an East German block of flats.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattenbau#/media/File:Plattenbau_WBS_70_in_Chemnitz.jpg

I am slowly progressing with the window frames - I am now over half-way through the task! Next step will constructing the main door, as well as finishing those window frames. I'll then need to put the flats in situ to sort out the base; which looks rather scruffy at the moment.

attachicon.gifIMG_7831.JPG

The little Trabant, to provide some scale, is an old Herpa offering, which sat very low on its front axle. This has been resolved by a tiny stub of a track pin between the front wheels, just enough to even it out...

Ahh, that wonderful architectural style known as DDR perpendicular :yes: In 'Marzahn Grey' as well!

Trusting you'll be having some of these?:

http://www.eriksmail.de/Templates/berl475steglitz1089.jpg

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to get my hands on at least one of those S-Bahn sets. Both the Lima and Rivarossi models are old and tend to be rather expensive. Here's hoping someone else produced one in the future...

I keep promising myself a small cameo layout based on Hackescher Markt, before it turned all posh!

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bilder/geschmueckter-s-bahnzug-zum-1mai-historischen-189198.jpg

That would be an interesting model.

Fortunately I bought two of the two car 475's from one of the S-Bahn shops in about 1999 IIRC, both unmotored, but a spud or black beetle will sort that. They were specifically made for BVG I believe, as they weren't (aren't) in standard Lima boxes.

On separate visits to Germany I bought a Lilliput BR52 (reko) and a sound fitted Roco Br132.....

Oh, and most recently one of the new Wuppertal Schwebebahn trainsets (don't ask) ;)

Edited by leopardml2341