TRAX1 & TRAX2 - Layout Wiring & Track Design Software

Jaggzuk

TRAX1 & TRAX2 - Layout Wiring & Track Design Software - User Help and Discussion Thread

I have decided to start a thread to act a reference point for the two TRAX model railway design software programs:

TRAX 1 - Wiring the Layout

TRAX 2 - Track Construction

I have sought and gained permission from the owners of this program with regard to starting this thread and also for publishing things like screen shots, track plans and elements taken from the software that relate to the operation of the programs.

So I would first like to thank Jeff Geary for writing the software, and for Kestrel Railway Books for publishing it and allowing us to publishing visual elements of the program within this forum.

There are two versions of the software, each distributed with a book, TRAX 1 came with Wiring a Layout and TRAX 2 comes with Track Construction. I refer to TRAX 1 in past tense as this book is now out of print. However, TRAX 2 is still in print/production and it can be sourced from Kestrel Railway Books.

If you visit the publisher's website you will note that is also a Yahoo discussion group for the software and this can be found at Yahoo Groups. This is rather a quiet group and so as part of my communication with Kestrel I said that it was my hope to reach more like minded people on a dedicated model railway forum like RMWeb.

As for features of the software, to quote from Kestrel's website "a software package enables you to produce accurate templates for almost any combination of point and crossover, in almost all scales and gauges." and it can do the following:

•  
  • Design a complete track layout including basic buildings
  • Check track clearance and minimum radii
  • Design turnouts and crossovers to any radii and length using custom settings
  • Print templates to enable track construction
  • Add electrical feed points and controllers to the layout
  • Add semaphore signals and turnout control
  • Test electrical control with multiple controllers and route settings
  • Developed simple interlocking control for signals and turnouts using a lever frame
  • See a graphical representation of set routes and electrical control.

Martin Wynne wrote a review of TRAX 2 (Book and software) which can be read here Trax 2 Review

So to business, I hope this thread will become a place where questions can be asked and answered relating to the use of the program, tips can be shared and layout plans shown.

I created a Poll regarding this software, please check it out at TRAX Software Poll

Oh yes, I am using TRAX 2 to design my 2010 layout :D

Finally, here are some screen shots to give you an idea of what the soft ware looks like and what it can do.

post-4412-12651451725526_thumb.jpg

A general screen shot showing a completed loop layout (One of the example layouts that comes with the program)

post-4412-12651452042717_thumb.jpg

Another general screen shot showing an example layout.

post-4412-12651453777102_thumb.jpg

Another example layout that comes with the program. In this view TRAX is being used to test the electrical feeds to the track using signal and turnouts controlled via a lever frame.

post-4412-1265145421441_thumb.jpg

An example layout created by myself.

post-4412-1265145441991_thumb.jpg

A close up view of turnouts showing sleepers and rails positions. These can be printed off as templates

post-4412-1265145460015_thumb.jpg

A detailed view showing the window to control the dimensions of a 3-way turnout. All any size and type of turnout can be created via these type of control windows.

Regards Paul

• 5 months later...

I have had TRAX2 for a few years but have failed miserably with everything I have tried. As there are no instructions to go with the program I am groping in the dark. A friend of mine works wonders with it producing track plans, turnout plans etc but I just cannot get the hang of it. I would like to use it to plan my next layout so please help.

Mike

I have had TRAX2 for a few years but have failed miserably with everything I have tried. As there are no instructions to go with the program I am groping in the dark. A friend of mine works wonders with it producing track plans, turnout plans etc but I just cannot get the hang of it. I would like to use it to plan my next layout so please help.

Mike

The instructions are in the book you were supposed to buy to get a copy of the programme.

I do have the book but it does not have step by step instructions or examples to work through.

Mike

It is true that the guidance is limited. There is an attempt to lead you through a step by step in Chapter 1 of the book. They try to lead you through the design of Holcombe Brook station, firstly using straight pointwork and then using curved pointwork. If you can follow that through, this should teach you most of the techniques you need.

If something doesn't work, then use the undo button, and then try again.

I have successfully prepared a number of track plans, some quite complex. Learning to use the Trax program to achieve this was largely by trial and error.

The main problem I have had is with the flexible track component connecting incorrectly. This is solved simply by undoing the last step (using the undo button) and then attempting the connection again. This usually solves the problem, although it may take several attempts.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

Hi Mike

When I first got the book and program I have to say I too did find the lack of detail in the book and the Program Help a bit daunting. However, after a bit of trial and error and also working through all the example files on the CD, I finally got the hang of it and was able to produce plans I was happy with.

All the figures in the book are contained on the CD (1.4 to 1.9, 6.1 and 6.9), have you looked at them? Also, Steps 1 to 8 detailed on pages 65-67 for set-track plans are included too.

I found that playing with/editing the completed plans (holcombe.trx, Proto87.trx, Whit3.trx and Winches.trx) really helpful in finding out what to do and how to use the program rather then trying to start with a blank plan; as tempting as that is. I also tried coping real track layouts in to TRAX, one of my first attempts was Goose Hill Junction - (Goose Hill Jct)

Can I suggest that you post a sketch of your planned layout and then may be we can talk you through how this can be represented in TRAX?

Kind Regards

Paul

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

TRAX3 (book and CD) will shortly be published by Noodle Books, with the emphasis on signalling.

Following the move of TRAX away from Kestrel Railway Books, ownership of the traxusers email group has now been passed to me:

http://groups.yahoo....roup/traxusers/

This is now an independent support group for users of all versions of the TRAX program. If you are a TRAX user, why not join? You would be very welcome.

I have no connection with either of the above publishers.

regards,

Martin.

-----------------------------------

http://www.templot.com

• RMweb Gold
it is a Yahoo Group!

Hi Kenton,

You can join a Yahoo group as an "email only" member without giving any personal information at all. Simply send a blank email to:

traxusers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

You can use an anonymous free email address such as hotmail or gmail if you wish.

Even if you don't join, the entire content is visible to all on the web site at: http://groups.yahoo....roup/traxusers/ , and you can receive updates via the RSS feed.

At some future date I may consider conversion to a web forum, or integration into the Templot Club forum. However at present there is so little activity on the group that it is not worth the trouble. That may change after the publication of TRAX3 in a few weeks time.

regards,

Martin.

• 6 months later...

I do have the book but it does not have step by step instructions or examples to work through.

Mike

I don't know about that - I was able to build a code 100 double slip using the instructions and program. Oh, and it works too.

John

• 1 month later...

I see the TRAX books are available on Amazon (other sites are available!).

Before I spend my hard-earned cash, the "details" seem to be devoid of useful stuff like PC requirements! Can someone confirm that TRAX only works on Windows X,Y or Z. I cannot find any reference to Mac/OS so, presumably, I must stick with Empire Express - not bad but not perfect.

RGW

• RMweb Gold

Only Windows, and so does Templot.

Hi Tim,

Templot and Trax are Windows programs. They won't run natively on a Mac using the Mac operating system.

However, there are several other ways to run Templot and Trax on a Mac. Users have reported that Templot runs fine on the latest Intel-based Macs under Bootcamp, Parallels Desktop, Codeweavers Crossover, etc.

For Codeweavers Crossover you do not need a copy of Windows, see:

http://www.codeweave...ucts/crossover/

There is information (a bit dated now) about using Templot on a Mac computer at:

http://groups.yahoo....ot/message/7167

and on Templot Club at:

http://85a.co.uk/for...=287&forum_id=1

I would expect that Trax would work equally well on a Mac using the above methods (not actually tried it).

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

I see the TRAX books are available on Amazon (other sites are available!).

Before I spend my hard-earned cash, the "details" seem to be devoid of useful stuff like PC requirements! Can someone confirm that TRAX only works on Windows X,Y or Z. I cannot find any reference to Mac/OS so, presumably, I must stick with Empire Express - not bad but not perfect.

RGW

I have just discovered that TRAX 2 won't install on Windows 7 and I doubt there is an upgrade available.

• RMweb Gold
I have just discovered that TRAX 2 won't install on Windows 7 and I doubt there is an upgrade available.

Hi Welly,

The problem applies only to the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and applies only to the installer. The actual Trax 2 program will run fine.

I posted details about how to get Trax 2 running on 64-bit Windows 7, on the traxusers group here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/traxusers/message/88

regards,

Martin.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
I've recently upgraded to Trax 3 and am finding I get "Invalid Floating Point Opertion." errors.

When doing what?

The most frequent f.p. error is attempted division by zero. The program should be written to catch that, but it seems there is a bug.

Do you have something set to zero which doesn't make sense? For example if you have set the model scale to 0mm/ft it could cause lots of errors. Or a baseboard 0mm long.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
Of course the software should be written to prevent the entry of such a primary input error.

I didn't say it wasn't. I was just giving examples of the type of thing to look for. It's not easy to anticipate every conceivable thing a user may do.

regards,

Martin.

It's not easy to anticipate every conceivable thing a user may do.

Not easy to cover every conceivable thing. But an empty input item or zero data field that is being used somewhere in a calculation should be first principle of design.

If you are going to ask a user to enter information, always assume the user has no concept of how the data is going to be used. Then cover all obvious validations, then if you are going to store that data for later use assume someone will come along later and reuse it. It takes less time to design in input validation than it does to go round chasing bug that simply shouldn't happen. After the user has become disillusioned and there is "bad press" about the product it is too late.

Firstly, I experienced it almost immediately when uploading some files from Trax 2 - as soon as I opened a file it was fine. It is my usual practice to minimise the control panel, to enlarge the layout drawing area on view. I got the error message as soon as I'd enlarged the view. I thought I'd got past that - strangely, to me anyway, if I enlarged the view a little at a time then I didn't get the error message.

Now, having been using the programme again for a few weeks and managing through this in this way, this morning I adapated a plan using the (new) slope/embankment. I'd placed the drawing and decided to change its orientation, then got the Floating Point error immediately. So, following your logic from above I have reverted to the parts list, I see I have two 'slope' parts listed which don't appear on the drawing and have values as zero - how can I identify them to delete them?

• RMweb Gold
But an empty input item or zero data field that is being used somewhere in a calculation should be first principle of design.

We don't know that it is. I offered the possibility of division by zero as somewhere to start looking, nothing more.

regards,

Martin.

Archived