LNWR Crane Tank and Shunting Engine Kit

kipford

• RMweb Gold

Hi all a long time since I posted anything. The project is still live it has just been a bit slow over the last year. I lost the mojo a bit plus had problems with the masters for the castings and some etch issues. These are now basically sorted so I can proceed with completing the shunting engine test builds. I took early retirement on 22nd December, so work will not now get in the way. The crane tank is now 98% modelled based using the experience gained on the shunting engine. A picture of the current state of play is shown below. David thanks for the picture of the 7mm kit it looks very nice.

post-1359-0-97101500-1515075910_thumb.jpg

I will post some pictures when I get the prototype finished.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It will not be in the catalogue yet. It has not been formally anounced and will not be until I am happy it is ready to go. It will take as long it does, hopefully not much longer. Remember this is not a commision design, I am doing it because we wanted a couple for the SHMRC Hope under Dinmore layout and asked John if he was interested in them as a potential kit.

As Dave (Kipford) says, it will be ready when it is ready.

LRM have provided help, guidance and (from me) some gentle nagging to get the design completed. Dave is very keen to ensure that the model will be as accurate as possible, although some details - particularly for the crane - are difficult/impossible to find.

It will appear on the website when it is available, but "expressions of interest"  to LRM such as Norton961's will help assess demand.

Jol

Thinking outside the box so to speak, would a drawing of a yard crane give an indication of how it was supported?

I don't normally do pre-orders but I would love a crane tank in 4mm, the CAD model looks absolutely stunning with so much detail included.

Dave, I hope you have a long and happy retirement

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Done a lot of work in the last two weeks. The crane assembly is designed, but more important the 4 ft shunting engine RUNS. Photos taken at SHMRC last Thursday and a video of it running. The plan is to have it painted ready to run on Hope-Under-Dinmore at Doncaster next weekend. The  only bits missing are the sand box operating mechanism which I managed to knock off and not notice. 

post-1359-0-84966300-1517644104_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-78621700-1517644118_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-84315500-1517644129_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-81058900-1517644157_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-96274800-1517644171_thumb.jpg

Video:

https://youtu.be/mEbwk3UeQE8

• Like 16

I came across a picture in Backtrack or Steam Days recently showing a crane tank engaged in assisting some drainage work on the main line.  Couple of low wagons and a brake tacked on.  So they weren't confined to works.

• RMweb Gold

OK some more photos. First please excuse the crap paint job, this is a proof of concept model and was never destined to be a gold medal winner. Also spraying in an unheated workshop does nothing for the finish. The primer photos shows the level of detail available, but also the problems with 3D print fidelity even when using FUD! The camera can be very cruel and it looks a lot better with the naked eye.

post-1359-0-75706500-1517918741_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-47781900-1517918754_thumb.jpg

Before any ones says so I know the rear cab supports are angled incorrectly, that was my fault when assembling the roof.

post-1359-0-72438000-1517918769_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-58488200-1517918781_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-57912100-1517918794_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-25658400-1517918805_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-90448200-1517918822_thumb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave

The 3D prints are for the test build only. The boiler is going to be a resin casting, mass will not be a problem as you can fill boiler with lead, if you are around at Doncaster come and see how heavy it is! The remainder of the castings will be white metal/brass castings. Final mix I need to discuss with LRM as some of the castings are already in the LRM range.

Afraid I won't be at Doncaster it's a three hour drive! I did check earlier today. Perhaps I'll be able to catch up at your Portsmouth show later in the year.

Is the resin cast boiler going to be hollow then? I would imagine it will need to be if it were to be filled with lead. Not all LRM resin boilers are hollow certainly the one supplied with the Stanier 0-4-4T is solid resin.

It does look good!

The existing LRM kits with resin boilers had the casting patterns scratchbuilt. 3D printing has allowed Dave to design a hollow boiler pattern which can now be accurately cast. John Redrup has been introduced to a 3D print supplier who can produce very "smooth" prints. So all looks promising.

• 1 month later...

Steady progress. Neither the designer or LRM wish to rush the model into production until it is ready, accurate and to a high standard.

Identifying the jib construction to replicate it for the crane fitted version has been difficult from the information available. Exploring the best process for producing a 3D print for the resin casting mould pattern with an acceptable finish on the boiler unit has taken a little time. However, these are now hopefully resolved.

• Like 2

Excellent.

I have even started building some LNWR wagons (in LNWR livery ) to go with the loco and have ordered from LRM a LNWR 10 ton Brake Van. This loco has resurrected my dormant interest in matters LNWR so this is going to be expensive. I have been buying up some Ratio wagon kits, particularly the single plank and ballast wagon kits ( no longer available from Ratio) and have been staggered by how much I have had to pay (£16.00) and when the box arrived the original price said £3.50! Have had to buy Volume 1 of the LNWR Wagon book as well.

Agree about getting the quality right for the loco so happy to wait. This will give me time to build some more wagons for the loco.

David