OO Gauge Mail Cach LNER Coronation Coach Kits

Hi All,

I hope this is in the right place. If not, Mods, please feel free to move to a more appropriate location.

I am looking to acquire a complete set of the Mail Coach OO LNER coronation coach set kits. I can't seem to find any kits available for sale (I believe Cooper Craft are the main dealers but not sure they actually have the items in stock). Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to obtain a set from?

Also, I would need wheels and bearings and presumably couplings. Could anyone advise a good quality retailer of suitable items? Is it necessary to replace the kit bogies with after market bogies?

I know the kit isn't the easiest but I really fancy a go at making this iconic train formation, and I have a good deal of experience in making model aeroplanes so I hope to use some of these skills in the making of this kit. Also, it seems from my research that masking the windows is key to making this look presentable. Any help much appreciated,

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum, not the Roman one.  You will find lots of help here if you ask.

I have built the Mailcoach Silver Jubilee set of coaches.  These are the same as the Coronation set in that they are clear sides.  I also have the Coronation set to built. 

Available from Cooper-craft.co.uk  The full set is GBP 110.00.  I would hold off purchasing them from CC until you know he has stock.

You will need Romford or Gibson bearings and you can use Hornby 14mm coach wheels.  Couplings are your choice.  It depends on how you fix them to the bogies.  I have used tension lock couplings. Kadees are good too.  If you don't wish to build the bogies you could use Hornby Gresley or Bachmann Thompson bogies.

Mask the windows is definitely needed.  I used low tack painters masking tape as it comes in wider than Tamiya.

Hope this helps

Mark in OZ 

• RMweb Gold

Further to Mark's sound advice.

A quick search brought: http://www.osbornsmodels.com/mailcoach-coach-kits-498-c.asp

I have not bought from them, so cannot comment on their service.

MJT do lots of detailing parts: http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt.php

I haven't looked into which parts would be applicable to the Coronation set.

Fox Transfers do or used to do Coronation transfers: http://fox-transfers.co.uk

These kits come up on eBay from time to time.

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into!  There are a few people who might advise against touching these kits, largely due to poorly fitting parts (seems to be variable) and the challenging painting.  Please post progress on RMweb.  I for one would be interested to see how you get on.  Good luck.

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your prompt and informative responses. I think 247 do some nice parts for the interior of the coaches, though I may be mistaken, so that would be most useful, as I think quite a lot of the insides will be visible. I'll also need some figures to put in them too.

Mark, it sounds like you're doing the exact same project that I intend to do! The Hornby 14mm wheelsets look ideal, though of course will need painting crimson in the middle with white rims. With regard to coupling, I intend to run them pretty much as fixed rakes, though the observation car will need to be detached in order to turn it around if required. Lots of masking required, I'm a big fan of Tamiya tape, its never let me down, I usually cut it to size with a new scalpel blade and steel rule. 

For the silver jubilee set, I was thinking of getting this: http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/html/silver_jubilee.html Its brass so I need to learn a whole new skillset, but it looks delicious and the idea of the silver lining for the windows would certainly aid construction.

With regards to the lining has anyone used the fox silver lining? I was wondering if this might be a good way to achieve a neat finish without using paint on the Mail Coach set?

I'm also compiling the stuff I need to change Hornby's R3131 Great Snipe into 'Dominion of Canada' and 'Union of South Africa'. Hoping to achieve something as beatiful as this:

http://www.canadianrailwayobservations.com/croarchives/2013/junecro/hist.h43.jpg

Thanks very much for the help, its invaluable.

Teaky, you posted before I finished so sorry for the extra post, but I did just email Osbournes this morning to see what they have, just awaiting a response. Yes they do seem to get bad press, but I'm pretty experienced at building plastic kits, that requre loads of filling and sanding to get pretty good results, so I can only give it a go and see what happens! At £110 for 9 coaches its really good value, when you consider a used Hornby teak lner goes for upwards of £40 on Ebay! 

I'll be sure to make a build log on here when I get the kits.

If you compare the Hornby version with the Mailcoach kit you will then see why there is a price difference.

I have built the Tourist set and be warned they are very poor as already said. Very poor fit of all parts, the clear sides aren't that clear being thick plastic and a nightmare to paint. Bogies are useless too light. I would recommend MJT bogies and their articulation system. You won't need any other under frame details as it all hidden.

Very good luck.

If you compare the Hornby version with the Mailcoach kit you will then see why there is a price difference.

I have built the Tourist set and be warned they are very poor as already said. Very poor fit of all parts, the clear sides aren't that clear being thick plastic and a nightmare to paint. Bogies are useless too light. I would recommend MJT bogies and their articulation system. You won't need any other under frame details as it all hidden.

Very good luck.

Thanks, I think I'll need it!

• 4 months later...

Hi grob1234,

just came across your comments about trying to find Mail Coach Coronation set coach kits.If you arrested interested I have  a complete MC12 kit which is KITCHEN THIRD/FULL THIRD ARTICULATED TWIN COACH. Bought it with great hopes some years ago but life got in the way!

Anyway if you are still interested let me know

Roggo66

Hi grob1234,

just came across your comments about trying to find Mail Coach Coronation set coach kits.If you arrested interested I have  a complete MC12 kit which is KITCHEN THIRD/FULL THIRD ARTICULATED TWIN COACH. Bought it with great hopes some years ago but life got in the way!

Anyway if you are still interested let me know

Roggo66

Hi there, I have actually found a different set, I have a build log here on RMWeb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100704-oo-lner-coronation-brass-kit-build-sydnope-scale-models/

Thanks for the heads up though :D

Archived