7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

Good luck with the 59 Chris. :>)

cheers

Bob

It’s been a while since I did anything with the 59 the hight issue was a real problem 7mm too high at he buffer line made it impossible to use coupled to anything on the front of the loco hopefully I have take enough out of the frame I can get about 0.5mm more in the brass bearing block but the chassis is just about maxed out due the the V Ron cut in the top is too deep on one side if I machine much more risk the chassis breaking as it’s quite thin.

I can't remember what I had them mill out of mine but it was enough without cutting the chassis in two :>)

One thing I have learned out of my efforts so far is that I would mount the motor/ gearbox on the rear wheels on a design of my own. Easier to service at a later date.

cheers

Bob

Have you thought about using some 1" U-channel for the chassis? Tower Models 0-4-0 Barclay uses this. Aluminium Section with 1.5mm or 3mm thick walls is cheaply available from Bunnings and most of what you would need to do can be achieved with a pillar drill. Just use a centre-drill to start the holes, drill them out a second time a little under-sized and then either use the full-sized drill or a reamer to get the finished size. I've home-made a couple of motor bogies this way (no photos, sorry) and they work well enough.

Chris, have you heard any info on the SAR layout going up in Canberra?

Looks to be a big project from the Youtube video.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes Brian did a talk on it at the last Aus7 forum a lot of the models were scratch built by Frans Grand father ?? I think, Brian and Fran have made a extension to their house to house the layout, as Fran said it’s a train room with a cosy house attached.

The railway just keeps growing and runs over several levels. DCC with signaling going in as they progress.

Have you thought about using some 1" U-channel for the chassis? Tower Models 0-4-0 Barclay uses this. Aluminium Section with 1.5mm or 3mm thick walls is cheaply available from Bunnings and most of what you would need to do can be achieved with a pillar drill. Just use a centre-drill to start the holes, drill them out a second time a little under-sized and then either use the full-sized drill or a reamer to get the finished size. I've home-made a couple of motor bogies this way (no photos, sorry) and they work well enough.

Hi Marty I’m trying to keep the model as close to a Fox model as can be but have it close to the correct height within the restraints of the original cast parts I could get another 0.5mm at a pintch.

It’s sitting nice now I have a got it within 1.4 mm of the correct height so will live with that rather than risk having the chassis become too thin and potentially break I think only 5 or 6 of these chassis where cast

Plus After all this I also have a too scale DJH 59 Class In O scale so keeping the Fox model as is is more important

Have been busy exhibiting Moonan Flats and building a new layout for Rosehill exhibition so will get back to the 59 when everything else is completed.

Hope you had a good time at Richmond Vale Chris.

Nice photos!

One of these years i will be able to travel again to exhibitions.

Did the talk mention that the models were a mixture of 7mm and 1/4" or all the one scale?

cheers

Bob

Hope you had a good time at Richmond Vale Chris.

Nice photos!

One of these years i will be able to travel again to exhibitions.

Did the talk mention that the models were a mixture of 7mm and 1/4" or all the one scale?

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob yes the majority of the SA models were built to 1/4inch scale but the newer models are in 7mm ie 930 and 830 Class Diesels and some rolling stock.

Yes I Had a good time exhibiting at RVR.

Thanks Chris.

When I saw the Alcos's I thought they might be 7mm ones.

Scale tends to vary somewhat on my railway too when it is convenient.  :>)

There was a very nice SAR steamer at the 7mm Forum many years ago... might be part of the same collection.

I look forward to seeing more of it as it progresses.... a big job!

cheers

Bob

• 2 months later...

New arrivals at Moonan Flats this is 1 of 2 NSWGR 59 Class Baldwin 2-8-2 by DJH kits UK this loco will be Finished as class member #5917, Coal burner.

I haven’t decided what the second locos number will be yet or if it will be a Coal or oil burner the kit comes with parts so you can build either versions may do as an Oil burner there are 5 of the class that made it into preservation 3 coal burners #10-17-20 plus two statically preserved Oli burners #8 & 16 however only 5917 has remained serviceable and is currently getting new wheel tyres and a bit of an overhaul.

I needed somewhere to test 5917 and so this afternoon I finally got to set Moonan Flats up again it’s been stored away since the RVR exhibition so with the finishing touches to the DJH loco of fitting numbers about to happen, the Next thing to do was put a Decoder in it, I had a old spare TCS WOW V3 it’s been in a few locos for testing etc I fitted a AS3030 speaker in the Die cast boiler Barrel and it makes a super loud sound enclosure. The loco now needs a good run in the Slaters Gear Box is quite tight I will have to do on the rolling road as the 8ft of Moonan Flats scenic section will never were it in.

All shiny in black with Red lining 5917 at the end of the line at Moonan Flats

post-14985-0-05607400-1533834252_thumb.jpegpost-14985-0-78757200-1533834539_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-05607400-1533834252_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-78757200-1533834539_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 3

You've built a really nice model there!

The red lining on the running boards I think were a feature added when they were used on heritage specials in the 1960s.

They were originally oil-burners, but some were converted from 1961 into coal-burners, so I suppose it depends what era you want to represent. The afore-mentioned red lining on the running boards would suggest 1960s more than 1950s so coal-burner would be a good choice.

I'd like to get into it, but my mojo has been gone for a while and I'm back at university trying to finish my degree (yet again).

Hi Martin

Re the Red footplate and lining all the photos of 59’s being delivered off the boats seem to display what looks like red lining albeit the photos are BlackNwhite, it dose look like Red running boards red under the cab and lined cab sides also lined tender as well.

One of the oil burners at Goulburn has remnant original paint and the US style number have been uncovered as the bottom layer of colours, this also confirms the Red running boards as delivered and that’s No16 so a late delivery.

Several photos of 59’s in service on the north coast also show red as well.

Certainly a lot were all over black after overhaul but this probably also largely depended on the location and time of the overhaul.

Some had white in place of the red as well possibly Port Waratah locos as photos suggest

What we need in Sydney are one of those big loop layouts that clubs build with minimal scenery - in reality more of a running-in circuit rather than a model railway.

A few years ago Trevor H mooted the idea however, I think I was the only one that offered to go, in on the build project with him.

So with no other offers of help or interest and with both of us already having plenty of projects (layouts in the build) nothing more came of it.

It would be good to have something like that, an all gauge test track, in the UK these do get lots of interest when at shows.

Bob, Chris - I stand corrected re: red footplate lining. Perhaps I was thinking of other classes of loco used for heritage specials... the 50 class maybe?

Marty your thinking of the 55 class they did a couple specialty for a couple of tours near the end of steam the photos I’ve seen they looked quite smartly prepared with the striking Red foot plate. 30T 32 50 & 53 also had examples.

A couple of link to Flickr of some photos by friend Tim Arnot of the 55’s

https://flic.kr/p/queSbZ

https://flic.kr/p/abKgLL

https://flic.kr/p/queT6z

Nice to hear a bit of sound sometimes. What decoder did you use?

cheers

Bob

Bob it’s a version 3 TCS WOW it’s been in several locos I have used it as a test decoder for a few years.

I’ll get a Current version WOW decoder eventually.

Chris,

Wow, that class 59 is certainly an impressive beast! Very handsome loco that looks right at home on Moonan Flats... although it must not have much room to stretch it's legs!!

David

I’ll certainly never ware out any of my models on Moonan Flats.

Hopefully I’ll get a big shed one day soon that will give room for the dream Big Layout that will have a long run for the locos to stretch there legs