The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

I have been riveting the tender

Also started lowering the overall height.

I replaced the 36" wheels with 32 1/2" ones, removed some of the spacers between stretcher and body cross member and am in the process of filing away the tops of the sideframes to allow movement again.

I will be about one mm too high after this, which will look a lot better.

408813677_59tenderrivets.jpg.2841f1c21f43d94d69ec94a010fd1df4.jpg

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Here is a test assembly of the basic tender construction.

Coupler pocket filed and coupler attached.

P1010834.JPG.7881fb780ad2909742dc8dfd47341219.JPG

I don't think the modified bogies are very noticeable now it is painted.

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

Great progress and its Looking good Bob, the bogie tops are hidden nicely by the chassis so it's not realy noticeable.

Just had some Good news this afternoon with a phone call from John Della of PSM the C38's ordered forever ago from PSM will be delivered this coming weekend at the Aus7 forum.

Lucky I put the money aside when I was working.

Thanks to Martin for the plan link

Attn Chris, this is my method of making the rear bogie fit.

I made up some trapezoid cross pieces from scrap 60 thou styrene to fit top and bottom when the tangs of the two castings just touched. I glued them with epoxy after roughing up the surfaces.

Next day I cut and filed the end back to enable it to fit. Drilled and taped for a 3mm bolt.

I will put a spring under to enable it to take some weight and will put the rear cross piece in at a later stage when I do the final tidying up..

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc

A Century Models  Baldwin tendered cutaway cab 19 class was amongst the visitors yesterday. It was put to work hauling the coalie.

I cant find the photo so here it is on its home turf.

P1050790.JPG.c8df706d10e428a0a01ee4f407cbd4a7.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

A Century Models  Baldwin tendered cutaway cab 19 class was amongst the visitors yesterday. It was put to work hauling the coalie.

attachicon.gif19 class on coalie.jpg

regards

Bob

Top photo Bob

What other locos visited from the Lismore depot.

Looks like you had a nice day

Is your line DC or DCC? I'm thinking that perhaps I should pay a visit with a few locos.

Time for a big road trip Martin.

Bob has DCC not sure if it is DC switchable ?? Though.

Martin, my line is DCC only these days. I could run a dc loco before putting in the booster to handle the occasional visit of high current draw locos and for some other technical reasons. It was quicker and cheaper for me to buy one down the road than order a matching Digitrax one.

You will need to have a full tank or three to visit me and my times for playing trains are restricted due to my full time carer duties.  You are quite welcome to come and run trains if the stars align however.

There were also these strange visitors and a couple of 16 ton open wagons not shown that needed some surgery before they could be run Chris.

1317592211_Hymecongoods2.JPG.9e4aef5ade1cbd148305ad8cf922d474.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

In the future I look forward again to occasional visits to the smoke. One highlight will be to run trains at the AMRA NSW clubrooms in Sydney.

The 7mm NSWGR layout is AMRA standard 3-rail with hook/loop couplers. I want to be able to take a loco and guards van with me to run there so they will have to be special dedicated stock. To enable testing on my Peco bullhead DCC layout I have decided to make the loco also operable with a battery/ radio control van I will build.

A side benefit when I have that power van is that anyone who was prepared to make the same simple mods to a loco could also run their AMRA 3-rail stock on my layout.

Loco wheels are on order and I have some parts for the rolling stock already.

Will be fitted with Col Shepherd bogies and coupler.

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc

• 3 weeks later...

I have put the private coal trains away for the moment as they really have no place on the layout.

Now back to the outer suburban theme we see a 79 on a small transfer goods working deputising for a failed  BTH 41 class .

551838824_79andtrainonramp2.JPG.f068e529f5b75ec2ef26cbf863b27ac1.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

In the future I look forward again to occasional visits to the smoke. One highlight will be to run trains at the AMRA NSW clubrooms in Sydney.

The 7mm NSWGR layout is AMRA standard 3-rail with hook/loop couplers. I want to be able to take a loco and guards van with me to run there so they will have to be special dedicated stock.

You can do what the NSWGR did and have match-trucks. A couple of S wagons with a kadee coupling on one end and the AMRA coupler on the other should do the trick. When they're not being used as match trucks you can run them together as a pair in your home layout consist.

*edited to make a bit more sense*

Edited by hartleymartin

Ahhh,...... it is the sight of the Col Shepherd coupler in a previous post that brings comments about match trucks Marty.

I have built many paired match vehicles over the decades in several scales, it is a very common well know practice!

I used to have a small box with several individual ones for HO/OO too. S trucks fitted with Kadee one end and dunny seats, chains, coat hangers, X2F etc at the other. Came in handy on club nights with expectant newbies wanting to see their latest purchase have a run around.

Col made a drop in matching device that he keeps in his pocket for when Kadee equipped stock was wanting a run on an AMRA standard layout. Much better than my emergency piece of solder or paper clip.:>)

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc

Seeing as how I jokingly mentioned the BTH 41 class, here is a picture of how far I got making mine.

This was started well before Berg's mentioned their intention to make a kit. I finished putting the body side louvres in last night. First work on it in several years. The Bergs w/m kit was a good item but having already started mine I have dithered over purchasing it.

909742982_41start.jpg.4bafe837664bd6af28a823aafbbe5ec2.jpg

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

The NSWGR 41 class basic body shape has now been assembled. It will need some filling and filing but over time the details can be added when I feel like it.

The observant will note it has had the radiators extended and the roof outlets added to it.  I want it in red and an original version would be incorrect.

1382123977_41classbasicbody.JPG.9640090fdaf13ff9aecbb581b442a37d.JPG

I'll get back to the 59 shortly.

regards

Bob Comerford

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My utility poles may have looked nice when I first built them but they have repeatedly fallen apart outdoors. In fact the only wood on the layout that has held up are the poles themselves.

They might be crude but the replacement crossarms and supports are now being made from scrap brass frets and wire and soldered together.

I can't see rivets outdoors. :>)

post-5543-0-29839200-1449622538.jpg

I also had to replace the level crossing with new planks made from styrene last week as the wooden ones had almost completely fallen apart.

regards

Bob

Hi Bob trust your well

The joys of an outdoor model railway just like real utility poles just not as much of then to weather like a real one. Probably lasted a scale amount of time if you calculated.

Last week we went for a running session on Peters outdoor railway even with the majority of the layout covered the weather stopped us running trains we were able to run locos around but the gusty winds prevented any rolling stock for fear of it ending up getting blown way.

My 57 got wet in a sudden down poor it was gone as soon as it came.

I'm going to put some photos up of the locos running on my thread.

• Like 1

Hi Chris , I'm OK and hope things are your way.

Outdoor running is always a gamble but well worth it when it comes off.

Your 57 should not suffer any ill effects.

I try to only run plastic models when there is a chance of a shower. Cardboard coaches could be a real tearful event!

No more wooden structures, only plastic or metal from now on.

regards

Bob