The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

Hi Chris, I don't recognise the loco as such.

Is it kit or scratchbuilt?

Perhaps it has it been Australianised with Kadees, headlight and pump just like my Lima Fowlers?

Either way it would not look out of place on a coal mining branch.

I think it often takes the onset of shaky hands and fading eyesight for some to look at scales larger than HO! :>)

When that happens it is often they move on past O up to G1 or the various G scales.

regards

Bob

p.s. did you have a photo of the HO layout you were operating at Liverpool among your online collection?

Hi Chris, I don't recognise the loco as such.

Is it kit or scratchbuilt?

Perhaps it has it been Australianised with Kadees, headlight and pump just like my Lima Fowlers?

Either way it would not look out of place on a coal mining branch.

p.s. did you have a photo of the HO layout you were operating at Liverpool among your online collection?

Hi Bob I think the loco may be a kit that has been Australianised with a westing house air pump headlights that are Kreoby

Orignaly I think it may have been an MR/LMS dock tank.

The little Layout I was helping on was Industry Lane OO British a minimum space layout with really nice detail

Photo below

30009006436_65262a30b0_c.jpgLiverpool 2016 Exhibition by CHRIS, on Flickr

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, it looks good and uses sensible couplers too !  Blue and yellow, just like when I visited there.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

The Blue and Yellow was a bit of me the owner usualy has BR green Locos to blend in to the greenery the blue was a big splash of colour for the little layout

The Large Logo was the current colour scheme when we lived in the UK in 1981 so that my memory's of modern BR, Locos racing through Crew Station on football specials and growling along on freights and when travelling around by train I had the Ian Allan spotters guide. so a good part of my OO Locos colection are Blue and yellow boxes.

• 3 weeks later...

All part of the fun of model trains in the great outdoors Chris.

I'm still looking for missing bits scattered about the yard.

The track is still OK so won't be loosing sleep over any of it. :>)

More metal and plastic and less wood structures in the future. I might be able to get some steel to make replacement roofs for the time being.

How goes it your way Chris?

regards

Bob

All good I hope at my place Bob

I'm out at Bathurst this weekend no trains though.

And a massive thunder storm last night hopefully a fine night tonight as we are on the top of Mount Panorama lucky in the new camper trailer so weathered the storm well.

Would have liked to go to the NewEngland convention but dates clashed so another 2 years until the next one may be next time

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Just remember it is 2 way traffic around the mount Chris :>)

Should be good to see how a caravan handles the cutting !! :>)

It would have been good to catch up with some old friends at the convention but I passed it by this time.

If my layout is still up when the next one comes around you will have another 'attraction' close by. Remember to bring trains!!

cheers

Bob

p.s. Off to look for more missing parts after another storm last night.

Edited by robertc

Hi Bob yes did the track in both directions.

The camper handles better than the 4x4

have to say it's the best trailer I have ever towed.

Check out this video of the prototype under test The one Shelley got is the current model Mk4 version

Yes will get up your way eventually Bob and bring some trains to stretch their legs on your layout.

May be sooner now we have this new camper.

Hope you find all the bits, best of luck with the search

Edited by SMR CHRIS

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty happening here at the moment. Installed a new metal roof on the goods shed to replace the ply one destroyed in the hail storm and started the maintenance painting on some of the other structures.

Replaced the worn pickups on my N67 class tank engine and... finally found the intermittent s/c and fixed it too.

The indoor layout has had the wrecking ball taken to it and the Peco track will arise as an extension to the outdoor layout sometime.

Still in the process of cleaning it all up and getting the baseboard back to a cleanish sheet.

One should never be afraid to rip it up if dissatisfied and start anew. I could see the signs over the last few weeks as I had no enthusiasm to continue with it.

I will have to have a rethink on the indoor layout thing. It was useful when I couldn't run outdoors.

My CPH railmotor is now fitted with my hybrid drive, it will now run over wet or icy track..... or on the kitchen floor if I want :>).

I will do the same mod with my X200 rail tractor too.

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc

• 2 weeks later...

To cut a long story short, there was no way i was going to be able to put a basic NSWGR layout in this room without bending it severely.

So, after much deliberation I decide to just do an Inglenook along one wall.

Previous layout was a 'sit down' one but his would need to be a 'stand up' layout.

New legs were cut to allow a track height of 46" ( say 1170mm).

I am reusing some 3" (75mm) foam sheets for the umpteenth time so I can model some under track openings.

I have laid some bits on the boards just to see how things might fit.

post-5543-0-26461400-1480658092.jpg

post-5543-0-13158000-1480658145.jpg

post-5543-0-25792300-1480658119.jpg

cheers

Bob

That's a good compromise Bob

At least in the middle of winter when the rails are iced up out side you can run some trains if you take photos of all the wagons you intend to use you can deal them for a train order to make up, can some times take a good while and it's good for the gray matter up too.

There are a few online examples of random card draw etc for inglenook shunting layouts.

I do it with Moonan Flats then print out for a session.

Example below

post-14985-0-56490500-1480752696_thumb.png

Hi  Chris, yes the plank will allow some playing with my O gauge when outside is not a nice place to be. I already prefer the view when entering the room with the track up higher.

My 49 has sound so should be good to shuffle about. If my friend gets his 44 chipped up I suspect he will want to come and run it indoors where it is 'safe'. I will insist on ALCo sound though if he wants a running pass :>)

I spent the day dismantling the rest of the first layout and started the cleanup of boards etc. Retrieving the ground cover with sieves.

I have enough room for an N gauge dogbone in that area, but those ideas are for a future time.

That's neat!

I used wagon cards on the Inglenooks I have had in other scales. I might add a photo to the cards for those who can't read!!   :>)

What I did in HO and will do the same here is to insert kebab sticks between the rails to set the limits for shunting when using it as an Inglenook. That enables me to have (say) a small engine and 8 off 4 wheelers or have a bigger engine and 8 bogie wagons. I made my first one right after I read the original article. When David Mitchell had his P4 layout on the farm up here we would have an operating session using cards too.

What's been happening your way?

regards

Bob

What's been happening your way?

regards

Bob

Not a lot been happening modelling wise Bob, we had a short shakedown trip in the new camper now back home I have been doing more bits for other people than myself with DCC installs and loco repairs etc.

I did Finished the scenic revamp on my 8ft plank now it's done, I may put it on EBay on Sunday night.

And see if anyone wants it.

I did have a running session the other night on Moonan Flats, with about 12 of the local guys round.

post-14985-0-89220100-1480770726_thumb.png

We have a good supper as well as running trains

post-14985-0-31819900-1480770667_thumb.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I could announce this a test shot of my new cab forward..... but I might not get away with it :>)

Finally got around to pulling the 59 class mech apart and installing the needed insulating washers to keep drivers from shorting against chassis.

The installed some pickups just on drivers for the moment and took it out in the cool 30C breeze to test run (all those in lower climes will be baking in 40 +).

post-5543-0-15013300-1482986698.jpg

Of course it runs best backwards to start..... one of these days !!!

I need to hurry up as the new RTR version will be here before I finish mine.  :>(

cheers

Bob

• Like 3

Very nice Bob good progress getting the Chassis to the running stage.

Looks good

I still have to get my Chassis milled to get it to the correct height so I can reassemble it.

Hope you had a good Xmas and best wishes for the New year

All the best to you and yours too Chris.

Lowering it was certainly worth the effort.

I fear I am going to have to pull it apart again to install longer crank pins on the driven wheels; the Slaters ones look like they are going to come up a bit short with the supplied bronze castings.

Not much else happening here at the moment. The indoors is on hold again as I contemplate if I am going to like the end result.

regards

Bob

p.s. it now runs perfectly in both directions. Two of my hastily installed pickups were not always touching the drivers.

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Just as well the local super decided to give in and place a shelter, Bob or the little people would have melted in today's heat literally

Been in the 40'c + all day and at 9:30 pm it's still 35c

Hope your weathering the heat OK