southern liveries

postierich

hi which comes first the olive green colour with number underneath or the brighter green.

im new to southern railway modelling loking at Hornby m7 s.

thanks

I think this is right that the olive shade of green was used during the maunsell era during the late 20's early 30's and the malachite (Bright shade) was a bulleid colour so that dates late 30's to late 40's

Hi postierich

In Brian Haresnape's 'Railway Liveries' series of books, the edition on the Southern Railway, ISBN 0 7110 1203 2, Publ'r Ian Allan 1982*, it lists two Greens for the Maunsell years, 1923-1937. The first being a slightly lighter Green adopted by Urie during WW1. This is described as 'Sage Green' (SR.1/C21), and was used on locos until stocks of this paint ran out in 1925/6. It was then replaced by the darker 'Parsons Green' (SR.2/C20), this shade having been used on the new Emus since 1915. The book refers to this colour as 'Maunsell Green'.

There was a brief interlude during 1936 when the SR were deciding on a new, brighter livery. An experimental mid/lighter version of Urie's 'Sage Green' (SR.1/C21) which the book calls 'Olive' (SR.3/C12). There's a coloured 1939 pic. of King Arthur No.789 Sir Guy in this livery, but, by then tho' it's had the O.V.S. Bulleid touch, and lost the loco's number from the tender's sides.

As you can see, like everything Southern, it's a minefield out there.

*I could be wrong, but I think these series of books were re-printed a little while ago.

Regards.

thanks guys what about shades of green ie Hornby Maunsells

I believe that all of Hornby's customers are highly satisfied with the Maunsell lined olive green. However there is divided opinion on the accuracy of the current Hornby model Bulleid green, which when introduced in real life, was described as "malachite". An alternative description is "mid chrome green".

As written elsewhere, the appearance of malachite changed with time, and living memories are too short. Some of us will have to compromise!

Hth

PB

Further to the above, there were two shades of Malachite green;- pre & post-war. The first version was found to weather badly, turning a slightly khaki shade after a short period in service. The post-war shade was better, but tended to turn more bluish after prolonged exposure to sunlight... Basically, it would be perfectly possible in any given group of locomotives for none of them to be exactly the same colour...

thanks guys what about shades of green ie Hornby Maunsells

Hi All .

I'm about to tread on this prickly patch of thorns, but here goes.

I know this shouldn't be done, but as I haven't got any of the Southern Railway liveried Maunsell coaches, only the BR(S) ones, I can only compare the colours depicted in the Hornby catalogue with the coloured squares in Brian Haresnape's book, refered to in my previous post.

Looking at what Hornby call 'Maunsell Green', this compares closely with what the book calls SR1/C21 Urie 'Sage Green' (LSWR). This being lighter than the later colour, which the book calls SR2/C20 'Maunsell Green' (also refered to as 'Parsons Green'* or LSWR Emu Green in the text).

Confused already ?. Yep, so am I...

Moving on to Hornby's coaches painted in what they refer to as 'Bulleid Green', unlined and with the 'Sunshine (Golden) Yellow' lettering and numerals. This matches closely with the book's colour patch of what is described as SR4/C14 'Bullied Malachite Green', first applied mid-1945.

There's no mention, in the book, to the pre-war shade of 'Malachite', but as 10800 points out in his post, there is an on-going thread discussion taking place elsewhere on this forum. See 10800's link.

Possibly ?, Hornby have used the post-war shade of Malachite to paint their 'BR Green' Maunsells, as there seems to be little difference in hue, although the catalogue gives the period depicted as 'Late 1950s in one instance. The later, 1956, BR(S) Green being somewhat darker.

Regards.

* I always though Parsons Green was a suburb of London biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

Archived