Following on from the last instalment, I have finally got around to getting some of the rodding in place on the layout. This is of the round variety, with stools (or stands) at no more than 6'0" (12mm) centres.
The stools (on their bases) were superglued in place alongside the track using a straightish length of 0.25mm nickel silver wire as a guide to getting them in line. Once they were all secure, the wire was removed and rolled repeatedly between two pieces of sheet steel to remove any odd kinks and get a nice straight bit of wire again before a 90 degree bend was made at one end and close to that bend a little joggle inserted to raise the rod from the first angle crank to the level of the stools. It was then a simple matter of applying very little solder at the crank and each stool in turn to secure the wire in the saw cuts of the stools themselves. The two test rods that I've put in so far are for the Up end Up Main/Down Loop turnout and its associated FPL.
The FPL rodding passes beneath the rail in a little channel bored out with a very small dental burr. For this early type of FPL, there was a square section rod connecting (via very small (in 2mm) cranks) the FPL locking mechanism to the lifting bar. I made this by filing 0.5mm wire to a square section and putting a couple of rings on each end to represent the bearings that the square section revolved in. The FPL itself is simply some 0.005" plasticard strip laid along the top of the baulk next to the rail, although I have shied away from any representation of the lifting bar cranks. The reason for making these small components is that for my period of interest these items were painted red by the GWR and will therefore be very noticable if not a feature so I really felt that something other than just the FPL cover in the 4' was needed.
I'm pretty pleased with the results, although it probably doesn't stand the close scrutiny of macro digital photography!! Below are some images of the construction :
Rodding Stools fixed in place before the rodding attached (although the FPL and switch connection cranks have also been laid)
A cruel close up
Rodding being added for the FPL
Rodding to the FPL and Switch blades in place
I originally had the intention to add some short pieces of wire on top of the stools/rods to represent the top rollers on the stools. All being well I will try adding this refinement on a few stools to ascertain whether or not there is a visual improvement (and also how much extra work will be involved and whether it b***ers up what's there - any lingering with the iron will cause the wire to buckle from expansion!)