I noticed that whilst I included a photo of the chassis in my previous entry, there wasn't one of the almost completed loco. Now rectified. It will look a lot better once decked out in GWR unlined green.
I also noticed that in my previous entry I referred to the motor as being a 1620. I should have said 1420.
One small point I forgot to mention which illustrates well the frustration with modelling this particular class. There are two spare lamp brackets on the left hand side of the footplate. I had the copy of GWRJ 75 at my desk and looked at several photos showing the left hand side and in every case the brackets were equidistant from the centre of the splasher. The photo of 848 though showed the right hand side. Having fitted the spare lamp brackets I looked again at the photo on the internet showing the left hand side (taken from a RMWeb post) and the rear lamp bracket was much farther back than in all the other examples, the forward one was in the same position. A small point and one easily corrected but it shows how difficult it is to model this class.
One other point that I took from the photo is the footplate piping, yes it does curve down towards the rear on the prototype. I'm also intrigued as to what the prominent cylinder is on the tank top in front of the cab spectacle plate. I can only assume it is something to do with the auto apparatus.
In my previous entry I noted that with this kit I used Alan Gibson plunger pickups. I would certainly use them again as they impose no more drag on the wheels than conventional wire pickups, are probably more reliable and, provided you paint the part of the bush peeping out behind the wheel (which I haven't done) unobtrusive. It is though early days.
As to CSB, yes if the kit provided for it then I would use it again. An unexpected bonus with using it on an 0-4-2T is that the drive can be on the rear coupled axle and the motor and gearbox accomodated within the tank assembly. If using compensation then the rear coupled axle is compensated with the pony truck and the drive has to be on the front coupled axle with potentially gearbox or motor showing under the boiler. CSB certainly works well on this loco, it runs very well although I had to add some lead to allow the spring steel wire to deflect sufficiently. However a compensated chassis with a High Level 60:1 gearbox will also run well.
This just about finishes my modelling this season, the garden and long distance walks beckon. I had hoped to be able to experiment with wooden sleeper trackwork and some ideas I have for point construction but it looks as though that will have to wait till the autumn. Trouble is I just like fiddling around with loco kits!