Over the past few days ballasting has been done, to a passable finish. I'm using some type of Woodland Scenics grey fine stone ballast, which comes out a bit "shiny" so I need to hunt around in the garage for my airbrush and its new needle, and then track weathering will start taking place. I think this should look much better than the brush method of painting track as the sleepers wont rub against the paint which gives me at last annoying brass streaks on my rusty rails.
Obviously there is still a lot of cleaning up to do, and in the above photo is a good example of how the ballast looks to new. I have also used track pins rather than glue, this was needed as some of the foam unglued itself from the middle of the baseboard creating a rebellious hill that refused to be flattened, as did the track that goes over it. Parts of baseboard also need painting green probably, or I will just cover the area in dirt from outside, glued down with my PVA mix.
I also put the long platform and station building in for a test, just to see how it all looked. The result I think is good, but obviously the second one needs adding! The long platform also has the remnants of its paper brick coverings upon it, which will be scraped off soon. Part, well actually most of the station building needs weathering still, I did this with a pretty heavy black acrylic wash applied in ludicrous amounts everywhere and then lightly wiped with a cloth. I think it gives quite a good affect, and leaves lots of "soot" on the horizontal surfaces. The interior has yet to be sorted, but I'm thinking just putting black paper inside to stop it glowing, and hope the viewers attention is drawn more to the tracks than the building.
Today some running might be done with my Bachmann 3f to test how clean the track is.