I had to take a difficult decision today. Despite great patience from the exhibition manager I have reluctantly decided not to debut the layout over the May bank holiday.
The reasons for this are:
- The station building and platform is unfinished
- The control system is not finished- all switching would be via hand of god method.
- I have 2 chipped locos, but key items of stock are still absent, despite offers of loans from Kris I feel I will not be able to do justice to the traffic in my chased time period.
- There is no fiddle yard.
- More alarmingly there are no legs!
- I will not get the electromagnets or couplings done in time
- The engine for the van to move the layout is sitting on the workshop floor!
On the plus side I reviewed my list and I got about half of it done. The yard is now fully functional and I drove trains all over it today. I am sure this way I will have a much better display and a layout that I can operate more prototypically. I have been looking at computer control systems for automation as well. That I suspect is a whole new can of worms.
I am a bit gutted, having never missed a deadline I have set myself before, however I can take a breath to plan developments. Perhaps Taunton in October or Truro?
Thats all folks!
Til next month...