Jump to content

Gareth001

RMweb Gold
  • Content Count

    128
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

519 Good

1 Follower

About Gareth001

Profile Information

  • Location
    Ashley, Kent
  • Interests
    7mm scale, UK Industrial

Recent Profile Visitors

427 profile views
  1. Fair enough....keep in touch and very best wishes to you both. I'll make the transfer in a minute. Cheers, Gareth.
  2. It's a deal. Very glad you're both doing well. Do you have any other goodies we might be able to bundle in? very best regards, Gareth.
  3. Hi Kevin......hope you're doing well. Would you take £100 for the 2 Barclays? Very best wishes, Gareth.
  4. Thanks Kevin...I hope it'll look better when I've done some more detailing, painting and weathering.
  5. The wharf wall now in position, with a quick misting of greeny sludge over grey primer, prior to weathering proper.
  6. Very sorry to hear your news, and all best wishes for a swift improvement. Best regards, Gareth.
  7. I've made a start on the mill building, cutting out the front elevation and lightly scribing on guidelines for the weatherboarding. I had some problems with the windows to begin with until I discovered a line overcut feature on the cutter, and increased the thickness of the glazing bars by 0.02mm. Mk1, 2 and 3 below. I think this is about the limit for this machine, but I don't think such fine details could be achieved with casting or a laser cut (I could be wrong!). Even a brass etching would be a challenge, and expensive too.
  8. Here's the 7mm version for comparison.
  9. I've scaled down a version of my own 7mm kit for a terraced house, and although the muntins (or glazing bars) have lost a tiny bit of definition when compared to the O gauge version, I'm quite pleased with the result. The kit is designed to give the builder a choice of finishes and detailing: what is shown here is the unpainted version of the basic kit. I'm going to put a representation of a rendered finish on this pair.
  10. And some pics of the row of castings in place (sort of). When I stick them on I'll raise them a bit so the railhead isn't higher than the dockside.
  11. The pics below show what I was trying to describe. You can see what I mean about the weakness of the mould at the top. The closeup is a bit cruel, and shows flash on the mould I hadn't even noticed. Having seen that, I'm surprised (but pleased) that the castings come out as well as they do!
  12. Hi Barnaby. the panels don't just butt up together: the timber stanchion at the right hand end of the panel is cast half on and half off the stone section behind, so that when the panels are put together it overlaps the adjacent one. I don't think I've described it very well...I'll post a pic tomorrow. What this means is that the edge of the mould is wider at the bottom than at the top ( the same apples to the part where the stanchions rise above the wall). This in turn means the casting has to be coaxed out of the mould, which is not usually a problem as long as the undercut is not too deep,
  13. First castings out of the mould. Couple of schoolboy errors though...I didn't really use enough latex (cos I'm a skinflint) so the mould is a bit thin on the overlap areas, so may not last too long. I still have the pattern though, so I can make another mould. I've also realised that I should have made the panels a bit bigger than the depth of the baseboard edge, so that they at least match the rail height. I'll have to mount them a little higher...ho hum. I think the castings look ok though. They fit together nicely, and could also be used for some applications in 7mm too.
  14. Finished the pattern for the dockside wall, and remembered again why I moved to the more optically friendly 7mm scale. Drilling the holes to represent where the chair bolts had been in re-used sleepers was particularly migraine inducing. We'll see how the mould comes out in the morning....I'm a little apprehensive about the overhang in the pattern to allow the panels to link together, but I think the mould will be flexible enough to deal with it.
  15. I fancy the idea of the front of the baseboard being part of the scenery, so I'm going to make an old harbour wall, with the idea that it could be a silted up canal basin or disused estuary port, or the tide could be out. This is part of the master, made from 10 thou styrene stones on a 20 thou backing. When it's finished I'll make a mould and cast enough for the whole of the front of the layout. Sorry about the poor photo, and I couldn't rotate it for some reason.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.