Jump to content

GH in EM and O

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

106 profile views

GH in EM and O's Achievements



  1. Been there, done that. (Racing on the Isle of Man, not driving to Preston)
  2. For the rods, try a mix of Humbrol Metalcote Polished Steel, and no 9 Gloss Tan. Brush it on, then at least 24 hours later, polish it up with a cotton bud. It really brings it to life. For wheels, I tend to give a light spray over with a similar mix of what I have used on the body, specifically a mid brown and matt black, mixed 1:2, and plenty of thinners.
  3. I would confirm this is in the down direction, and I also agree with the area being between Romford and Gidea Park. The fast lines are on the south side after the flyover between Manor Park and Ilford take the slow lines from the south side to the north. Also, after Romford, there is quite a long straight run.
  4. Hi David, I could not see if you had received a reply on this yet, so I thought I would offer my view points: I would suggest removing the solder that has crept through before painting, otherwise it will result in a lumpy finish. I use a scraper, especially for this process, and this gets into the corners nicely. I would suggest the instructions are referring to the part of the roof below the gutter that locates inside the coach body, in each corner. You only need to remove about 1mm on each corner, and it just helps to clear any solder obstructions in the corner joints of the body. If you want the roof permanently fixed, which would add to the strength of the body assembly, then glue is the only option. I would probably use rapid araldite. However, my preference is to make the roof bolt on, but this is more work, and requires additional tools and materials. I attach a photo of my cleaning tools (one of Tony's photos taken for the book). The scraper is on the left. I think I got this from Eileen's Emporium.
  5. It has been very interesting reading the various comments started by Tony talking about when the hobby becomes the day job. I have been full time at this for five years now, and like Tony, I came from the classroom. I started with a view to providing a complete service, ie building, painting and lining, but I have reached the stage where the lead time for a build is longer than I would like, so I am now receiving more painting and lining jobs. A number of the clients for whom I build often give me another kit or two, each time I pass them a completed project. Whilst I therefore have a rather full work load, I do enjoy the way of life. I can start as early as I like, without the need to travel to and from a place of work, or I can go for a cycle ride first. I also like to bake, so occasionally I will get something in the oven between tasks in the workshop. There are some very entertaining programmes to listen to on BBC sounds, and I get through a number of jazz programmes during the week. It has to be music whilst spraying, but it can be a drama or a comedy whilst lining or building. I also quite often have the phone on hands free. When friends or clients call, they are generally concerned about taking up time and stopping me from working. Unless I am spraying, for the most part, it is easy to chat whilst working. Handing over the finished models is normally a very rewarding part of the process, which I try to do face to face, as I like to see the client's reaction. I am fortunate to have a number of clients, and they are virtually all very patient. I will not rush something, and will redo something until I am happy with it. One thing that caused me stress whilst teaching was not getting enough time to do some modelling. By making it the day job, that issue was instantly solved! It is fair to say that I have a number of my own kits that are partly built, or yet to be started, and will not be touched in the immediate future, but I am happy working on other peoples projects. As such, I have encountered a variety of liveries and models that I would not otherwise have encountered.
  6. Nice job Tom. You should be able to get much of the way round the cab front with the bow pen, leaving just the end parts to do with the brush.
  7. At one stage I was borrowing a CD from my brother to see if I could get into it. It did rather sound like a record that had got stuck. I will have to ask what it actually was.
  8. Towards the end of last week, I decided I needed to give the smoke deflectors on the two pacifics a rub down and another coat of black. The finish on these need to be just right. A simple masking job with a piece of paper behind each one, and a little tape at the bottom. Today, I put the cream lines on the B16/3 and the K1. This will need a few days to dry before I can put the grey line next to it, but the red can go on at any point now. However, I will put the red lines on the C2 next. I had some particularly good Jazz on iplayer whilst I was doing this. So good that it was at times difficult to keep still enough to get the job done, but I did manage it in the end. The first time that Tony came over to take the photographs for my book, something felt like it was missing. Whilst we were talking here and there, whilst I was spraying or lining, it was almost silent, with Tony moving around behind and positioning the camera. However, I need something in the background whilst working, so next time Tony came, I had to inflict some of my music preferences on Tony. For the most part, I kept it light, and Tony didn't mind.
  9. Very impressive work Steve, the red line below the footplate shows out nicely. There are a lot of lines in this livery, aren't there.
  10. Thank you Tony, I will check my paint supplies and sharpen the bow pen...
  11. I am quite pleased, as I have just worked out how to reply to a post! I painted the buffer beams on the four black engines today, as I was getting tired of all the masking. I will paint the buffer beams on the pacifics when I start on the 7mm Jubilee that is next in line. I have plenty of lining to do in the mean time on these. I was interested by your comment Atso (Steven?) about the order of colours. If I was working only in enamels, I would have started with the buffer beams, as this is the smallest area to mask, then worked up in size order in terms of the next area to mask. However, I am governed by the fact that I am working with cellulose paints for the main colours, and these must be applied before enamels. After the painting, I reverted to a 7mm scale 8F, which incorporates Hobby Holidays' ball bearing hornblocks. Today it had its first run, and I was impressed with the difference these bearings made.
  12. Someone requested an update on the painting of the six locos I primed just over a week ago. They have all had the black applied, over the course of a couple of spraying sessions, and today the two pacifics were painted green. Next will be the buffer beams, possibly over two sessions due to all the masking, then I can start on the lining.
  13. A busy morning today, priming six locos, all built by Tony. I think that is the most I have done in one go, and as many as I can fit in the drying propagators.
  14. I have a couple of pentrollers, two panel mounted and one hand (slave) controller. One of the panel mounted controllers has gone wrong. As soon as the direction switch is moved from the centre off position, the loco moves off at top speed, as if the controller knob has been bypassed. Does anyone know if these can be repaired please?
  • Create New...