Belford Grain Silos - Where they served by Speedlink?

JohnH

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

If they were - I've never seen it happen in over 20 years going to and fro the mother in law's house in Belford.

I've been down to the coal merchants for her when coal was still being brought in and walked all the way down past the grain silos.

Couldn't see any sign of rail access directly to the silos.

I suppose it's possible that grain was dealt with using the siding to the coal staithes and conveyors used - but I didn't see it done.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

A quick 'phone discussion with Mother in Law has been had....

She is of the opinion that the owner of the silos was acting as an agregator in order to make bulk transport available to more of the farmers.

He would act as agent in securing the best price and then dispatch wagon loads by road either north or south depending on the top price obtained.

So - I'm doubtful that BR was ever involved in providing a rail service for grain at this location.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I'm not calling her again and asking about stuff sent by rail from Belford Station!

Her instant response is 'Why do they want to know about that' followed by a tirade about how nosey railway modellers are....

She is 80 and lives in a cottage at what she calls 'the wrong side of the crossing'.

Thanks

Hi Mark,

I'm not calling her again and asking about stuff sent by rail from Belford Station!

Her instant response is 'Why do they want to know about that' followed by a tirade about how nosey railway modellers are....

She is 80 and lives in a cottage at what she calls 'the wrong side of the crossing'.

Thanks

Next time remind her that "shy bairns get no toys"!

Mark

Archived