Wellington Street

Mike

First the good news.... Work Shop should be with me a week early on the 23rd so just two more sleeps. Now the bad news as my electrician was booked for the 30th I wont have any electrics for another week. Pants. Still I do have a very long extension lead so all is not completely lost.;)

• 4 months later...

Well it's back to square one in that it will be standard gauge- why? well having purchased 4 Marcway points for less than half price it seems silly not to. So first steps are to modify the points from self isolating to live frog with bounded switch blades so they don't rely on blade to stock contact for electrical continuity.

post-185-0-07588100-1449060884.jpg

shows gap between crossing and switch blades with plastic fish plates fitted

post-185-0-96691600-1449060918.jpg

shows bonding between stock rail and switch blades.

The white showing on the sleepers is filler to hide the gaping of the copper clad, just needs cleaning up prior to eventual painting.

I hate to be the one to point it out (no pun intended) but the blades do not rely on contact. They are electrically connected by the copperclad surface of the sleepers.

The Marcway point work has the copper-clad sleeper strip gaped between the stock rail and the point blade so it does rely on the blade being in contact with the stock rail for electrical continuity.This may well be different in other point work by other manufacturers or self builds.

All four points now modified so it's on to the track. I will be building this with sleepers set 2" apart as they will be not seen under the grot and ash/cinder ballast. I will use card infills between the sleepers so that there is a level surface for just a thin layer of ballast etc. Still undecided about point operation, manual. slow action motors or basic self latching motors, I really need to make a decision before fixing any track work down.

If you are going to build a layout that you plan to exhibit, ideally it has to be light, easy to erect and have as few as possible separate  bits and bobs such as legs. Here is my solution, Table Leg hinges, simples.;)

post-185-0-63260100-1449664242.jpg

post-185-0-73836200-1449664257.jpg

post-185-0-63943900-1449664275.jpg

post-185-0-24495700-1449664292.jpg

Nice neat solution to the legs there Mike.

From you photos it looks like the end of the leg doesn't butt up against anything when it's folded out. Will you be adding something for it to butt against for stability or is it stable enough like that?

Oh, and I hope you don't mind me asking but - whilst I remember - what do you use to cut your 2mm Lite Ply with for your buildings?

I've just got some to have a go myself and I'm not sure on what to use as it's not a material I'm familiar with?

Nice neat solution to the legs there Mike.

From you photos it looks like the end of the leg doesn't butt up against anything when it's folded out. Will you be adding something for it to butt against for stability or is it stable enough like that?

Oh, and I hope you don't mind me asking but - whilst I remember - what do you use to cut your 2mm Lite Ply with for your buildings?

I've just got some to have a go myself and I'm not sure on what to use as it's not a material I'm familiar with?

The legs seem stable enough, but I have added cross bracing and I may just add something for them to butt up to. For cutting the light ply I just use a standard Exacto knife with a number 11 blade. Hope this helps.

Hi Mike,

First look at the thread, like the alfresco work bench and trust you made a fitting speech (more Black Country Latin) following the cutting of the ribbon by your esteem celebrity guests - nice touch,Mike, Mandy thought it was great. 

Nice to see the progress that we chatted about at Warley - my first visit there in over 18 years, a visit promoted by the last/first showing of Reely/Muck/Primrose.

Peckett arrived for Ashwood, very nice, smooth runner 

Hopefully chat before Christmas, give us a bell, avoid Fridays - busy planning Hardwicke, drinking Tea and taking the.... (rise) - can't beat a good 'josh'

I will follow this with the utmost interest.

Very Best regards,

John G

I have set the layout at table top height as having stood behind layouts at too many shows I will be able to sit down and operate this new one. I have just completed a new laser cut baseboard which will give me at opportunity to build the street scene of Wellington Street. The new board is a 45 degree corner board although it will actually be an end board to allow greater flexibility with the point work. :)

post-185-0-90470900-1450133145.jpg

post-185-0-36751600-1450133159.jpg

post-185-0-21616500-1450133169.jpg

I have set the layout at table top height as having stood behind layouts at too many shows I will be able to sit down and operate this new one. I have just completed a new laser cut baseboard which will give me at opportunity to build the street scene of Wellington Street. The new board is a 45 degree corner board although it will actually be an end board to allow greater flexibility with the point work. :)

Hi Mike, where did you get the boards from? They look very similar to the laser cut boards I have on order.

Dougal.

Archived