Help for diesel dunce South Wales 1960

t8hants

I have my Ian Allan B.R. Locomotives (Western Region) book for summer 1960, with all the numbers I managed to spot on our annual trip to the Vale of Neath  in September. 

What I haven't a clue about is would I have seen any non steam traction down that part of the world, say between Cardiff and Swansea. 

If so what types were there, and as the only diesel I can recognise by number is an 08, I am going to have to look up any types you tell me I should have spotted, but didn't have the book.

Its for my new layout.

Oh yes, what colour would they have been?

Thanks.

Gareth

I have my Ian Allan B.R. Locomotives (Western Region) book for summer 1960, with all the numbers I managed to spot on our annual trip to the Vale of Neath  in September. 

What I haven't a clue about is would I have seen any non steam traction down that part of the world, say between Cardiff and Swansea. 

If so what types were there, and as the only diesel I can recognise by number is an 08, I am going to have to look up any types you tell me I should have spotted, but didn't have the book.

Its for my new layout.

Oh yes, what colour would they have been?

Thanks.

Gareth

I'm pretty certain the only diesel locos you'd have seen then would have been BR 204hp (03) and 350 hp (08) shunters. The 03s were used as station or yard pilots at locations like Whitland and Gowerton, where their extra turn of speed (28 mph vice 15 mph for the 08) made it easier to find paths back to bigger depots for fuelling and maintenance. The 08s served in the various yards, closer to facilities. I'm almost 100% certain that the first appearances of main-line diesel traction would have been the EE Type 3s in 1963/4; within 18 months, steam was but a memory.

On the passenger side, DMMUs, notably Swindon 120s, were starting  to make an impact; I remember riding on one, with a functioning buffet, from Llanelli to Tenby in 1961 or '62

If you can get hold of a copy, there's an excellent photo album called 'The Red Dragon, and other old friends', much of which is set in the period you're looking at.

Colours? The 03s would have been green, some without wasp-stripes, whilst the 08s might have been black or green.

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty certain the only diesel locos you'd have seen then would have been BR 204hp (03) and 350 hp (08) shunters. The 03s were used as station or yard pilots at locations like Whitland and Gowerton, where their extra turn of speed (28 mph vice 15 mph for the 08) made it easier to find paths back to bigger depots for fuelling and maintenance. The 08s served in the various yards, closer to facilities. I'm almost 100% certain that the first appearances of main-line diesel traction would have been the EE Type 3s in 1963/4; within 18 months, steam was but a memory.

On the passenger side, DMMUs, notably Swindon 120s, were starting  to make an impact; I remember riding on one, with a functioning buffet, from Llanelli to Tenby in 1961 or '62

If you can get hold of a copy, there's an excellent photo album called 'The Red Dragon, and other old friends', much of which is set in the period you're looking at.

Colours? The 03s would have been green, some without wasp-stripes, whilst the 08s might have been black or green.

1000s and Hymeks had appeared on Padd - Swansea workings before the EE Type 3s arrived and were probably on the Fishguard boat trains as well and other passenger workings west of Swansea but I'm not so sure about the 'Pembroke Coast Express' west of Swansea.

DMUs were still rare west of Carmarthen in 1960 - I know that at first their only working on the Pembroke branch was a Sunday only trip

1000s and Hymeks had appeared on Padd - Swansea workings before the EE Type 3s arrived and were probably on the Fishguard boat trains as well and other passenger workings west of Swansea but I'm not so sure about the 'Pembroke Coast Express' west of Swansea.

DMUs were still rare west of Carmarthen in 1960 - I know that at first their only working on the Pembroke branch was a Sunday only trip

Just checked Dad's moves and found he had his first Hymek from Neath on 19/04/62 (D7025). They seem to have been pretty solid on expresses by the summer.

He didn't have a Western until June '63 (after a few dozen Hymek moves) but they were soon the dominant traction.

Danygraig got it's first batch of 03's in the second half on 1959 (D2114-D2127). 08's arrived three years earlier, at Llanelli and Neath.

Archived