Coombe Bridge 009

mozzer models

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I now have acquired "Coombe Bridge" and have re-located it to North West Wales, although it actually resides in North East Wales, if you see what I mean!!!

I just need to redo the backdrop as it has got loads of bubbles/creases on it, so I will replace it with a painting of typical Welsh countryside and add some "Corris'" type buildings which I built years ago for a now defunct layout. And, of course, get on with building stock (locomotives/coaches). 

Hopefully it will be back on the exhibition circuit before long!

Narrowman (Tony) 

www.tonysmodelrailways.co.uk/

Edited by narrowman
  • Like 2

I now have purchased "Coombe Bridge" and have re-located it to North West Wales, although it actually resides in North East Wales, if you see what I mean!!!

I just need to redo the backdrop as it has got loads of bubbles/creases on it, so I will replace it with a painting of typical Welsh countryside and add some "Corris'" type buildings which I built years ago for a now defunct layout. And, of course, get on with building stock (locomotives/coaches). 

Hopefully it will be back on the exhibition circuit before long!

Narrowman (Tony) 

www.tonysmodelrailways.co.uk/

East is  East  &  West  Is  West,  I  wonder  where  the  dividing  line  is!!!

Good  luck  with  the  layout

Steve  Lewis  Nr  Mold

• 2 months later...

I've decided to retain its location in Yorkshire, but the Yorkshire Dales. I will be adding some more mills, but it will now be modern image, so expect modern cars, a classic car show and modern locos and stock. The wrinkled back scene will also be replaced by a painted back scene.

Tony

• Like 1

Progress on Coombe Bridge has somewhat come to an abrupt stop, as the shelving I had put up to store the layout, collapsed and reduced the fiddle yard to two sections again..

office+010A.jpg

The result of my landslide!  May and Corbyn we looking for one, but I actually got one...  Repairs are underway, with the fiddle yard being worse than I expected. Brian had built them VERY well and took quite a long time to get them apart. They are now being put together...

This is the last day of modelling/repairing, as I must carry on with my Snow Leopard Scientific Expedition proposals to potential sponsors/crews (see www.overlandtravel.org.uk for further details)

Snow-Leopard1+SLF.jpg

So no more modelling until that is complete (hopefully, next week!)

Fiddle yard has now been rebuilt and I have been also rebuilding the mills, which are now low relief and a section of "hill" has now been removed to locate them.

Must start on the back scenes as soon as I can.

I'll get some photos up soon, as soon as my new battery recharger arrives!!

Tony

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got to stop work on this layout for a week or two as I need to get a couple of my other layouts finished. Such as my Gn15 "McHale's Yard" and my On30 "Colorado Heritage Railroad".  Colorado needs extending by adding another board, which is the same size as the main board and McHele's Yard needs completely rebuilding on two four foot boards, which have already been built, so (hopefully) they won't take time to finish...

Tony

Edited by narrowman

28th July

Still working on the Snow Leopard Expedition and I've got a new co-driver, which is good news, but I'll have to get on with the rebuild of my Land Rover Discovery 1, which will involve cutting out the rusty boot floor and welding in a new one, which I have now purchased!  So, no more modelling  for quite a while. Then there's the bottom of the sills to do... and the front inner wings, which only need patching...

Today was 'lost' clearing out the boot ready to use the angle grinder on the floor, but the heavy rain put an end to that (I do not work with electric in the rain!!!), so it was on with loading up a couple of software packages for press releases and proposals, so they have now been completed. It looks like it's no going to rain all day tomorrow, so hopefully, I'll be able to remove all the floor, so I can see what condition the floor supports are like (not good, I assume!) and get on with rubbing down the surface rust ready for a coat of Hammerite. 

Hopefully, I'll have a bit of time to have a go and have a go at working out the track layout for he second board for my On30 Colorado Heritage Railroad layout, which I did do a bit of modelling yesterday, in taking off the end of the original board! 

I expect Sunday will be a day off from the Land Rover (if we have heavy rain as predicted) and the Snow Leopard Expedition, as it's the end of the Summer break for BTCC on ITV4. So, depending what the support races are, I might get a bit of modelling done!!!

Tony

Still working on the Snow Leopard Scientific Expedition, which we can call it that now, as my co-driver is a qualified scientist! and I've now got a dedicated website

www.snow-leopard-expedition.co.uk, so you can see what we're up to and join us if you wish!

Colorado still needs the two end pieces cut and all I've done with McHale's Yard is select a few cars that need "distressing"  Now where's that liquid rust bottle?...

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Actually done some modelling today, finishing off some 009 coach and wagon kits, that have been in boxes for far too long..

Popping down to see the grand children tomorrow, so it's playing with radio controlled cars over the weekend, a nice change from model railways and deciding where we're going for holidays this year... Cardiganshire or Pembrokeshire...

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Popped down to Epsom a fortnight ago to see the family, but had a lot of problems walking about, with bad pains in my lower right leg, which has continued last week. Booked in at the hospital to see the physio about an arm problem next Tuesday, but might call in the docs on Monday to sort my leg out. Basically, I'm falling apart!!!

I did do a small amount of modelling, before i went - built a 4 wheel diesel shunter to pull my works wagons (Ebay win) along...

Went on a coach trip to Leeds yesterday (Saturday) and spent most of the day in the Armory, which was very good (If you like killing machines throughout time past!). Managed a walk from the bus station to the Armory and back (with help from my walking stick!).

The coach driver took us back along some old city narrow roads, with plenty of old buildings, some that have been modernised and others looking fairly original. I don't know the amount of WW2 damage the city had, but I remember the large gaps in Liverpool, with levelled areas cleared and the rubble dumped in the Mersey, some sites which have only recently had new buildings covering the old damage. 

The Leeds dock area around the Armory, has been more or less totally rebuild, with a plaque in the wall listing the

old businesses that were there. Interesting!  Must go back and have a good look around, when my leg works better!!!

Tony

My doctor booked me into hospital last week and went to the sport physio department, who had a look at my badly worn shoes and declared that I needed insoles fitted to my shoes, which will (hopefully) core my leg problems. Luckily I had ordered two more pairs of shoes, but they hadn't arrived before I went to the hospital, so the physio was able to see the problem a lot quicker!!! So, now all of my shoes have inserts, one pair for driving, one for hiking and a pair of trainers - with inserts (instead of slippers) for 'around the house' wear! I hate trainers, but if they help in curing my problems, I'm quite happy to wear them (around the house).

"Modelling" was mainly looking what I have stored in various boxes and rebuilding some badly made job lots 'Ebay' wins and removing loads of 'flash' from plastic kits, which will need some 'wet'n'dry' to be purchased to finish them off, before gluing them together!

I did do a bit of preparation on the two mills which will become the arts centre, which will have floors added, with 'art' attached to the back walls and some artists working...

I also won an Ebay win of a couple of bridge girders for the addition of "Coombe Bridge" itself over a new river that will be constructed soon... and probably replace the railway viaduct.

Tony

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: 23rd OCTOBER 2018

I've been making some radical decisions!!!

My layouts will now be Coombe Bridge  (009), Hockenhull Platts (O9) and Colorado Heritage Railroad (On30).

and my Gn15 Sandhills Estate Railway.

Work will stop on my other layouts, which may be sold or just stored. 

I'm waiting for the expected bad weather to come and pass, before emptying my shed, lining it and placing Coombe Bridge in there, with Colorado Heritage runing around the sides of the shed (10'x8') with a 'duck under' across the shed door. Forks Trestle will be across the opposite end to the door, which should fit with enough space for two curves to join two 4 foot boards each side towards another curve across the door. The shed will be covered by CCTV and my alarms will be upgraded, but the stock will not be kept in there,  but kept in the house (as usual) after 'play' has finished. The electric heaters will also be reinstalled ready for some (but probably not that many!!!) sessions during the winter season!!!.

Edited by narrowman

Guest mydadstoys

Hi mozzer this is a fantastic little layout, I have enjoyed reading and watching your build come together. The modelling and scenery work is very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.:)

Hi mozzer this is a fantastic little layout, I have enjoyed reading and watching your build come together. The modelling and scenery work is very nicely done. Thanks for sharing. :)

its no longer my layout i sold it to Tony http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/851-narrowman/

It was a nice build all done in less that a year

Edited by mozzer models