How's best to go about creating Vintage Trains' railtour rake?

Hi knowledgeable folks of RMWeb!

I purchased the Bachmann "The Shakespeare Express" train pack recently, and after wiping the drool from my chin caused by the model of 4965 'Rood Ashton Hall', I set thinking about adding to the three supplied coaches from Vintage Trains' railtour rake of coaches. Looking over a thread on a similar topic in the Bachmann sub-forum tantalised me even more. The thread can be found here.

I have four Bachmann Mk2 TSOs, a Mk2 BSO and a Mk1 Pullman that would be suitable for lengthening the train. The Pullman coaches in the set do not match the colour of the existing Pullman coach I own, which is from the first run that Bachmann did with a white roof, as the 'umber and cream' of the Shakespeare coaches are the same shade of choc and cream as the Mk1 BSK in the pack. Unfortunately, I do not have any Bachmann Mk1s in choc and cream to compare the colours with, but I'm guessing they have colour matched the models with the real things. The Mk2s are all in blue and grey, so will need repainting completely.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone would be able to advise me on the following:

• I intend on repainting the Mk2s, and probably the Pullman, into choc and cream, so which paints do you think are a good match for BR choc and cream? I don't mind whether the paints are acrylic or enamel as I can work with either.
  • What would be the best choice for lining the Mk2s? I've looked at Fox Transfers, Modelmaster & HMRS pressfix and all of them seem to do the gold/black lining that'll be required, so which is deemed to be the better option out of those or in fact any other manufacturer that may do them? Same goes for lettering, orange cantrail stripe, window stickers, etc. Which are well recommended from personal experience?
  • What would be the best choice for lining out the Pullman? I was unable to find a Mk1 Pullman lining sheet like the lining sheets for regular coach lining. Are there any plain gold or straw lining sheets that can be chopped about?

Obviously, a lot of what I'm asking would be down to personal preference, but seeing as I'm not experienced in painting coaches and which shades match well to the real thing, I'm starting out a bit blind. I'll make sure to practise on an old coach before committing to my best models!

Thank you for reading, and I hope I haven't come across as sounding needy and ungrateful as I do appreciate the advice that is imparted by the members of this site, and I hope to learn a great deal from the knowledge that you all share.

I would google for photos of the relavent stock

E311E First Kitchen

E335E Second Kitchen

E349E Second Parlour

E353E Second Parlour

9101/9398

Pullman livery is not the same as BR Ch/C and railtour stock normally does not always have an accurate representation of the 'origional' livery. Also there are often variations between the liveries on coaches in any set although AFAIK the VT stock is more consistent than most. Therefore photos are a great help

From the publicity photos the pack comes with 35470 (support coach),  a PSK - pesumably E335E - and one of the PSP Second Parlour. Therefore, for a full rake you will need a PFK and and a PSP. I have no idea which brake coach is used (or both) but I don't think that anybody does a BFK (17018) in OO so go with the BSOT/BSO 9101/9398

Archived