Hornby Silver Jubilee Set

Hilux5972

When 2509 Silver Link was first built, the handrail ran straight all the way to the cab.

I've seen a photo of it in Brunswick Green where the handrail dips before it reaches the cab.

But was it ever like that when it was painted silver grey?

Looking at the photos on the Hornby website, the pipe which runs underneath the handrail is painted silver on Silver Fox, but grey on Silver Link, Quicksilver and Silver King.

I've got Quicksilver from set R2445, the same pipe is painted silver on that version.  Wonder which one is correct?

2509 definitely had curved-down handrails for most of its 1930s service, few photos I have seen show it straight, but I shall read more on the subject. I bow to vastly better-informed people on this subject.

Edit, here is my photo-edited version of the curved handrail of c1936

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/page-26&do=findComment&comment=2122765

I have a photo of 2510 Quicksilver in silver, hauling the Silver Jubilee train, with which has the later wider-curve downwards like the BR days. 

According to the wonderful RCTS locomotives of the LNER book 2509 had the hand rail modified in 1937 when repainted into Garter blue so it never ran in Silver with the modified hand rail.  

I am very pleased to see Hornby have remembered how to correctly apply the lettering after some recent issues and might have to pick one up as a treat from Santa.

• RMweb Premium

Whoa there ! Don't get carried away with emotion. ATM,Rob is correct. "Silver Fox" is not listed on their website. The other 3 are. I suspect this one has been popular because of the cute fox emblem on its casing.

That's why I wanted it lol. Chromed boiler bands and all. My pay week just happened to be at odds with the release. Hopefully there are still some available at Rails next week.

• RMweb Gold

That's why I wanted it lol. Chromed boiler bands and all. My pay week just happened to be at odds with the release. Hopefully there are still some available at Rails next week.

There are several e bay sellers who have them,I think.Do not despair.The one you want will turn up.

When 2509 Silver Link was first built, the handrail ran straight all the way to the cab.

I've seen a photo of it in Brunswick Green where the handrail dips before it reaches the cab.

But was it ever like that when it was painted silver grey?

Looking at the photos on the Hornby website, the pipe which runs underneath the handrail is painted silver on Silver Fox, but grey on Silver Link, Quicksilver and Silver King.

I've got Quicksilver from set R2445, the same pipe is painted silver on that version.  Wonder which one is correct?

There are some interesting photos of Silver Link in the ‘Loco Profile 19 Gresely A4s’ publication by  Ron Scott an Brian Reed that clearly show that the handrails at the cab end were originally straight. This was not the only unique feature in the first days of life either: No parabolic curve painted on the boiler sides - the dark grey livery was applied to the flat of the boiler front only. It also had short buffers and recessed casing for the screw coupling. Standard LNER name plates were attached rather than being painted on the boiler sides. Quite a few significant differences really prior to entering service. The pipe under the handrail does look grey rather than silver from what I can see on one of the photos but I can't be sure

Would have great if the Hornby model had reflected these differences on 2509 but nevertheless, an interesting and not too difficult modelling project all the same.  

Thanks for posting that photo robmcg.  Clearly it did run in silver grey, with curved handrails before the cab.  Although the curve does seem to be a lot sharper than on other A4's.

All the chrome bits on Silver Fox are appealing, so I can understand why it has sold out at Hattons.  But personally I would prefer Silver Fox in garter blue.  I believe it did run in garter blue with all it's chrome embellishments, including the Silver Fox.

When I bought Quicksilver, I got it on a bit of a whim.  It's probably my fourth choice out of the four silver grey locos.  I'm actually tempted to advertise it on Ebay and replace it with Silver King.  Especially now I've realised that the colour of the hand rails is not correct.  Unlike the other three locos, I think this release of Silver King is the first time it has appeared in the latest A4 tooling.  It also seems appropriate to have a Silver King for the Silver Jubilee set.

The first of class status of Silver Link is also appealing, but I would prefer the version that 00ERmissus describes, with straight handrails, no parabolic curve, short buffers and standard nameplate.

Is everyone generally happy with this latest batch of A4's.  I haven't bought a new loco for over a year.  One day it dawned on me how much I'd been spending on them and I decided to slow down a bit.  I was going to get Book Law earlier this year, but the poor reviews and inaccuracies put me off at the finish.

Indeed the handrails were originally straight at the cab end when new, together with the buffer and paintwork differences, I merely meant to point out that 2509 ran with curved handrails while silver I don't now when the changes were made. Photos of 2510 and 2511 also show curved handrails, even if they were probably? built with straight ones.

The curve was sharper on the early engines than later versions, the latter had a slightly longer curved section.

I think the models are superb regardless.

edit; overlapped with your message Mike70  I agree Book Law is/was pretty poor, I too hadn't really intended buying any of the Silver Jubilee set, already owning a 2509, but chose buy 2511 Sliver King in memory of my childhood desire to own the Hornby Dublo BR version (never realised), then thought Quicksilver 2510 would be nice because it took the pressure off Silver Link in the first heady days of the train's debut, leaving only 2512 to complete the quartet.

I was so taken aback by the very sudden drop from 'more than 10' Silver Fox R3309 in stock to 'out of stock;  less than 12hrs, that I thought it must be an error, and not so happy about paying £169 to Rails for 2512 but in the end succumbed. A fool and his money...   

FWIW we in the antipodean NZ have to pay taxes and import duty on purchases over NZ$400  UKP165 approx thus the purchases of single items not the full set at UKP530.  The Hattons price really was/is sharp.

Thank you Ian, I now have two 2512s....   waiting for the Exeter-style madness which will ensue..... :)

With 1000 Silver Jubilee sets produced I am guessing about 200 sets have been split, a completely un-informed guess, it may be more   but I'd still love to know why Hattons sold out of 2512 'Siliver Fox', their last 10 going in a matter of hours. 2509 by comparison has taken 4 days to go from 10 to under 3. And 2510 and 2511 still 'more than 10'.  

Either way I suspect these will keep their value ok.

For 'Golden Eagle' eyes, I could be wrong ( the lady of the house would agree), visit either the Engine Shed or the Hornby Advent Calendar. Click open the window for 11th Dec - the Raven Q6 video might have something of interest between 31 and 39 seconds - though I saw Gresley coaching something grey in the background.

• RMweb Gold

For 'Golden Eagle' eyes, I could be wrong ( the lady of the house would agree), visit either the Engine Shed or the Hornby Advent Calendar. Click open the window for 11th Dec - the Raven Q6 video might have something of interest between 31 and 39 seconds - though I saw Gresley coaching something grey in the background.

Hmmm.  Well spotted.  There appear to be two different kinds of coaches in grey.  The first few look different to those around the back of the circuit.

• RMweb Gold

It looks like people have taken your advice Ian.  Silver Link and Silver Fox are now showing as out of stock.

ATM the best deal on Silver Streaks.That said I'm flying a fit of the blues from The Isle Of Man.Pure nostalgia,of course

"Come streak on golden wings

Across the Irish Sea........"

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. Well spotted. There appear to be two different kinds of coaches in grey. The first few look different to those around the back of the circuit.

The second lot look like suburban coaches. Don't really see enough of the first lot to get a good opinion

It looks like people have taken your advice Ian.  Silver Link and Silver Fox are now showing as out of stock.

Both at Track Shack and a Hattons, 2509 and 2512 out of stock and both had good prices. It appears that Rails still have all four.

I saw a Sanda Kan version of 2512 Silver Fox on Ebay yesterday with three of the cheap Pullmans, £130  so they are about... and I bought it,

post-7929-0-75718100-1449866385_thumb.jpg

I am looking for differences from the new version 

Archived