Not the Flying Scotsman

Vicar47

I recently purchased on ebay a complete set of the Hachette part work kit of the Flying Scotsman. You don't want to know what I paid - you'll be jealous! It's going together very well especially as a careful reading of the instructions means I can correct the mistakes which seem to have been incorporated in the original, only for Hachette to issue new parts and give directions for rebuilding your work.

I'm thinking of giving it an identity other than Flying Scotsman, but A1 pacifics seem to be  a minefield of detail differences and I'm a modelmaker not an LNER expert. Can anyone out there tell me which locomotives were identical to the 1928 Flying Scotsman on which the kit is based, and where I might find alternative name plates and transfer numbers?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

It's not just the loco, but the tender, there were variations there too.

I'll not attempt to answer the first question, there are those out there who know this subject better than I do. I'd tend to look at locos built around the same time.

As for plates, it depends what you are prepared to pay. The best, by far, are from Seven Mill, http://www.severnmillnameplates.co.uk/nameplates.htm, from whom you get the plates, smokebox plate if required, works plates, tender plates and shed plate if required. He does every loco in that class, as far as I know, and his plates are exquisite.

Cheaper plates can be had for the class, no works plates, tender plates etc.

Archived