4mm Scale Buffer Stops

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone recommend a buffer stop kit for a rail-built buffer stop, that would be used on the Southern Region in the 1970's. I'd like it made from real rail, or white metal perhaps, rather than the plastic offering from Peco. This is for 16.5mm code 100 track.

Cheers, Chris (Geep7)

• RMweb Gold

Wow, cheers guys. Thanks for the quick responses. The Lanarkshire kits look just the ticket.

Hi, first I'd like to thank those who like our bufferstops, we try hard to get it right.

The Southern Railway ones seem to have caught the interest of Southern modellers and sell well possibly as these bufferstops were around before WW2 and some/many are still around today so a good spread of period. Bufferstops do have a long life, a Caledonian Railway one is still in use just a couple of miles away from here on the West Coast Main line, at least 100 years old but painted Network Rail yellow, ugh....

The straight rail type as mentioned has a history going back to, AFAIK, the LNWR, this one is a bit lightweight and mounted on the running rail as Pete Harvey has alluded to. then there seems to be an LMS one which is also pictured, the one with the long insert on the running rail and also diagonal bracing, this may be a heavier version of the LNWR type, then there is the LNER one which I'm told is a derivative of the GNR one, the gusset plates and brackets vary. The familiar BR one is very similar to the LNER one with just different gusset plates. So although the straight rail type may be seen over most of the country it figures that they are different types but a similar shape.

Here is what I believe is the BR built one, on the Caley main line at Larbet a few years ago note, different gusset plates.

post-10324-0-30363100-1444394461_thumb.jpg

Photo Chas Dougan, ScRSG

Dave Franks.[

Archived