Where to start

Catweasel

The Morristown and Erie have a whole bunch of private owner coaches (including sleepers).

1. They make money from storing them.

2. You can negotiate with them to be taken anywhere over North America in comfort and with a crew - for a price!

3. You’ll note from their website their line is used in feature films and music videos (it’s only 20 odd miles from Manhattan).

The M&E used to be considered unfriendly to fans and photographers but have recently changed their tune....

Best, Pete.

Regarding Catweazles request for info on card buildings - one site  that may be of use is Whitewash City by Erich Hotz  http://www.erichotz.com/whitewash.html They are downloadable .pdf at around $3 each and may very well need rescaling for HO (certainly for N !) - originally for use with 30mm scale Wild West Wargaming figures , many of the buildings would still be viable for country buildings in 50s/60s, and even in some Midwestern towns - look on google street view if you don't believe me - today - change takes place VERY slowly in rural America. Leave a '47 rusty Ford Pickup parked outside the grain elevator for example, and listen to the wind.

At risk of being narcissistic, these threads always make me ponder what kindled my interest in US railroading both generally and the specific roads, locations and periods.
Although I can't remember all the details (how did I discover Lake Monona?)the conclusion I've come to is that pretty much every idea has started with a single photo and led on from there.
For example,I came across a photo of a Guilford loco when researching a loco that would be typically New York. Although it was a red herring (I settled on a NYCHRR Alco S4) I liked the livery, then I found I liked the Guilford GP40-2Ws, then I discovered a pic of one street running in Lawrence MA. That led to one layout idea, then I learnt more about both Guilford, decided I liked their penny pinching ways and about Lawrence and discovered so many possible layout ideas (set at many different periods) from just one city.
Anyway, I would suggest just doing some google image searches, start broad and take note of what grabs your eye, loco colour schemes and types, industries, landscapes, stock types, periods, possible LDEs and then google them further.

BTW, as well as shortlines, try looking at terminal lines and belt railroads

I've downloaded Jack's plan and flipped it to it my site.Also downloaded the Peco templates for the track I didn't have. Got to put some cork down,then I'll lay it out for a look. Penty of complex switching potential there.  Now got my first loco (Bachmann GP 9), with a Bachmann 44 tonner following soon. Both are DCC and I have a Loksound decoder coming in for the Geep. The 44 tonner will have to wait 'til next month for it's chip. Now to start looking for rolling stock.

If you don't yet have any US/Canadian stock, you might give some serious consideration to N instead of HO. You can fit a lot more into any given space. The typical GP/RS/SW/S types available in N today have outstanding low speed performance for switching. Pretty much all DCC ready or with factory DCC, and models such as the Atlas S-2 come with factory sound as an option.

ON the subject of an RDC or private cars, some modern short lines also have their own tourist/excursion/dinner train operations. This could be done with a handful of generic heavyweight or stainless steel cars. They might have some F units or even a steam loco for the purpose (e.g. the 1928 Baldwin owned by the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern).

Depending on the era you could also run mixed trains. For example the Georgia Railroad until 1983 and the Keewatin Railway today.

Cheers

David

N gauge, for me, is no go. Too small. It runs a lot better now than it used to, but I have enough bother maintaining some of the local clubs loco's. Admittedly the gentlemen concerned aren't in the first lush of youth, but I'm not far behind them. If I had the funds, and space, I'd go to O gauge.  

Granted you don't need space,but funds you do. Admittedly you wouldn't need a lot of equipment for a micro and they sure have heft. I did a 16 mm scale layout in 4 x 2 feet,all battery loco's. All scratch built, therefore cheap as chips,but O scale American is another ball game. I would love to go O but I think the domestic Authorities would have something to say, like, "when are you moving out"?

Catweasle - I look forward to seeing how you get on with it - I only got to the point of "stand-in" scenery but it was a lot of fun to operate - if you want to extend, take the track at my left/your right end across a street crossing to another industry and the track closest to Foxy Lady can be an off-spot stub, or perhaps originally crossed a bridge to further industries, but that has been damaged by flooding.

Granted you don't need space,but funds you do. Admittedly you wouldn't need a lot of equipment for a micro and they sure have heft. I did a 16 mm scale layout in 4 x 2 feet,all battery loco's. All scratch built, therefore cheap as chips,but O scale American is another ball game. I would love to go O but I think the domestic Authorities would have something to say, like, "when are you moving out"?

Yes US O is more expensive than HO, but proportionately not as expensive as UK O is compared to OO, especially with canny shopping and seeking out mainly second hand/used stuff. What US O does lack, unfortunately, is the sheer variety of locos & stock (especially modern era) that is available in HO & N. Not only is US O dominated by 3-rail, which seriously hampers development of proper scale stuff, it is also predominently fixated with the 'Transition Era' of the 1940's & 1950's. :(

Whatever you do, have fun with it, since Short Lines are often freelance operations and somewhere, at some time, there is or was a Prototype for Everything. ;)

Certainly does Jack. At the far end I'm putting in a sector plate. I now have my first loco, a Bachmann GP9, with a 44 tonner following soon. The Geep is to be fitted with a Loksound chip soon to replace the Bachmann chip. I've got to clear some space and get the cork down then I can start laying out the track templates. Got some ideas for buildings,found a company called Clever Models who have download kits. Plenty of card and blades available.

Dear Catweasel,

Granted you don't need space,but funds you do

I respectfully disagree. Only a week or so ago, a couple of threads right on this here list highlighted some US O2R GPs which were going for not-much-more (and in some cases _LESS_!) than an "all singing, all dancing" BLI HO loco, and/or some of the recent Ixion 7mm locos,

and those threads covered _new_ Atlas O2R offerings with some of the best RTR detailing (freestanding details _everywhere_) going round...

Put the UK 7mm SG "O scale" $x000 pricing mentality aside,
a US 1/4" O2R loco can be had for low $x00 if one is diligent...

and yes, an O scale micro in the space being considered is more-than do-able, requiring only a handful of equipment

http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-97a-may-2010/#chicago 

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Certainly does Jack. At the far end I'm putting in a sector plate. I now have my first loco, a Bachmann GP9, with a 44 tonner following soon. The Geep is to be fitted with a Loksound chip soon to replace the Bachmann chip. I've got to clear some space and get the cork down then I can start laying out the track templates. Got some ideas for buildings,found a company called Clever Models who have download kits. Plenty of card and blades available.

Yes - I'd forgotten about Clever Models site. One thing that may be worth considering, is to build a carcass from balsa or styrene, possibly with internal cross-bracing, and clad it with the print. the result will be a much more robust and durable building

Dear Catweasel,

I respectfully disagree. Only a week or so ago, a couple of threads right on this here list highlighted some US O2R GPs which were going for not-much-more (and in some cases _LESS_!) than an "all singing, all dancing" BLI HO loco,

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Unfortunately that wouldn't be difficult - BLI/ Factory Direct Trains locos are certainly not amongst the cheapest - I'm currently trying VERY hard to persuade myself that I don't WANT/NEED one of their Plymouth diesels (must resist!) which would be perfect for current requirements - I don't want to be in SWMBOs dog-house

Yes - I'd forgotten about Clever Models site. One thing that may be worth considering, is to build a carcass from balsa or styrene, possibly with internal cross-bracing, and clad it with the print. the result will be a much more robust and durable building

That's the way I'm going. Build it like Scalescenes and a tornado won't take it down. I'm also toying with running off some duplicates and cladding a modified shoebox.

Been playing with, sorry, testing, the GP9. I got a Loksound V4 form CoastalDCC via their express pigeon service. Didn't take long to fit either. Had a problem with lack of power to test track though. Turned out the NCE terminal had gone down. Put in a spare, sorted. V4 has plenty of power and the quality of the sound surprised me. Nice one from both Coastal and Loksound.

How about something more off-beat such as a US mining or logging layout ? You'll find plenty of inspiration on the Carl Arendt site ( having started out making a rather cliched short-line switching puzzle layout, I'm currently building the classic 'Gumstump and Snowshoe' (6' x 1') as a west coast  logging line based in large part on what I found there). Alternatively, if you want a good short-line design, check out Iain Rice's Quincy RR design from MR a few years back.

post-20683-0-72787900-1444905938_thumb.jpg

post-20683-0-94656500-1444905965_thumb.jpg

I put together a coherent, well written, and insightful entry for this thread... and my computer locked up and the trons went somewhere into the ether.

So, you're stuck with this -

You've received some good suggestions but I think you need to be a little more specific about what you're trying to model, and when you're modeling before you get too hung up on flinging turnouts and track down on a board.

To answer you're original question from what I know of the "Ingelnook" it's basically several spurs from a single lead with some specific proportions. Make one of those tracks look like it's the mainline "through" track and you've basically described one end of virtually every small town with rail service in North America. Put two of them end to end as it were, and you've duplicated most small towns.

Main - Passing track, also called a runaround track - and a double-ended siding (often called the House track since that's where the freight house is, or was) with industries along it is a really, really common footprint and would be worth duplicating.

I see a lot of small layouts with a bunch of spurs, short runarounds, and switchbacks. While they may be interesting to LOOK at they simply don't look, well, legit, (at least to me) no matter what name is slathered on the locomotives.

Marty

The cork is now well and truly stuck down now, so I can make a start on laying things out. I'll have to get my head round diamond crossings (electrofrog), but if I treat them as non moving points I think I'll be OK. maybe auto reversers wil be needed.

I see a lot of small layouts with a bunch of spurs, short runarounds, and switchbacks. While they may be interesting to LOOK at they simply don't look, well, legit, (at least to me) no matter what name is slathered on the locomotives.

Marty

I think you see quite a bit of that simply for the visual and operational interest. I'd love a run round that could handle 20 cars, but since I can't have that I'd rather be able to run round 3 cars than not have it at all. (though right now all I have it's an inglenook...).

Not so sure about switchbacks though, I can justify compressing a run round, but that's further than I'd choose to go myself.

Archived