Train Tech Sound Modules

I have just completed my first end to end model railway. It is OO gauge, DC. I am very pleased with all the scenics and have great fun shunting whilst running the trains. The one thing it seems to lack is sound.

I have downloaded an mp3 of countryside sounds and church bells and it seems to bring the whole layout alive! Now I am thinking of buying a couple of the Train Tech sound modules, one steam and one diesel.

I wonder if anyone has these and can give any feedback on how they perform? We have a very limited budget so could not afford to go DCC with sound, whereas using these modules would cost us £80.

Would really like to know how these perform http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/sound

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I haven't used them myself but have seen them demonstrated at a couple of model railway shows. My impression was that they are good for the money but you do end up driving the loco to the sound rather than your actions dictating the sound effects you get. That said this was on a round round demo layout and on your end to end one they may perform more realistically. I think model rail did a review of them and were quite complimentary. Alternatively you could keep an eye out for Hornby tts chips which I know some people are selling separate from their donor loco. I have a tts gadwall and I am more than pleased with it for the price.

Chris

Hi, I haven't used them myself but have seen them demonstrated at a couple of model railway shows. My impression was that they are good for the money but you do end up driving the loco to the sound rather than your actions dictating the sound effects you get. That said this was on a round round demo layout and on your end to end one they may perform more realistically. I think model rail did a review of them and were quite complimentary. Alternatively you could keep an eye out for Hornby tts chips which I know some people are selling separate from their donor loco. I have a tts gadwall and I am more than pleased with it for the price.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and your advice. I will see if I can get a copy of the Model Rail magazine article. Also what are TTS chips? I have never heard of them, what do they cost, where do you get them, and how do they work? LOL! Lots of questions, sorry to be thick!

Regards

TTS Sound is Hornby's low cost version of the more expensive sound decoders which are pretty good. They are pretty cheap too (Hattons has the Duke of Gloucester with it at £94) but the problem is you can't buy them on their own you have to buy them with a locomotive unless you get one from eBay or somewhere where they're being sold separately. They are however, in essence, DCC chips so would require DCC control to get the full range of functions (I notice your layout is DC),

Kind regards,

Gary

TTS Sound is Hornby's low cost version of the more expensive sound decoders which are pretty good. They are pretty cheap too (Hattons has the Duke of Gloucester with it at £94) but the problem is you can't buy them on their own you have to buy them with a locomotive unless you get one from eBay or somewhere where they're being sold separately. They are however, in essence, DCC chips so would require DCC control to get the full range of functions (I notice your layout is DC),

Kind regards,

Gary

Hi,

Yes we are only DC, can't afford DCC at this time. Thanks anyway but it sound like the modules are our only option if we want sound.

Thanks for the heads up on the Model Rail article, don't suppose you know which issue the article was in do you?

Regards

Hi, not sure which issue but if you contact dibber on the model rail thread he may be able to help you.

Thank you, I contacted Model Rail directly and they have informed be it was the July 2014 issue, which is number 197. I am now trying to source a copy from somewhere.

Many thanks again.

No worries, if someone can confirm what the rules are about reproducing magazine articles on rmweb then one of us may be able to find the back issue and scan the text for you.

Hi,

Thanks, yes that would be great if possible? I really only want a copy of that article.

Perhaps someone could confirm if this is possible.

Martin

Take a look at Mylocosound modules as well. They are designed for use with DC and have diesel and steam versions.

Thanks for that, I will take a look at those too. 

Has anyone looked into the rules of me being sent a copy of the magazine article? I would love to read this page but cannot find a back issue anywhere!

Thanks in anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

I notice it's a while since you last posted, but I do have a Steam sound module the SFX10+

The "+" bit is the newer version, which allows you to remove a wire link on the module to increase the volume, at the cost of battery life however!

You can connect up to AA batteries, just has to be 3volts and no more.

You can also connect a different 8ohm speaker.

For 40pounds they aren't that bad, but now sound decoders are coming down in price these might be better at 25-30pounds.(sorry Train Tech, but that's what I feel as Hornby TTS is much better and in theory cheaper)

They are never going to be as good as a TTS and as for Zimo or Loksound those decoders are in a different league all together!

So don't expect that type of functionality or sophistication from them.

I do have a Bachmann diesel sound fitted loco and a Zimo sound loco and I'm not even going to compare them, as that's just impossible and pointless and major chalk and cheese!

The modules basically detect movement and once detected will automatically play the sounds, they can't detect speed or slowing so forget synchronisation.

While stationary for about 1minute they switch themselves off, once movement starts they automatically sound a whistle and the chuffs start and steadily get quicker........even if the loco isn't actually speeding up!

Once running for a while the chuffs will stop to represent coasting and then come back on again, a little while longer then you get a whistle blow.

When you come to a stop there is a slight lag so you could be at a standstill but the chuffs are still racing away.

Once stopped you will hear the hiss and the fireman loading coal.

I've just placed one in a wagon and let it trundle round and yes you do end up driving the loco to the sound, but that actually adds to the enjoyment.

For those with DC, on a budget, don't want to break into a loco a or just want a little bit of a dabble to see what it's like then for 40pounds it's not really that bad, but as above I think the price will need to come down, as it will soon get to the stage for not that much more you could have an all singing and dancing sound decoder.

It's actually a good way to get a bit of sound for children who might not carry on with the hobby so you've not lost loads on buying full delmonte sound locos, although it could lead you on to buy those ones though.

I did look at trying to buy the TTS sound decoders but on EBay people are asking anything over 60pounds for them, funny how to buy a loco without TTS and with TTS is only about 15-25 pounds, so I refuse to pay those greedy people's prices for second hand TTS decoders on principle.

These modules just made me laugh and they do add that little bit of sound and I don't need to bother with operating functions and the like.

If you have a big layout, these could be thrown into some wagons and left running round the loop while you control/do other things.

Watch the video on the Train Tech web site to see what you think, it's a very personal thing, some will be OK with what they do and what they are, some wont touch them with a barge pole, horses for courses as they say.

Cheers

Ian

Archived