Thorncombe Modelex 2015 - Saturday November 7th

devonseasider

Just over a week to go and I think we've finally got everything sorted out.

Several residents of this parish will be putting themselves in the shop window.  Please come & support them (and us!) if you're in striking distance.  It's a show with a very "different" feel to the norm - well worth fighting your way down the lanes to find us, but be careful the satnav doesn't send you into a farmyard!

Directions available for anyone who hasn't been before.

Saturday November 7th 2015

10:00 - 16:30

The Village Hall (& adjacent Primary School),

Thorncombe

Dorset

TA20 4NE

Admission  £3

children & TRAC members free

All surplus income will go to Railway Preservation Charities.

There will be about 15 working layouts covering a wide range of scales, gauges, prototype locations and time periods.  These will be supported by a number of trade stands offering new & used locos, rolling stock, track & accessories, also books and railwayana.

This year we will have an area set aside for practical demonstrations & advice for both beginners and the more experienced.  This will feature Bob Phelps & colleagues from Peco and members of the Buffers Bogies model railway group.

Bob is a very accomplished & experienced modeller.  Prior to retirement he led the product design team at Peco and can still be found working part-time at Beer. 

The Buffers Bogies group will be using their "Colston Cross" layout to show what can be achieved by a group of complete novices and will be pleased to explain how they have achieved it.  They meet on Wednesday afternoons at Buffers Model Railways just out of Axminster on the Chard road.

Layouts will include:
A Glimpse of the Algarve    1990s          Southern Portugal         3.5mm (H0)       John Cannons
Bagborough West              1870 - 92     GWR Broad Gauge        3mm / 21mm     Nick Salzman
Evenstow                           1920s / 30s  GWR North Devon         4mm (P4)          Paul Iliff           

Hounslow Sidings              1950s / 60s  SW London                   00                     Ray Norwood
Lindon Road                      1950s / 60s  Medway / Kent              4mm (00)          John Long
Maenorwic Quarry & the Headshunt        North Wales                  4mm (00)          Chris Phillimore & sons

Marshwood Road               1960s          BR(S) West Dorset        4mm (00)          David Harrington et al
Nostalgia                           Hornby Dublo 3-rail                          00                     HRCA Yeovil & district
Nouvion                             Rural France                                     7mm (0)            Paul Stanford
Poldeen                             present day  Cornwall                        2mm (N)            David Greenwood

Polpendra                          1960s          West Country                2mm (N)            Simon Addlesee

Southall Lane MPD             1950s/60s    Western Region             00                     David Nelhams
The Abbey End                  1976 - 2012  Kirkstall Abbey              7mm / 14mm     David Malton

Trevellyn Bridge                 1960s          West Country                00                     Chas May

Also, there's an "exhibition within an exhibition" from SWOONS  -  the South-West area group of the 009 Society.  They'll have a selection of working layouts, static displays and range of resource material.

The layouts will include  "Dragon's Lair", courtesy of Stan Agar, and "Whimsey" and "Pig Dyke Farm", both from Geoff Broadhurst with the latter showcasing Rod Allcock's tiny scratch-built diesel & petrol locos.

Trade support provided by:
Alan Corwood                    A selection of railway relics, railwayana etc.
Rod Saunders                    Lots of good, used model railway items & accessories.
Bob Jones                          Books & models at prices you can't afford to refuse!
Ray Heard                          A small selection from Ray's huge stock of proprietary & kit-built models.

Raffle, refreshments, snacks etc.

Free parking

Disabled-friendly

post-11812-0-89947700-1446145378_thumb.jpg

Really looking forward to this show. I'll be there with my layout "Southall Lane MPD", so lots of track/wheel cleaning etc this week!

I've managed to attend this show for the last few years, and always been impressed with the layouts, and this year glad to be helping Graham as an exhibitor. Fingers crossed for a dry day.

Best to all

exmoordave

Look forward to seeing you again, Dave.  Seems like ages  .  .  .  .

And yes, let's hope it isn't as wet first thing as it was last year!  We've only just managed to dry out our car park guy!

A couple of late additions to the list above:

1.  Gravel Pit  -  a small layout from TRAC member John Edge                 and

2.  an extra demonstration/display stand courtesy Mike Johnson of Jurassic Models

Yet again Devon Seasider has put together an excellent and varied selection of layouts!  There looks to be a couple of very interesting 'foreign' layouts on show as well. I attended the show in 2013 and was very impressed with the quality of what was on offer. If anyone's wondering if it's worthwhile attending a 'little' show, then I can definitely tell them it is!

• RMweb Premium

Yet again Devon Seasider has put together an excellent and varied selection of layouts!  There looks to be a couple of very interesting 'foreign' layouts on show as well. I attended the show in 2013 and was very impressed with the quality of what was on offer. If anyone's wondering if it's worthwhile attending a 'little' show, then I can definitely tell them it is!

I quite agree, Thorncombe is always well worth a visit, a friendly and varied show, with the added advantage of a wonderful selection of homemade cakes in the canteen.

Still not absolutely sure I'm going to get there, but I'll do my best.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Graham

Cannot make it Saturday working have a great day always a great show hope the rain keeps away not like last year.

Have you moved that satellite so it's over Thorncombe.

Steve

We've got some long scaffold poles & a piece of polythene sheeting.

We're going to try to put a makeshift gazebo over the village on Friday night.

I'm coming, I'm coming!

Calm down dear.  Too much excitement won't do you any good at your age.

We'll be heading out into deepest, darkest Dorset a little bit later this afternoon to get the place(s) cleared & ready.  First arrivals expected about 4:30.

All prepared for tomorrow.  First clutch of layouts & trade stands in place.  Bacon, eggs & cakes waiting to go  .  .  .  .

Weather not too promising overnight but forecast suggests it should clear (mostly!) before we open.

Fingers crossed.

Come & say hello if you can find us  -  a couple of the layouts will be looking for relief operators.

All packed up and ready to go. The layout was all working smoothly and reliably at 8.00pm this evening!

Ready for an early start from Plymouth looking for Thorncombe - various google maps are printed and my kendal mint cake and compass are standing by!

Looking forward to the exhibition.

Very enjoyable day. I spent most of it chatting to folk around Colston Cross but very impressed with the quality and variety of the other layouts. Thanks to all at TRAC for organising it. We learned a lot today and hopefully this will be reflected in the changes and improvements we make to Colston Cross.

Thanks to everyone who organised the exhibition, I thoroughly enjoyed my day despite going home a little hoarse from talking all day!

Some really impressive layouts - A Glimpse of the Algarve was a worthy winner of Best in Show and I was particularly impressed with the 3mm scale Broadgauge Layout too.

Archived