'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi.....

Thought I'd share these images with you.......took a wall through the woods opposite home, then a route along the Staffs & Worcs to join up with the South Staffs Railway walk back home.....just lovely in the autumn sunshine today, the autumn colours really coming out and so peaceful....

IMG_0125.JPG.ad8aa9519ae49f8ccf29f8169f54386c.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG.330499e955c5bcf3258944eb32e16f77.JPG

Take care guys, regards always....

Bob

• Like 7

Why not weather the pavements as heavily as the station? Is this part of the town younger than the railway?

Not criticising your decision, just curious. I’d always seen your station as being of the same age as the buildings beyond the railway fence, as I’d assumed it was a terminus to a town that was expanding at the same time as the railway was built.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Why not weather the pavements as heavily as the station? Is this part of the town younger than the railway?

Not criticising your decision, just curious. I’d always seen your station as being of the same age as the buildings beyond the railway fence, as I’d assumed it was a terminus to a town that was expanding at the same time as the railway was built.

Hi.....

Cheers for the observation, please keep the comments coming I appreciate everything everyone suggests......I am intending to use the weathering powders but perhaps not as heavily as the station paving, as with everything it all depends upon what happens  'on the day'...! 

Yes the town in my mind too would have developed as the station developed,  but now in decline as occurred in many areas in the years prior to the decision to close.

Regards always,

Bob

Evening Guys...Hope all are well and the weekend has 'kicked off' okay with everyone, even though it's been a 'tad damp'!

Trying an experiment here and as always would appreciate comments......have adapted a low relief piece,  bringing the backscene forwards slightly with a balsa wood extension to have a 'derelict building' at the end of the cul de sac....painting up an indication of the remainder of the terrace on the side...will need to carry this effect further along the station wall though?

Comments please....although I have 'reservations'.....I may revert to original plans?

IMG_0133.JPG.bc85fd23bc9bbcccee7e818d470ef8c8.JPG IMG_0132.JPG.89d2feb43203f66fe9d3da9cd0ea7636.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

1 hour ago, BobM said:

Evening Guys...Hope all are well and the weekend has 'kicked off' okay with everyone, even though it's been a 'tad damp'!

Trying an experiment here and as always would appreciate comments......have adapted a low relief piece,  bringing the backscene forwards slightly with a balsa wood extension to have a 'derelict building' at the end of the cul de sac....painting up an indication of the remainder of the terrace on the side...will need to carry this effect further along the station wall though?

Comments please....although I have 'reservations'.....I may revert to original plans?

IMG_0133.JPG.bc85fd23bc9bbcccee7e818d470ef8c8.JPG IMG_0132.JPG.89d2feb43203f66fe9d3da9cd0ea7636.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Hi 

Just to expand on the above......

If continued through.....the intention would be to extend the forward edge of the derelict cottage backscene , painting up the cottage silhouettes with constructed trees in front for added perspective...?

May follow this idea through to conclusion just for my own piece of mind and see how it looks when done....even if it doesn't remain as a permanent feature....?

a.jpg.7b9b4075aad104016ccc5d1dc0a7952b.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi...

Also understand that balsa wood and paint don't make easy bed fellows, but have used paint on balsa that has been pretreated with a thin layer of dried PVA which seals the porous surface, any other suggestions appreciated.

Regards always

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Sanding sealer Bob. Sand'n'seal is one product I know of.  Al's Hobbies sanding sealer is another. It's around £20 for 500ml. I believe Humbrol do something similar as well.

Regards Lez.  

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Guys.....All well I hope...?

I am sure that we have all encountered those periods when you think you've taken the correct path and convinced yourself that this is so.....for me this was the case with the derelict cottage set up shown previously where I intended to paint up the sides on an extended backscene.

For a time I thought this was the way forward, however you know when you have those niggling messages going through your head that something wasn't looking quite correct with it.....these amplified to the point where it was (sad bloke that I am) waking me up in the middle of the night and going into look at it to settle my head......!

So have changed tack and  re-orientated the cottages and attached it to the corner shop I had in reserve.....so I believe this will be a better and more aesthetically pleasing on the eye, certainly on mine any rate!

So there'll be further work on the pavements too.

IMG_0147.JPG.3034be4e5ea46285ee2141b55a7a7d99.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Looks better already Bob. I did think you were going off down a blind alley with the derelict buildings, they seemed a bit out of place there. However it's not my place to say that you were going wrong. After all it is your layout not mine and everyone's taste is different. You have to come to conclusions like that yourself. As I say it looks much better the way you have it now. I'm sure you will find a spot elsewhere for the derelict buildings more in keeping with other buildings around them. Behind the engine shed or near to a bridge maybe? Somewhere more backstreet perhaps?

Regards Lez.    

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Looks better already Bob. I did think you were going off down a blind alley with the derelict buildings, they seemed a bit out of place there. However it's not my place to say that you were going wrong. After all it is your layout not mine and everyone's taste is different. You have to come to conclusions like that yourself. As I say it looks much better the way you have it now. I'm sure you will find a spot elsewhere for the derelict buildings more in keeping with other buildings around them. Behind the engine shed or near to a bridge maybe? Somewhere more backstreet perhaps?

Regards Lez.    

Hi Lez....

Hope you're okay.....?

Thanks for the kind words and guidance, yep happier with the set up here so will develop it further....

Cheers again....

Regards always

Bob

Hi Guys....

This may look a bit rough, but have a 'butchered' piece of old cottage that I could attach to the end of the terrace...?

IMG_0152.JPG.44ef0878b34a61535abbab3b06985079.JPG

Comments....?

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 2

Hello guys......

Hope all's well....?

Have made some adaptations to the 'rough end of the street'......

......and have taken the plunge and attached the 'butchered' spare upstairs piece of cottage and attached it to to the corner shop, I thought that this would look more in keeping to when so, rather than indicated above on the end of the terrace house, a bit 'Open all Hours' but I think it looks okay....?

The lower shaded area which at the moment is a piece of balsa wood I am intending to 'render' paint an off white and place a black chalkboard on it for 'Arkwrights' Special Offers!

Any good....also slightly rearranged the main town side too...

IMG_0153a.jpg.7870f1a476dd18e2fb3010fd0bb4f700.jpg

IMG_0154.JPG.d57657d1487fd8496d2a335fd90ca1e1.JPG IMG_0156.JPG.c64710a3d4494872b9e5a04fbd249283.JPG IMG_0155.JPG.f4a24168f395077e8a7e942c9594de2f.JPG

Comments as always appreciated.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I think it's looking good Bob.

On a different track mate I made my first purchase for "Tewkesbury shed" today when I scored a Craftsman MR Johnson 1P 0-4-4T round top firebox kit for a good price on ebay. It has Romford wheels and I have EM gauge axles, Mashima motor and a suitable GB in stock already. I'm hoping to grab a belpare boiler version at the weekend to go with it. So I'm starting to progress towards a start on the layout now that the pond is almost finished, just the air pump and power switch box to go and it's done. As soon as I get the track plan sorted I'll start a thread for it.

Regards Lez.   

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

I think it's looking good Bob.

On a different track mate I made my first purchase for "Tewkesbury shed" today when I scored a Craftsman MR Johnson 1P 0-4-4T round top firebox kit for a good price on ebay. It has Romford wheels and I have EM gauge axles, Mashima motor and a suitable GB in stock already. I'm hoping to grab a belpare boiler version at the weekend to go with it. So I'm starting to progress towards a start on the layout now that the pond is almost finished, just the air pump and power switch box to go and it's done. As soon as I get the track plan sorted I'll start a thread for it.

Regards Lez.   

Hi Lez.....

Will watch out for your new thread, exciting....!

Cheers, take care

Regards always

Bob

Hi...

Thought I' post this as I found it interesting....thinking of having a go to form the trees for the town area in this manner....

Regards always

Bob

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Trees can be a bit tricky at first Bob. Take your time and don't rush it. It's a knack that you need to learn but it's not hard to learn if you see what I mean. You just need to study the real thing, a good book is invaluable as are pics of the species you want to model, both with and without foliage. Given your occupation you shouldn't any problem with them at all. Just remember that trees are really big so don't go with something that will dominate everything around it, leave big specimens for the background. Look at pics from the time you are modeling too as the types of urban trees have changed since then.  

Regards Lez.   

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Trees can be a bit tricky at first Bob. Take your time and don't rush it. It's a knack that you need to learn but it's not hard to learn if you see what I mean. You just need to study the real thing, a good book is invaluable as are pics of the species you want to model, both with and without foliage. Given your occupation you shouldn't any problem with them at all. Just remember that trees are really big so don't go with something that will dominate everything around it, leave big specimens for the background. Look at pics from the time you are modeling too as the types of urban trees have changed since then.  

Regards Lez.   

Hi....Cheers Lez.....

Yes I don't want anything that looks out of scale or too big....will have a go and post images as I go along, we have plenty of floral wire at the nursery which I can have a play with to begin, even if it's only the trunk and branch structure?

Regards always

Bob

Morning Guys.....

Hope all are well...?

The town scene is not set in stone, I am sure it'll still evolve further....less is more is always a good mantra.

Have great Friday.

Regards always....

Bob

Evening all.....

The latest plan I feel most comfortable with for the  town layout.....(please disregard the 'derelict' cottage in the run, this is only there for  spacing purposes there is a proper terrace available).......

Have split the entrance roads, the main street marked by the red arrow and now a narrower side street,,,,both will go 'off scene' with painted perspective street effect....the war memorial will have a base floral bed....

as always comments appreciate....

IMG_0161a.jpg.72c29420d746e7cc3d0e80e0c79eb477.jpg

Regards always,,,,stay safe....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi....

Please don't laugh too loudly....

For my first attempt to form a tree I took a bundle of  garden wire, tied this tightly at the base and tried to fashion a basic tree form structure and made a simple root system at the base.....?

Worked out at a scale height of 35ft..!

Don't worry won't be using this on Cambrian Street but it is practice and an example of how I don't mind airing my (disasters or) attempts in public...?

IMG_0162.JPG.877e12998d60f35b308f75bfc41349f7.JPG IMG_0169.JPG.628bfa9065e95f9a00aba73fdf2ceb6c.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Well done for having a go Bob!! I'm still trying to work up the confidence to try making my first tree. One day I'll manage it!

Gary

Hi....

thanks for the kind comment.....wondering whether I need try working with a thinner gauge wire, which we do have at the nursery but possibly require more of it to form up the tree...?

Will have further attempts and post these too....

Stay safe guys....

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1