Train shed roofs - overall roofs

RJD

I am building a train shed/overall roof in OO gauge for my 1955-62 Western Region layout. I am not sure what the exterior of the roofs looked like, other than filthy. The one I am building has a ridge and will be very grubby. I haven't found any helpful close-up prototype photographs.

Looking at various examples, many had a non-glass sections. What were the non-glass sections made of and covered with? I suppose the glass was laid into L or T glazing bars. How far apart would the supports be?

Thanks for any help,

Richard Davies

Utah, USA

Non-glazed parts would often have been wooden planking or boarding, usually laid longitudinally. The part on the outside of the roof would probably have a pitch and felt covering to protect it from rain seeping in damaging the wood. Modern roofs (e.g. Leeds City) or restorations of old roofs (Bournemouth Central? Or is that pretty much all-glass?) often use aluminium cladding instead.

David

Any particular prototype location? - other than terminus I'm trying to think of one in 1950-60's WR ... though I guess there must have been one. For roofing in general both the SR and WR had a bit of a love affair with asbestos sheeting - both plain and corrugated using it as replacement of the more expensive slate and tiles.

You could try Birmingham Moor Street via Google Earth.

And yes, that is a 47xx(?) 2-8-0 half under the canopy.

Pedant mode on, it is a 38XX 2-8-0, only cosmetically restored unfortunately. Pedant mode off.

LSW Canopies were normally topped with rolled zinc over wooden boards. Apart from canopies, the LSW also had a number of overall roofs at different places. Lymington, Yeovil Town, Exeter Queen Street (Central), Callington, and Devonport. Unless you have photo evidence to the contrary, most if not all of these would have used the standard method of construction.

Hth

PB

Sorry to be petty Peter, but Callington was rather different (and not LSWR either), being wholly wooden in construction with (I think), a corrugated iron roof.

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/photos/callington_station.jpg

http://www.brucehunt.co.uk/Holman%20Fred%20Stephens%20and%20the%20Callington%20Branch.html

(third picture down) and:

http://www.brucehunt.co.uk/PDSWJR.html

Adam

And beginning to look the worse for wear

Thankfully its not long until Birmingham Moor Street is re connected. So I'd imagine she will be moved out.

Moving back to topic. Alot of roofs may also of had Asbestos sheeting as well as lead sheeting.

I am slowly progressing towards building one of my own overall roofs and I am hoping to use brass rodding to create and super structure.

Thanks for your help. I am not following a specific prototype train shed, but the layout is based on West Midlands big city industrial.

Richard Davies

Utah, USA

West Midlands? One of the old High Level station trainshed at Wolverhampton on this site which may be useful;

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/articles/railways/firstpage.htm

It was a fairly standard LNWR pitched main line station roof as still in situ at Huddersfield or which featured at the pre-electrification Bletchley station amongst other places on LNW network.

Speaking of Huddersfield, here's an aerial shot of the roof in diesel-era condition (minus the smoke-vent clerestory section) which may also be handy;

Huddersfield Station

David

• RMweb Premium

From some research thatI've been doing the covering would vary with the period and style. St pancras certainly had areas that were slated among the glass. It appears that quite a few were covered in roofing felt, probably for blackout purposes, during WW2. This would also ahve reduced inhuries in the event of blast damage from nearby bombs. Some of these were let felted and some appear to have been restored. The glass could either be clear or frosted and was as you surmise often dirty.

The widt's would be dictated by available glass making technology but from some drawings that I have just acquired of lancaster Green Ayre they were about 20-24" wide and held in as you suggest with T bars. The ridges were often leaded.

Hope this is of some use.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

From some research thatI've been doing the covering would vary with the period and style. St Pancras certainly had areas that were slated among the glass. It appears that quite a few were covered in roofing felt, probably for blackout purposes, during WW2. This would also ahve reduced inhuries in the event of blast damage from nearby bombs. Some of these were let felted and some appear to have been restored. The glass could either be clear or frosted and was as you surmise often dirty.

The width's would be dictated by available glass making technology but from some drawings that I have just acquired of lancaster Green Ayre they were about 20-24" wide and held in as you suggest with T bars. The ridges were often leaded.

Hope this is of some use.

Jamie

I have just remeasured the drawing and the glass was 12" wide. This was erected in 1889. By 1900 glass 3' wide could be produced. I believe that the technology changed in the mid 1890's.

Jamie

Archived