Harbledown Railroad Heritage Line (Wisconsin Central)

Chris116

• RMweb Premium

I have spent the last eight hours trying to think of a way around the problem on the four locos that have X2F couplings. 

Finally I looked at the conversion chat on the Kadee website that I printed some time ago. It tells me to use a #28 for three and a #27 for one of the problem children! As a #28 is a plastic version of a #5 and I have plenty of #5's so I will use the metal couplings I have. Since they are going to be totally enclosed by plastic I don't think there will be a problem with shorting out the power supply. I use DC and will never double head trains.

About 15 minutes sorting through the draft boxes I have and 5 minutes work produced the first successful conversion, as shown below.

IMG20220216164345.jpg.2942954b4af9ed2a27be3f4d48087d6b.jpg

I did the Union Pacific loco first as it already had a broken fitting for the coupling at one end. My idea worked on that end so I just broke the fitting at the other end in the same way. Three more locos to do and if it all goes to plan I will be very happy.

Thank you for the suggestions even if I have not used them on this occasion. Although I did not use them, they did make me think about what I wanted to achieve.

Edited by Chris116
Forgot to add photo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bother, damn and drat! Just put the UP loco on the track with the height gauge and the couplings are too low with the tail nearly rubbing on the ties! Looking at the charts, it appears that I will need to get four pairs of #27 Medium Underset Shank or #21 Long Underset Shank. The reason why I am thinking that the long may be a good idea is that the #5 appear rather close to the end of the bodywork.

IMG20220216165941.jpg.a17d330dbf397dc78507f54eec0151f3.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the front of the loco it appears that there may be room for a draft box on top of the the plastic that currently has the coupling under it. Having measured how low the coupling is at present an Underset shaft will probably not lift the coupling high enough. 

IMG20220216170604.jpg.732d533158e47e5743b3d951ab901203.jpg

I would cut the coupler mounting off the truck completely, and fit the Kadee to the body, where it belongs. Might need some plasticard to get the height correct, but it'll be easier than mucking about with the truck mounting, and more reliable in operation.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I would cut the coupler mounting off the truck completely, and fit the Kadee to the body, where it belongs. Might need some plasticard to get the height correct, but it'll be easier than mucking about with the truck mounting, and more reliable in operation.

Well I have found that if I put the draft box for the coupling on top of the coupler mounting then the bogie is jammed in place and won't move! So the only solution is to do what you have suggested. Now I have to work out how to get the bogies on the UP loco out to allow me to cut the coupler mountings. Yesterday I failed to find the correct method but I am sure if I think about it or someone gives me a hint the job will prove to be a lot easier than it appeared yesterday! The alternative is to cut them while in place which I fear will prove very difficult.

• RMweb Premium

Well the rest of the evening has been a total loss due to my wife getting problems with an Afghan she is crocheting. Looking on the bright side at least I haven't messed anything up more than it was and tomorrow is another day.

• RMweb Premium

The good news is that I have checked the bogie and I can get the razor saw between the foot steps and the front of the bogie to make the cut without removing the bogie from the model. The clearance on the Chicago and North Western SW600 is very tight so I do that last after I have had practice on the three easier locos. 

The bad news is that the earliest I will have time to do the work is either Saturday or next Tuesday as we have theatre tickets for tonight, Friday and Monday and I am going to Aldershot for Superstox, 2L Hot Rods, Ninja Karts and Bangers. One has to get one's priorities right and Superstox come first for me!

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work finally recommenced with the wiring being completed yesterday so the plan for today was to run a ceremonial first train. The honour was given to the British incarnation of the layout, Elmstone, but the plan then was for the stock and station to be changed to allow a Wisconsin Central loco haul a train into the loop and shunt the yard. Sadly the direction switch of my Gaugemaster Combi controller disintegrated before the first British train could depart.

The first Wisconsin Central service will now have to wait for a new Combi controller being purchased and delivered.

IMG20230821213438.jpg.8e371331493b597061c83611c101b983.jpg

The first British train in the station.

IMG20230821221859.jpg.9138b7d069e0e5f1da3f095be1039fee.jpg

The sadly empty Depot still awaiting the first Wisconsin Central service.

• Friendly/supportive 1