Taigatrommel's chop shop: SW division 1980s

post-6973-0-49453900-1542110766_thumb.jpg

Some touchup required and the window frames suffered some damage during its time lying dormant in my projects box, but I'm feeling happy so far.  I must work out numbers for my cross country coaches and make an order from Railtec!  The other big task is to grit my teeth and put up with the tedium of drawing up undergear for 3d printing.  I enjoy CAD work somewhat less than applying white lines even...

Donor coach is a Hornby mk2E.  The sides are my own design etches.  GM roof vents are Southern Pride.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 6

Low prices tempted me to make another BFK, this time a Mk2D.

post-6973-0-31476800-1542268794_thumb.jpg

As many folks have done with the ex-Airfix Mk2D, it's a cut and shut.  I cut out a bodyside portion from the donor FO to keep a clean roof.  I used the chassis from the FO as cleaning up footsteps from the undergear of the BSO chassis looked challenging.  This means that I had to replace the two air conditioning fans of the FO chassis with the single one from the BSO.  There was another box of some sort that got changed too.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Low prices tempted me to make another BFK, this time a Mk2D.

attachicon.gif20181113_114722.jpg

As many folks have done with the ex-Airfix Mk2D, it's a cut and shut.  I cut out a bodyside portion from the donor FO to keep a clean roof.  I used the chassis from the FO as cleaning up footsteps from the undergear of the BSO chassis looked challenging.  This means that I had to replace the two air conditioning fans of the FO chassis with the single one from the BSO.  There was another box of some sort that got changed too.

Nice, cannot see the joins, but 2D have door bumpers which small bits of plastic card would represent.

Note to self, remember to carve them off 2E and 2F conversions!!!!

More great work mate, well done. I still have a pile of your etches waiting to be used. Did you ever get around to casting up underframe components?

I’m sure I’ve asked you this before but how have you glazed your Mk2C please?

Edited by sub39h

Well, I have made some progress on undergear.  The first piece I tackled is one that can't be copied off a Bachmann mk2a, what I think is the heat exchanger.  Now, these 3d models are full of compromises to fit Shapeways printing guidlines and to be simple to take a mould off.  Don't look too closely...

post-6973-0-06904500-1542397389.jpg

post-6973-0-40137500-1542397432_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what this is, but I realised that the simplest way of tackling it was to make the box then fabricate the surrounding framework from rod/section.

post-6973-0-96962500-1542397400.jpg

post-6973-0-46615100-1542397415_thumb.jpg

Now I have to work out how to get them connected on a sprue for economy when Shapeways print them.  Both could be printed as is, but it'd be £7 a piece!

I'm not sure it's worth tackling the other bits as they're fairly straightforward to build out of styrene.  Like I say, I do find CAD work tedious!

• Like 2