Class 91 engineering models

Vin

• RMweb Premium

There is a big market for commercial models of this sort. Many are presented to clients, some are used for marketing, others are built for the manufacturers own purposes, some are gifts to government organisations etc. Some of them really are masterpieces and the customers are prepared to pay serious money for high quality models. The best models I've seen are almost all builders models of various things. My old office had a large scale model of an alternative proposal for the Virgin Pendolino train, I've no idea who designed it or what it was as helpfully the model had nothing to tell you what it was and nobody in the company I ever asked had a clue but given they had a rail business at that time my best guess it was a freebie they picked up from a losing bid they did work for. That is pure speculation however.

Hi all,

Just a quick update whilst the sun was out, lasting for about an hour! The grey has been applied as has the yellow on the warning panels. Due to there only being me in the workshop this afternoon I couldn't move the loco in order to get a shot of the other end. I've made the new buffers for the no.1 end which I will fit when I spray the black on the underside of the loco.

post-11695-0-34787300-1452276571.jpg

As you can see the interior is masked off, so I don't dirty it after I had to deep clean it. Which was coated in years of grime.

post-11695-0-55966500-1452276586.jpg

The lights will be replaced once the red is on. I've made some new metal panels for the front.

Regards

Vin 

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

The class 91 is nearly finished after a lot of painting and masking. I have used 9 rolls of masking and enough paint to spray a Mini to get this rather large machine to this stage.

post-11695-0-18261400-1458749389.jpg

The pantograph panel is missing because I'm fitting the pantograph and all the insulators and breaker. I have noticed that whilst painting this loco that Virgin East Coast have tweeked the final design of the livery. The main one is the loss of the light grey cab roofs replaced with the dark grey which matches the rest of the roof.

Regards

Vin

Archived