Class 91 engineering models

Vin

Hi all,

Over the past fortnight I've being rebuilding a 1/10th scale model of a class 91. Photos to follow when I can get it out of the spray bay. It isn't small at 6ft long.

My questions are who payed for these models? It does have a GEC logo on the front unlike the prototype which had the Intercity Swallow logo on it.

Where was it originally displayed? As it sits on a mahogany base (8ft long) and originally had a perspex case (which no longer exists).

It also has two plaques on the base, which states. Distance covered per year = 420,000 km (260,000 miles) and Service Interval = 40,000 km (24,000 miles). Are these statements true today?

Regards

Vin

Hi,

It has one solid side and the other side is open with all the equipment inside labelled up. It was in Intercity Swallow livery but the amount of damage it had has warranted a full repaint.

The other question I have. Was there more than one built?

What was the date of the Intercity21 exhibition?

Regards

Vin

I remember that- when I was there it was living in a glass case inside a Portakabin at the far side of the main 'sheds' - there was a model of the 89 as well and iirc that was in Swallow livery rather than its original 'executive' if that helps narrow down the time.

EDIT: I might be wrong but I think this was just about the time that the area manager for IC operated a 'staff and family' charter to York with a 91- York was the Northern terminus for electrickery trains. All trains further North and most of the trains to York were still in the hands of Intercity's finest.

I don't know if that helps pinpoint the date better.

I wonder what happened to the 89 model. There was/ is a bloke somewhere on the internet who made these models- his blogs are a fascinating read.

That sounds very like the model displayed at the InterCity21 exhibition at Bounds Green. I've got a slide of that somewhere.

Hi,

That sounds like the one. After googling Intercity21. The date was 4th May 1987 for the Bounds Green open day.

If it was in a glass case and not a perspex one it would weigh a lot.

There is a builder's plate on the base. It says Betrix industrial models, Stockport.

Regards

Vin

Vin,

I thought it was glass- but you're talking a fair few years back now.

For my own curiosity I will see if I have the photos from that trip to York for the date- I don't know off the top of my head but I suspect a bit later than '87- which probably explains why the model ended up in a Portakabin rather than the depot manager's office. I am pretty sure it was around the same time.

• RMweb Premium

The very first 91 did appear with the GEC logo instead of the swallow on the front. I don't think it was there long, but I can recall the press photos of it...

Andy G

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the replies. It looks like the GEC logo was removed after the shakedown and mileage tests on the WCML in Feb 1988 for the swallow logo.

One thing that makes me think that this was commissioned by GEC is that there is no mention of British Rail, double arrows or the Intercity 225 program.

Regards

Vin

Hi Chris,

That photo is from 1989 when GEC (uk) and Alsthom mergered. They put the logo on the front for a series of special trains. The photo of the model on page 154 would be good to see. I was going to take some photos of the model today but other jobs have put the brakes on that idea. As the paint will have harden thoughly I going to spin the loco upside down (not easy as it weighs 30kg) and take some photos of the underside as it has details that nobody but the builder has seen. You cannot see some of the details when it is on it plinth.

Regards

Vin

The bloke who made all these models has a good write up on the internet somewhere. For some reason I didn't book mark it- but someone on RMW bound to know who he is.

I think he actually worked for BR rather than any prototype builders and certainly wasn't attached to any "model train" builders.

There is a model in the documentary about class 91 filmed by channel 4 search on you tube equinoxes running to time. Also at the very end of the program there is a shot of the completed 91001 with the GEC badge on the front.

Great program worth a watch if you have not seen it or not seen it in a while

Hi,

I'll have look for that. It must be on the C4 youtube channel somewhere. I've emailled the original maker but as they must be still on Holiday until the 5th Jan. Then I can get a fuller picture of what/ whom/ where it has been since it was built.

So upto now it has been at Bounds Green, May 1987. On Blue Peter in 1987. A portacabin in York into the 1990's. Then a garage/ warehouse from the mid 2000's until now.

Thanks everyone for the info. It is much appreciated.

Regards

Vin

Hi all,

Here are the photos of the model. In order to get a sense of scale I've put a VEA model in O gauge in the first picture.

post-11695-0-91555400-1451564979.jpg

post-11695-0-36011300-1451565034.jpg

No.1 end with the roof panels on. As you can see the main panel has been painted in Virgin Red. The body will follow. I had to spray this first in order to see if the colours were correct and to calculate how much paint I would need to spray the whole loco.

post-11695-0-06951800-1451565213.jpg

No.2 end with the extra grille on the left had side. This was added when the class was refurbished.

post-11695-0-59282300-1451565362.jpg

No.2 end, the other side. This has no cut outs for the windows or doors, but did have damage to the panels hence the filler. The model has used a lot of glue and filler to get it to this stage.

post-11695-0-12747800-1451565617.jpg

The bits that nobody can see when it is on the base. I don't think many people will have seen this and the following views.

post-11695-0-06434100-1451565729.jpg

post-11695-0-54956100-1451565757.jpg

post-11695-0-25842800-1451565825.jpg

The pantograph is a work of art on its own. It is constructed from clear acrylic and brass, this also had a lot of damage to it and was in several pieces. Luckily all the pieces were there and with a bit of patience went back together with these results. I haven't repainted it yet, so it is in the original colour (Intercity beige) but it did need a bath in sugar soap to get all the dirt off.

Regards

Vin

• RMweb Gold

Where did you find this Vin, is it yours or a commission? It certainly looks a super model and I'm glad you're restoring it. Personal preference is for the original livery over any subsequent one but I'm looking forward to seeing it finished in Virgin :)

• RMweb Gold

I think it would look loads better in original livery, after all it was supplied to BR and probably paid for by them. It seems a shame to give bloodsucking stagecoach publicity by painting it it theirs and beardys livery

Having said that it is yours and do what you like with it!

Hi all,

It is a commission so it isn't mine. The owner wants it dragging into the twenty first century. If you had seen it when I first got it, what a state it was in. I've had most of the panels off, the bodyside had a one inch bow in it, the roof sections were in bits. The paintwork was scratched and the logos had seen better days. There was a 2inch chuck out of the body on the no.1 nose end. The inside components had various damage as well.

It came from a garage somewhere near Stone. Apart from that I don't alot about, which is why I've been asking all these questions about it.

I've just been watching the equinox episode and it is in quite a lot. Which makes me wonder that they maybe more than one?

Regards

Vin

As a former Inter-City technical training instructor, it was always thought that there was a last three of these, one the training department had, one at Derby and one for GEC Traction.

Regards

Al Taylor.

Hi Al,

Thanks for that. It does make sense as the construction of the model lends itself towards multiple production of parts rather than just a one off. The skirts on the ends are a single piece moulding and not made in sections. The base is made by machining 25mm thick acrylic sheets which are butted together in the middle, tongue and groove fashion.

Do you happen to know what happened them after the project had finished?

Regards

Vin

Archived