Beginners OO 1950's Banff

aardvark

10 hours ago, 25kV said:

Ha!  I was looking at the wrong building in the first place, having found photos of the stone structure with the arched doorway.  :) 

Ahhh! That would be the engine shed! I've already made that one, but I didn't bother with trusses. Maybe I should have.

P1170201.JPG.05ff0cbdf59dde5ea27cec8666389637.JPG

Still need to put the doors on it, though.

Edited by aardvark
  • Like 12

• 2 months later...

It looks lovely but maybe just too new - when you compare to the b&w photo above it looks too pristine. Maybe rough it up a little bit and you’ll be happier with it?

I stepped back from model railways for a while and have been painting Warhammer miniatures, and one technique I’ve picked up there is to do a wash of a thinned down dirty colour, then a dry brush of a highlight colour or your original colour over the top. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/12/2023 at 10:29, aardvark said:

Or might call on Messers Bodgit & Scarper of Chuffnell Regis fame.

Oh, don't go there Monsieur Vark...  It's the top of a very slippery slope!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/02/2024 at 10:28, sixoh8sixoh said:

It looks lovely but maybe just too new - when you compare to the b&w photo above it looks too pristine. Maybe rough it up a little bit and you’ll be happier with it?

I think you've named what I couldn't - it just looks too nice.

I will investigate distressing and/or weathering the shed.  There's lots of info in magazines and on the web, so lots of opportunities to procrastinate 🫢

Edited by aardvark
proofreadinf is not my superpower
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I don't usually post much, as I don't expect that the things I do are particularly innovative or my location particularly interesting, but perhaps this time, as I construct the Banff signal box, I might try posting just a little more frequently.

I've completed the CAD for the 'box.  I've learnt to draw it as I intend to build it.  This time, it will be plasticard over a 1mm card carcase, mostly because I already have most of a sheet of Evergreen clapboard remaining from the western end of the station building.

BanffSignalBoxMk3-1.jpg.cd2a79fc5156bba87d58f615bc71bb11.jpg

BanffSignalBoxMk3-2.jpg.1d964fc36fb8c99b3c23209e5be1b072.jpg

Regrettable, due to a complete lack of foresight in the 1850's by the BP&SR, the viewer will be presented with the following less-than-rivetting aspect.

BanffSignalBoxMk3-3.jpg.53b84767be78143d086b9d763f6b04f8.jpg

Because of this, I'm not convinced that I 'll bother with the usual Peco signal box interior, but time will tell.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I've just discovered that my (Australian) council library has e-versions of BRM and Model Rail.

I think I'm set for reading material for a while.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 15/03/2024 at 14:35, aardvark said:

I might try posting just a little more frequently.

... with the emphasis on try, perhaps.

The main signalbox windows cut out, assembled, painted and glazed.

P1170945.JPG.c70aa2a02b15f8895b30a879a1cd8eb0.JPG

P1170997.JPG.fbe0d7484487161b7f2afe8a21152bce.JPG

P1170998.JPG.0e0949770559be554b87eba5779d3a04.JPG

This is pretty much the same as previously, except this time I cut the window frames from 0.5mm plasticard.  The two spare bits of glazing are for the windows on the enclosure at the top of the stairs, which will be cut later from 0.25mm as befits the flimsier construction.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Really good scalpel work there to cut the frames out so perfectly.

Are you a surgeon by any chance? 🙂

A question (as I have no idea what the Banff railway practice was): in your CAD drawing you’ve shown the open window as hinged at the top. Is that correct? I thought signal box windows were always sliders, but there always seem to be exceptions.

• Thanks 1

Welcome north of the Borders, @GWR57xx. It's good to have your company.

It's no secret that I "cheat" by having purchased a Silhouette cutter to take care of the accurate cutting.  This was a carefully considered (procrastinated) purchase satisfying my desire to make things rather than buy them.  Also, I have a periodic shake/tremor in my dominant hand that can reduce a cup of tea to a 1/3 cup in no time at all, so the cutter definitely allows me to do things that I couldn't otherwise do.  The cutter makes a good job on 0.25 and 0.5mm plasticard, but each cutout still needs to be manually released with a scalpel.

Based on one photo, at least that particular window pivots from about 1/3 down - where the glazing bar is.  Yes, one photo: all the rest show the windows firmly closed, not that I could blame them.  I suspect that sliding windows might let too many drafts in.  It can be cool there.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, aardvark said:

Welcome north of the Borders, @GWR57xx. It's good to have your company.

It's no secret that I "cheat" by having purchased a Silhouette cutter to take care of the accurate cutting.  This was a carefully considered (procrastinated) purchase satisfying my desire to make things rather than buy them.  Also, I have a periodic shake/tremor in my dominant hand that can reduce a cup of tea to a 1/3 cup in no time at all, so the cutter definitely allows me to do things that I couldn't otherwise do.  The cutter makes a good job on 0.25 and 0.5mm plasticard, but each cutout still needs to be manually released with a scalpel.

Based on one photo, at least that particular window pivots from about 1/3 down - where the glazing bar is.  Yes, one photo: all the rest show the windows firmly closed, not that I could blame them.  I suspect that sliding windows might let too many drafts in.  It can be cool there.

I should have remembered about the Silhouette cutter, since I’ve been following your topic for a while.

I blame my memory and old age! 
Using whatever tools you have to hand and are able to wield successfully is not cheating in my book.

I use a laser cutter and 3d printer and don’t understand some folks attitude to them. I enjoy learning new stuff, and the 2d and 3d CAD programs took quite a while to get to grips with. It certainly isn’t a case of just pressing a button and sitting back, there’s a lot of work involved in getting to that point.

Your buildings are all looking great.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A somewhat rainy day has permitted an assortment of shapes to be cut from 1mm card, which, in the fullness of time, might be assembled to become the Banff signalbox.

P1180002.JPG.65faa017a2f115fa0a76488c8985bee4.JPG

Ok, the Silhouette cutter did most of the cutting, but someone has to supervise.

Some of the parts shown are templates to aid in the cutting of the clapboard plasticard.

@GWR57xx: I've have considered adding a 3D printer. Mostly, I think I'd be making twiddly-bits for decoration.  One day perhaps - there's plenty of things to be getting on with.

Edited by aardvark
  • Like 7

On 15/04/2024 at 11:09, aardvark said:

Guessing it's this photo! 

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/57/911/

GNSR boxes seem to have sliders on the rail-facing side, but there was perhaps no need on the ends.  It's fairly common these days, in this part of the world, to have mid-pivoting windows on buildings in general (especially above the ground floor) to allow for ladder-free exterior cleaning, though I don't know whether that's a long tradition or a more recent innovation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 25kV said:

Guessing it's this photo! 

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/57/911/

GNSR boxes seem to have sliders on the rail-facing side, but there was perhaps no need on the ends.  It's fairly common these days, in this part of the world, to have mid-pivoting windows on buildings in general (especially above the ground floor) to allow for ladder-free exterior cleaning, though I don't know whether that's a long tradition or a more recent innovation.

Yep, that's the photo.  There aren't many of the Banff 'box, which was removed in 1960, but this is the only one to show an open window. 

Thanks for your input. I think that you're right that the trackside windows would have slid. From the photo, it's hard to tell, but it would make sense.  I did wonder that the corner windows would have interfered with each other if they all pivoted.

• Like 1