Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, clachnaharry said:

I wonder what the reason for that move was - points failure perhaps, or attaching a van to the rear of the train?

... or they were cleaning the southern platform, or the outgoing formation was too long for the platform, or they made a mistake and gravity-shunted the carriages into the wrong platform after the previous service, or ...

Edited by aardvark

Yesterday, I took some bravery pills and sprayed my first turnout.

IMG_20200406_145442058.jpg.7c767ae28e8dfcf7f94a8492a436337d.jpg

During the 4 years to get to this point, I've reading any number of threads and blogs that talked about the need to mask off points before spraying, but I was never entirely sure I understood why.  Two possibilities: electrical conductivity, and general gumming up of the mechanism.

I'm using bonded point rails and droppers in each length of track, so I don't need to rely on physical contact of the point rails to the stock rails for conductivity.  Further, I reasoned that the open point didn't require masking since the point rail and srtock rails aren't in contact and therefore couldn't get stuck together.

So I just masked off  the closed point with sliver of tape trimmed to the sides of the rails (upper in the photo).

I was delighted that it all came out ok, with nothing get stuck, and the switch mechanism apparently unaffected by a light spraying.  Phew!!  Moreover, there's a minimum that will need to be touched up by brush.

• Like 2

A recent post by JZ on Ben Alder's The Far North Line thread shows the interior of the Garve goods shed, including cart bays indented into the shed floor.   This has me wondering whether I should model cart bays at Banff.  Further, Ben says:

12 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Bit of a grey area - interior views of goods sheds are like rocking horse droppings - and AFAIK, many of these cart bays were filled in to give a wider unloading space at some time in their history.

So, without any evidence, I can go either way.

Since this side of the Banff goods shed faces the observer (should I ever find one), then perhaps cart bays (complete with a cart) would add an interesting vignette to the scene.

or maybe I've just found something else to procrastinate over :unsure:

• Like 1

Step 5: cut and glue down 5mm sub-foam.

P1160380.JPG.f92286e75a7a2648b1f819eb0da3c7f7.JPG

Two baseboards are shown here.  The more distance one has cutouts where turnouts will go.

• Like 2

I've always had a soft spot for Banff but because it was gravity shunted its put me off as a model. 

One of Cyril Freezers first trackplan books has a very nice interpretation of Banff but with a runaround added which would make it easier to operate.

Macduff across the bay has a much easier to operate trackplan, another I've thought of doing. I have a D40 to build so maybe one day.

The buildings you've drawn in sketch up look great, I wish I had the skill to use that programme, it would make doing buildings easier. I look forward to seeing your layout grow.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/04/2020 at 23:44, aardvark said:

... or they were cleaning the southern platform, or the outgoing formation was too long for the platform, or they made a mistake and gravity-shunted the carriages into the wrong platform after the previous service, or ...

My next-door-neighbour-but-one hails from Banff and is of the right age to remember the passenger service, so when I saw him digging his flower bed this afternoon I asked him about the longer platform. He confirmed he’d never seen it used for departing trains. However he also mentioned that summer Saturdays could see trains of up to seven or eight coaches from Glasgow, often behind a D40, “Gordon Highlander” being the one which stuck in his memory; and Caley 0-4-4T 55185.

He’s going to consult various older relatives for other memories so I’ll pass on anything of interest.

Good luck with your project

regards

Graham

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Graham R said:

My next-door-neighbour-but-one hails from Banff and is of the right age to remember the passenger service, so when I saw him digging his flower bed this afternoon I asked him about the longer platform. He confirmed he’d never seen it used for departing trains. However he also mentioned that summer Saturdays could see trains of up to seven or eight coaches from Glasgow, often behind a D40, “Gordon Highlander” being the one which stuck in his memory; and Caley 0-4-4T 55185.

Graham: I can't thank you enough for this information, or the consideration to gather it.  Anything further that you are your neighbour can reveal will be equally well received.  A formation of such length would have been much too long for the shorter southern platform, and may well explain the photo earlier.

Your neighbour might be interested in Banff & Macduff when you were a kid on Facebook,  I stumbled over a photo of my father-in-law there!!

A quick search shows that Gordon Highlander is preserved at the Scottish Railway Museum at Bo'ness.

My own sister-in-law emigrated from Banff in 1958 (I think), but was only 8 at the time and has no memory of the station as she and her brother weren't allowed to go down to the station, which is both understandable and unfortunate.

I had previous known about britainfromabove.org.uk,  and that you can download low-res images for personal use (free).  I have only just learnt that if you create an account (also free), then you can zoom into high-res versions of their images.

Hence, I have a better view of the mysterious northern side of the goods shed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

When I come to it, the plan is for the Beginner’s Banff buildings to be constructed using differing techniques. 

Where I can get away with simple painting, the signal box and goods shed will be in embossed plasticard over a carcase of double 0.040” plasticard as described by Paul Bason in his excellent book Scratch-Built Buildings.

The station building, engine shed, water tower, cottages, retaining walls, coal merchant offices and whatever I do with the town end of the layout, all of which feature stone and hence beyond my ability to paint convincingly, will be constructed using “brick” papers.

I’ve struggled to find beginner instructions for “brick” paper construction.  Vendors like Scalescenes have tips and tricks of working with their products, but stop short of making a building. There are plenty of tutorials on how to assemble a card kit, but this is a different thing.

I did finally manage to find copies of Doug Dickson’s useful Cardbard Modelling the Scalescenes Way which have otherwise disappeared with the defunct www.model-railways-live.co.uk.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=10095&forum_id=101#p202511

I’m still somewhat puzzled with covering the ends of the underlying carcase sides.  I know I carry the paper around the end, but the few photo examples suggest one piece of “brick” paper per carcase side, which would leave paper joins on show close to building corners.  I have read that such joins might be hidden behind downpipes, but the Banff buildings don’t always have downpipes in convenient locations.

Edit: another "How to" post by Doug Dickson: http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=3290&forum_id=14

Edited by aardvark

I still haven't actually laid any track yet, but I am getting closer. Promise.

Recently, I've been painting track.

P1160389.JPG.bb9dc0cc940a62137ce81b0a8035fce9.JPG

From the left, we have:

1. C&L flexitrack (thin sleeper);
  2. sprayed with Citadel Mechanicus Standard Grey; then
  3. sploshed with Citadel Nuln Oil; then
  4. brushed over with Citadel Dawnstone.

I'm reasonably happy with the result, but I should have taken this comparative photo earlier in the process, as I see now that I'm might be being heavy-handed with the Dawnstone.  Not bad enough to warrant re-painting what I've done, but something to keep an eye on.

I don't know whether it's worth the trouble, but it doesn't really matter does it?  For me, this is a pastime, and I can pass it painting track as doing anything else.  To be honest, I was discouraged by the prospect of this painting, until I recalled the 15 Minute Hero series of articles: the idea being that I didn't need to do it all in one sitting, just a bit a day, just a few minutes, and in the end it would be done.

Some thought has also been given to disguising the ballast gap around the turnout tiebars - the bit were you don't want ballast lest it gum up the points.   I liked the idea of DCC Concepts tiebar labels, but a) I'd have to order then from the UK, and b) they only come in one colour.  I was wondering how I might make my own, and was considering what DIY print-it-yourself "brick" paper would have acceptable colour and texture.   Ben Alder suggested that I take a photo of the ballast I am going to use, and print that (don't know why I couldn't think of that myself), which I did, but nothing is ever easy, is it?

P1160387.JPG.171549b17d7b0597ad088e473fe3a425.JPG

In fact I printed it twice, and this is a photo of both.  The print on the left was done at my local library for A$0.60/A4 and is unexpectedly and unacceptably purplish in hue.  The one on the right is from a printing shop for A$1,10/A4.  My plan is to cut the latter into small pieces with a slot in each, and to stick them to the underside of the turnouts using a gluestick.

The photographed ballast is Green Scene 2mm Scale Black Ash Ballast.  I plan to use a mix of 2 and 4mm on the "main" line, 2mm in the sidings, and 2mm plus coal ash in the engine sidings.  Given my learning from above that I should take photos as I go along, here's a photo of the 2mm and 4mm ballast, unmixed.

P1160390.JPG.86394b5520fe9e78abf0d944fe7686b9.JPG

I was happy to be able to see the difference, as only one of my packets of ballast had a label on it :nea_mini:

In the next couple of days, I hope to get some ballasting done with this mix.

Yes, ballast first, then track laying.

• Like 4

I've been thinking about it for a while, and decided to make a few modifications to my baseboards before they get track laid.

First was changing the bolts joining the boards (3 at each join) from ¼" bolt, nut and two washers to M8 bolt, T-nut and one washer.  This reduces the number of things I have to juggle upside-down while joining boards from 6 to 3 (including tools).

The second was to add a little shelf under one end of each baseboard to temporarily support the next board while joining them.  I use brass pattern-maker dowels to ensure correct alignment, but have found it quite fiddly to position an unwieldy baseboard onto the dowels.

P1160391.JPG.85f1ca040a95849f7bf2cbe5c2aaea01.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 25/07/2020 at 18:23, aardvark said:

I still haven't actually laid any track yet ...

I still haven't, but I have just ballasted some, and I simply can't stop myself from posting twice in one day. :yahoo_mini:

As a beginner, everything can be so confusing because there seem to be as many ways of doing something as there are modellers. Well, almost.  Classically, ballasting falls into two methods identified by St. Enodoc as ballast first and glue first, but I'm doing neither of those by using Tracklay, as recommended by my friend and mentor Ben Alder.

Basically, it's a strip of closed-cell foam with adhesive on one side - you stick the track to the foam, then rub the ballast over, shake off, and you're done.

P1160392.JPG.8d5543aca486c6f74d7f13bf78262913.JPG

No glue getting in the wrong places, no water mist, no detergent, no waiting for it to dry, no vacuum. Time taken to ballast one 500mm length of track: about 10 minutes, including the time to remember where I had stored things.

Above shows a wooden jig I made up to hold the foam while positioning the track. It also helps contain the ballast while pressing it down with the Ballast Compaction Device (index finger), which was an unexpected bonus.

Here's the track out of the jig:

P1160393.JPG.66d1261c5062c8e57c738e97e5221e75.JPG

The ballast looks very good to this beginner, but those droppers :bo_mini:

I turned the track over, slit through the Tracklay, and pulled the wires through.  This dislodged a little ballast from around the cut, which I had to replace, but otherwise ...

P1160394.JPG.ccef3f100e6a535565f48244ab909916.JPG

All this was done over a sheet of newspaper: just pick it up and poor the excess ballast back into its container for re-use.

Next will be ballasting turnouts ...

Edited by aardvark
grammar
  • Like 4

Great to see stuff moving along Dean.  Onwards and upwards!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Dean,

The pattern makers dowels are excellent. I wished I used them on all joining basebaords for my layout instead of 1/4 bolts.

Even with my best efforts some parts of the layout didn't maintain the level of horizontal alignment I would prefer.

At least I will know for next time.

Regards

Rodney

• Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Great to see stuff moving along Dean.  Onwards and upwards!

Thanks Tony - I'm pretty happy to see some progress too :rolleyes:.  Hoping I can keep the enthusiasm up.  Has it really been 2½ years since you showed me around your layout?

On a separate thread where I was learning to understand the signalling diagram for Banff, in response to a discussion about the difficulty of modelling gravity shunting,  St. Enodoc suggested ...

On 10/07/2020 at 20:03, St Enodoc said:

An alternative would be to have a spare engine, either a station pilot or another passenger loco, waiting in the shed area. Also not prototypical but not as bad as adding extra tracks?

I would have to agree that having a non-prototypical station pilot hiding in the loco shed would be more acceptable than installing a non-prototypical passenger run-around loop or other track hackery (trackery?).  It would also add some model operational interest, and be trivial to revert when (if) I get up to modelling gravity shunting with motorised carriage(s) and/or wagon(s).

With this idea in mind, it occurs to me to pick up a Barclay 0-4-0ST for this purpose.  I know, I know - Barclays were industrial locos and would never have been used for such purposes - but, you see, Barclay was the given name of my father-in-law who emigrated from Banff in 1958.  My wife was very excited to see one at Minehead when we were there in 2015, so just maybe the appearance of a Barclay on the layout in BR black might be worth some brownie points.

Or have I lost all my marbles??  :crazy:

Edited by aardvark
grammar - why do I only ever seen these things after pressing the Submit Reply button?
  • Like 3