Next18 DCC Decoders

Andy Y

Next18 DCC Decoders

The recently unveiled engineering prototypes for the forthcoming Graham Farish N Scale Castle Class 4-6-0 locomotives included the news that these new models will be fitted with Next18 DCC Decoder sockets. This is a new development in the British outline N scale ready to run market.

castles001.jpg

Next18 DCC decoders and sockets benefit from a compact, user friendly interface. They have improved functionality, enabling the easier use of additional lighting and sound features compared to 6 pin decoders traditionally found in N scale models. When using 6 pin decoders auxiliary outputs such as loudspeakers etc. have to be soldered  to the decoder via wire leads , however with Next18 such outputs are connected to the main locomotive PCB so there is no risk of damage to the decoder when adding such features to your model. The decoder is mounted above the circuit board in a similar manner to a 21 pin interface, which reduces the overall length required for DCC fitment. The size advantages of this interface enables locomotives to be equipped with DCC that would have previously been impossible

This connector is already a popular choice in Europe and is available from the major decoder manufacturers.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for info Andy, a somewhat clearer explanation than the info that accompanied the Castle press release! (The picture isn't showing though)

One can't help but wonder if the use of this standard has come about as a result of the J72 announcement and the need to squeeze a decoder into it's petite frame somehow!

Regardless, it would be nice to see some of the smaller engines in the Bachmann OO range scaled down to N Gauge. A C Class in SECR livery would do very nicely........

Tom. 

I also read that the first diesel to feature this new decoder tech will be the class 40 so I contacted Farish and suggested that with the additional capabilities might it be possible that we will see cab interior lights on future N gauge diesels as per their 00 models.  the idea (as usual with these suggestions)  has been forwarded on the relevant dept.

its good news for N gauge. 

Hello,

Thanks for the info on this. Surely this has all been available on the continent for ages? So at last we British are slowly moving from the Neanderthal age to the digital age...

All that time I have been soldering decoders to loco's and ripping out those space-consuming circuit boards (so very 20th century....)

Hopefully the new Class 40 will have space for a decent speaker - especially in loco's that sound so magnificent. Cab lighting is also a good idea. Lets not forgot that some 4mm models don't even have basic lighting in the first place (Class 20's in 4mm don't, but the 2mm ones do), so our manufacturers have a long way to go yet - but its a start.

Cheers

Paul

According to some French N modellers the Next18 installation on the new Arnold N SNCF CC72000 requires a level of dexterity akin to Houdini's escape skills. I do not think the Next18/NEM662 has been very widespread in N gauge in Continental Europe yet. A few Fleischmann, Hobbytrain and Liliput chassis if I remember.

Archived