Scottish Class 24s - help needed!

I'm throwing this out as a question to modelers...

I've acquired a Bachmann Class 24 (early - green / skinhead variety) and would like to put her to work on our layout set loosely in the North East of Scotland.

My question is - were there any NON-headcode-fitted members of class 24 that were regularly found north of the border in the early - mid 1960s?

With headcode panels: As far as I can tell, there was a batch of 24 allocated to Inverness when newly built. These 24s were D5114–D5132 and were all fitted with roof-mounted headcode panels and tablet catchers for the highland lines.

(I have found examples at Aberdeen of an 'all-green' loco from the Inverness allocation like this one of D5123 passing Aberdeen Ferryhill)

Without headcode panels:  The pilot locos (no headcode boxes) could definitely be found in Scotland but it seems happened much later in the 1970s, once they were largely repainted in BR blue: D5068 at Aberdeen

Any insights on this ... much appreciated!

post-26609-0-97344000-1454253853_thumb.jpg

.. fantastic information offered up so quickly - this forum is great! The allocation history is especially revealing - it looks like 1966 amd 1971 were the big years for transfers to Scotland of the early 24s - many returning south or ending up on the scrap line within only a few years.

I'm tempted to renumber her as D5068 and give her the yellow warning panels on the basis that she definitely made it to Aberdeen, even though the only photo I can find is in the later BR blue.

Many thanks for your help on this !

However, it looks like we should really have had an Inverness allocated 24 with headcode panel and car headlamps to look properly 'Scottish'!

My question is - were there any NON-headcode-fitted members of class 24 that were regularly found north of the border in the early - mid 1960s?

There are a few photographs of non-headcode engines on the ex-GNSR line in the 1960's. With yellow warning panels. 

John

There are a few photographs of non-headcode engines on the ex-GNSR line in the 1960's. With yellow warning panels. 

John

Cheers John and everyone else for the info - the 'Derby Sulzers' pages confirm the numbers that found their way to Scotland in the mid-60s (including a confirmed working of a pair Edinburgh - Aberdeen!)

A touch of yellow on the front and some renumbering and we're there!

Now if I can only find those old Hornby class 25 bodies, I might be up for a blue-era 'Highland' class 24 project!!

Cheers John and everyone else for the info - the 'Derby Sulzers' pages confirm the numbers that found their way to Scotland in the mid-60s (including a confirmed working of a pair Edinburgh - Aberdeen!)

A touch of yellow on the front and some renumbering and we're there!

Now if I can only find those old Hornby class 25 bodies, I might be up for a blue-era 'Highland' class 24 project!!

D5070 and D5095 were both caught on camera wandering north of Aberdeen, there will be others.

John

D5070 and D5095 were both caught on camera wandering north of Aberdeen, there will be others.

John

... great stuff - thanks again for the info as it looks like we have a few options 'up our sleeves'. By the way,  I took time to look at your photos of 'Balbeggie Sidings' - what a treat! Some lovely train formations that brought back memories of Scotland in the 80s, Some very evocative pictures with a 'real railway' feel - long stretches of track to watch authentic length trains to pass by. I spent a fair bit of time up the North East whilst on family holidays as a schoolboy, photographing and travelling on trains that started in the Granite City. My father and I have a layout 'Braeside' which gives us the chance to run the types of locos and trains that we both remember from our respective childhoods.

Archived