RTR 0-6-0 Chassis selection

9 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Its 3 years since the guy posted so I guess he's either built it or forgotten all about it.

Answer is yes/no/maybe! I started construction of the loco body at about the same time as my original post. Shortly after that I sold my house and moved to look after my elderly parents. Most of the projects that I had on the go at that time have been packed away in my storage unit. Needless to say that this ex Barry loco is way down on the list of items to be completed. I'm one of those modellers who always have at least ten projects happening at a time. I've started more than that since the move and only completed about half of them. Currently have 5 Bulldogs, 2 Dukes and an Earl in various stages of construction plus about half a dozen old GEM LNWR kits under way as well.

Dave R  

• RMweb Gold

I used to be the same, but am now more disciplined; no more than 2 and ideally only one project at a time, further projects to be planned but not started until the current one or two are complete.  Two on the go ensures that there are a variety of jobs to do that suit your prevailing mood at the time, but any more than that I find confusing and enthusiasm diluting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devo63 said:

Answer is yes/no/maybe! I started construction of the loco body at about the same time as my original post. Shortly after that I sold my house and moved to look after my elderly parents. Most of the projects that I had on the go at that time have been packed away in my storage unit. Needless to say that this ex Barry loco is way down on the list of items to be completed. I'm one of those modellers who always have at least ten projects happening at a time. I've started more than that since the move and only completed about half of them. Currently have 5 Bulldogs, 2 Dukes and an Earl in various stages of construction plus about half a dozen old GEM LNWR kits under way as well.

Dave R  

Dave R    Glad to hear it. Actually 3 years is nothing.  I bought a K's 44XX off a guy what must be 45 years ago because I it was before I had my first motorbike.  It was compete but didn't like my curves and packed up instantly.   Its still on my to do list and I haven't moved house for well over 30 years!  

With the chassis I find Coupling rods to be the limiting factor.  The etched ones are great for appearance but in my world of heavy stock and long trains they don't last long.  I like substantial crank pins and strong rods my current favourites being Bachmann opened out to take Triang/Hornby coupling rod screws.   With a good matched pair of rods I find marking out and drilling either  brass side frames or re drilling a RTR chassis to be an option. For instance I re drilled Hornby X04 powered B12 chassis to move the rear axle back to take Bachmann 57XX rods to replace a dead split chassis Mainline /Bachmann 57XX chassis to fit a Lima 94XX body.  But to keep it reliable you have to drill the chassis to suit the rods.   

In this case I would look to use Triang TT Jinty rods as I believe they are pretty much 6ft + 6ft spacing in 00 (8ft + 8ft in TT) with a strip brass chassis and (High Level) motor/ gearbox as there is such a vast amount of daylight under the running plate and around those tiny wheels.