Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

We have recently revised the Darkly Labs website. Information, projects, help centre, etc has been streamlined.

We are also committed to supporting our products, even after they are superseded. For all Emblaser 1 users, please always get in contact with help@darklylabs.com if your E1 needs a part that may not appear in our online store.

I also encourage you to join our mailing group as there are some new product announcements this year that will be significant for model railway enthusiasts.

darklylabs.com

Domenic

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone!

Our new 10w laser upgrade not only has more power, but also has a finer laser beam. This means the kerf size is at least half the size, allowing for much finer detail.

Please let me know if you have any questions. We are posting new videos and information regularly, so please check our youtube page or the Facebook 'Emblaser 2 Laser Group'.

Best regards,

Domenic

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darkly,

Is 10W (+finer kerf) getting anywhere near enough power to start cutting thin brass sheet - or is 1 or 2 more orders of magnitude in power required?

Kev.

8 hours ago, Darkly Labs said:

Hi Everyone!

Our new 10w laser upgrade not only has more power, but also has a finer laser beam. This means the kerf size is at least half the size, allowing for much finer detail.

Please let me know if you have any questions. We are posting new videos and information regularly, so please check our youtube page or the Facebook 'Emblaser 2 Laser Group'.

Best regards,

Domenic

Hi Domenic,

I’m probably not alone in having a fear and loathing of Facebook.  Please give us Luddites a link!

cherrs

Simon

Regarding cutting metals, the latest 20W (optical output) diode heads are capable of cutting very thin steels and stainless steels circa 0.005 inch (0.125 mm) maybe a fraction thicker but they won't cut brass or aluminium (or copper) because those metals are too efficient at conducting heat away from the area the laser is hitting 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...

The current performance between 10w and 20w is minimal, especially with the testing we have conducted with a number of laser units available on the market.

The issue is that the 20w units have a bigger spot size which detracts from the increased power output. They are also inadequately cooled, resulting in degraded performance and very short life spans., Be really wary of the numbers some manufacturers are quoting as they are far from the reality.

We stand by our 10w laser upgrade as a cost effective, reliable and best combination of power and performance and cost.

At the moment, we have an Xmas sale on our 10w upgraded Emblaser Core 10w machines that you can review here:

https://darklylabs.com/product/emblaser-core-kit/

Please let me know if you would like more information / explanation about performance and what we have tested.

Domenic 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My E1 laser which I haven't used for six months was found not to be working last week to my dismay..... Everything was functioning, except the laser itself, suggesting the laser, or it's driver. I contacted Darkly Labs, who were very helpful, but said the laser needed to be returned for checking, as it needed an oscilloscope to diagnose the issue.

However, whilst j was stripping it down, I found this connection  had badly overheated, so since there was nothing to lose, I chopped it off, cleaned everything off, and soldered the tail directly to the pins on the board, and all is now working nicely!

It may be worth keeping an eye on your laser power connectors.....

2022-12-05_11-49-41

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

This overheating 'may' have been caused from small amounts of debris dust getting into the connector over a long period of time. This would have caused the connection to eventually overheat like this.

We have legacy stock of these connectors and also the Emblaser 1 pcbs if you ever need them replaced.

• Like 4

I've had my E1 from the first batch, about seven years ago - and on the few occasions I've needed support or answers, Darkly Labs have been consistently quick, friendly and helpful - and that's seven years in!

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Darkly Labs will be exhibiting at a Model Train & Railway show in Australia next month.

We would love to show some of the amazing work created with the Emblaser.

If you have any hi-res photos of your creations and perhaps some of it being made, please get in contact with us. We would like to print them out and feature them on our stand.

All creators will be fully credited and we will even send you a copy of the printed image that was used.

thanks,

Domenic

• 1 year later...