RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

That's a nice job you've done there! Hope you found the kit reasonably straight forward.

BTW the kit is in nickel silver, not brass. N/s is much easier to work with and solder than brass.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim,

The kit was straight forward to build the only issue I had was failing to read the instructions, you'll notice I've soldered in the removable roof sub-assembly!

And apologies I should have realised it was nickle silver!

Enjoy the Perth show, it's a nice part of the world, I spent a while up there with work a few years ago.

Angus

• Like 1

I'm up in Perth this weekend, but I'll post the references to the articles in the 2MM Magazine when I'm home.

Almost forgot about this with other things taking up my time since i came home.

My initial articles on the AJ coupling were in the August 1994 (p57) and December 1994 (p89) issues.  The 'coil sprung' version which I now use was described in the February 2007 issue, p4.   Bert Groves had an article on them in the May 1965 issue, p5.   Nigel Cliffe described a means of digitally controlling the coupling on a DCC fitted loco in October 2009, p75.  There is also the excellent publication from the P4 Society 'Alex Jackson, The Man and The Coupling'.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been outside enjoying the fine weather so little work has been done at the workbench.

What time I've had has been dedicated to finishing off some projects (much needed too, I've too many on the go).

The fruits of my labour are shown below with a couple of completed wagons.

The CR open is one of Caley Jim's Buchanan kits, and a very nice kit it is too.

I've almost finished constructing another of his kits, a Diagram 6 Brake van, just the final fiddly hand rails and lamp irons and it will ready for the paint shop.

The LNWR 15'6 Diagram 2 is a 3d print from Chris Higgs's shapeway shop. It is fitted with a 2mm association underframe and Dave Eveleigh's etched solebars. 

The Covered van has made an appearance before but I made the mistake of not sealing the decals with a varnish so managed to destroy most of them while handling the van.

In the process of reapplying the decals I've also added the end number, I wasn't going to bother but seeing Adrian's vans on his Holywell Town layout at Chelford made me appreciate ti was worth the effort.

attachicon.gifWagon 8.jpg

And with a penny for scale:-

attachicon.gifWagon 9.jpg

The jury is still out on the Microtrains couplings, I've a pile of materials and jigs to try out Electras so these may change in the near future.

I don't think these will be of any use to you, but they may be interesting for others with similar coupling problems.  I could see these as being really quite useful for those with roundy roundy layouts where coupling and uncoupling is not going to be a regular feature.  Essentially they provide a semi-permanent coupling - well the 3915 does, the others are cosmetic

http://jppennati.com/N/page.html

3910 through to 3915 are the interesting items - especially the 3915.  They were reviewed in the July Loco Revue and look very realistic on modern stock.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy,

If I was going down the route of semi permanent couplings I would just use 3 link.

Shunting is essential on a layout like Glencruitten, and an operational activity I enjoy so would be a requirement of any layout i build.  

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I appreciate they are not going to work in your context of FY to terminus - so my comment of perhaps being useful to others.

I have the same issues with Haltemprice Quay in 00.  At least 3 links are a possibility but I dislike "fiddling" on stage so to speak.  And with slowly diminishing faculties coupling becomes more and more time consuming (no double entendres intended).  In N I can see the problems being even worse. 

• RMweb Gold

I must not not start a new project, I must finish those already started first.....

I must not not start a new project, I must finish those already started first.....

:onthequiet:

As I am awaiting some thinners for my varnish and some canopy glue for the galzing to arrive I can't progress the brake van any further

post-13616-0-49289400-1530478090.jpg

But all the painting is done, just decals, glazing and then the roof and weathering.

The loco build is also stalled, I'm currently rebuilding the chassis for the third time (and hopefully the last!).

Jerry (Queensquare) has kindly offered some spare frame spacer etches which should help make this attempt more successful.

I'm holding off any more work on the chassis until these arrive.

So I've an excuse to start the carriage kit I have had sat waiting to start for over a year.

My ultimate aim is build a layout based on an actual location on the Callander & Oban line (and associate lines) in Caledonian days, and fulfill a boyhood ambition.

Glencruitten is a step along that route enabling me to build some relevant stock in preparation.

Until recently carriage details for the C&O carriage workings have been hard to find details of. 

The two books on the C&O barely mention the carriage stock in Caley days beyond the Maid of Morven, the Pullman observation car introduced in 1914.

Mike Williams's book on Caledonian carriages sheds some light on the subject, and I'm hoping the 1913 marshaling of trains booklet from the Caledonian Railway Association will illuminate the subject some more.

Worsely Works offer some Caley 45' coaches in 2mm, sadly these are not the earlier 45' carriages built for the C&O working (coupled set of 2x brake 3rd and 1x first coupe), however, there is a picture of the later series 45' brake composite at Balquidder with a train for Crief (not quite C&O but close!).

post-13616-0-46985400-1530479396.jpg

Note: A Register of WCJS carriages wrongly state this location is Killin Junction (Even the best make mistake occasionally!).

Also, from Mike Williams's Caledonian Railway Carriages book, it appears that brake composites were regularly worked from Edinburgh (Princes Street) to Callander where they were added to the Glasgow - Oban working, so plenty of opportunity for odd coaches to turn up.

anyway progress so far:-

post-13616-0-69838800-1530479739.jpg

It doesn't look much but a lot of work has gone into getting this far forming tumblehomes, drilling out for gas lights, door handles, handrails etc. not forgetting the dreaded guards lookouts!

A couple of 2mm Scale Association Fox Bogies await assembly but everything else under the solebar will need to be scratch built.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress has been made on the carriage.

The underframe is now on and that, apart form the roof, is the entirety of the Worsley Works etch.

The interior and underframe detail need to be scratch built.

Still there's nothing too complicated under there.

post-13616-0-84910500-1530738443.jpg

I've also built the first 8' Fox bogie with Mansell wheel inserts.

Both are 2mm Scale Association products.

If I'm honest, I was dreading building the bogie as these looked complicated, but the recommended method of construction using the wheel bearings as locators makes life easy.

I'm really enjoying this build so far!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress has been made on the carriage.

The underframe is now on and that, apart form the roof, is the entirety of the Worsley Works etch.

The interior and underframe detail need to be scratch built.

Still there's nothing too complicated under there.

post-13616-0-84910500-1530738443.jpg

If I'm honest, I was dreading building the bogie as these looked complicated, but the recommended method of construction using the wheel bearings as locators makes life easy.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

nice work I appear to have lost the ability to solder   :cry:

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick

Whenever my soldering abilities fail, I usually find it is either the iron has lost its tinning or the metal at the joint is too gunked up and dirty.

A quick clean and some fresh solder on the tip usually sorts things.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been referred to?

http://www.johngraycentre.org/places/1-places/sites-of-interest/royal-naval-air-station-east-fortune/

Thanks

Edit to add another link...

More specific to Airships, but a lot of info on the site.

http://www.airshipsonline.com/airships/r100/

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link, all information gratefully received.

I am still active just not been doing anything photogenic recently and, in all honesty, I've not been that productive with the recent distractions of good weather and the tour.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Worsely Works offer some Caley 45' coaches in 2mm, sadly these are not the earlier 45' carriages built for the C&O working (coupled set of 2x brake 3rd and 1x first coupe), however, there is a picture of the later series 45' brake composite at Balquidder with a train for Crief (not quite C&O but close!).

attachicon.gif439 at Balquidder with WCJS brake lave compo and CR 45' brake compo 1.jpg

Note: A Register of WCJS carriages wrongly state this location is Killin Junction (Even the best make mistake occasionally!).

I've seen that photo discussed elsewhere - on Londontram's thread or the CRASSOC forum? - the nearer carriage is, I think, ex-WCJS. The observation that strikes me is that the tumblehome of the Caledonian carriage is much less pronounced than that of the WCJS carriage. The CR carriage looks almost slab-sided.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stephen,

That picture has been discussed in a couple of place. 

According to Mike William's book on Caledonian carriages it is an ex WCJS 42' lavatory composite (D15).

London Road Models do a 4mm kit, I may approach them to see if I can get the sides and ends reduced to 2mm.

The tumblehome of the Wolverton built carriage does appear much more pronounced.

Angus

• RMweb Gold

The brake composite build has progressed to a rolling carcass.

Still the under-frame detail to add and then on with the interior and exterior details.

post-13616-0-22569700-1533840489_thumb.jpg

It rolls along quite nicely too.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress has been suspended on Glencruitten for a wee while.

This isn't because I've abandoned it for a re-awakened interest in 7mm scale, but rather because we've had the decorators in:-

post-13616-0-89552000-1536864457_thumb.jpg

post-13616-0-09417000-1536864487_thumb.jpg

post-13616-0-37766800-1536864511_thumb.jpg

The decorator in question is my wife who has done a superb job of re-painting the backscene for me.

I just the hope the rest of layout lives up to her standards!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

The hanger has always been a concern in that it unbalances the composition.

During planning I could never find an arrangement that work to my satisfaction.

It is an essential structure though and would have dominated the landscape in real life.

I'm hoping once the hill at the fiddle yard exit grows some trees and the airship is placed between the hanger and the hill some balance will be returned.

Might be a vain hope though!

• RMweb Gold

There are some days I question my sanity....

I spent a hour the other night soldering up a 2mm scale wheelbarrow from Severn models.

It will form a cameo with two of Modelu's sappers loading coal for the boiler house.

post-13616-0-46157100-1537097926_thumb.jpg

The instructions advise using superglue, but where's the fun in that?  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

There are some days I question my sanity....

I spent a hour the other night soldering up a 2mm scale wheelbarrow from Severn models.

It will form a cameo with two of Modelu's sappers loading coal for the boiler house.

attachicon.gifwheelbarrow.jpg

The instructions advise using superglue, but where's the fun in that?  :scratchhead:

How brilliantly mad of you. And I would struggle with that at twice the size!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Being on holiday for a week I took some wagon etches and associated tools with me to try and decrease the "to do" pile a bit.

First up one of Caley Jim's Buchanan Kit etches for a D22 dumb buffered wagon.

These were quite numerous and similar to the NBR coal wagons and many Scottish PO wagons.

I did have a concern that dumb buffered wagons would be inappropriate for my WW1 setting.

Reference to Mike William's Caledonian wagon book reveals the following board minute from 1914:-

"1,250 solid buffer wagons to be converted by rebuilding....being part of the whole stock of 10,000 solid buffer wagons to be dealt within the next 4 years from 1st January 1915."

Mike goes on to record that 6,000 had been converted by 1917.

The etch is a work of art in it's own right:-

post-13616-0-55503200-1540847535_thumb.jpg

including some very fine door retaining straps that I wouldn't have thought possible to etch (bare in mind the background grid is 10mm x 10mm).

post-13616-0-62400100-1540847649_thumb.jpg

A couple of hours work saw the chassis up and rolling.

I need to straighten out the axle box covers and the dumb buffers are not as neat as I'm sure Jim intended, a bit of filler prior to paint will sort out any small gaps.

I'll add the brake lever once the body is done to prevent damage.

post-13616-0-10882400-1540847783_thumb.jpg

Too much whisky in front of the log fire makes it unwise to be waving the soldering iron around any further tonight.  :no:

• Like 6