RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm rather embarrassed to find I haven't posted anything here since the 1st August!  :blush:

Work, Holidays, DIY, Gardening all have conspired to eat into my modelling time....even so!

Progress has been made though.

First up, some height adjustable trestles have been purchased for exhibiting.

They are as recommended by the good Mr Rice in a couple of his books and I've justified buying them as they will be a useful aid when decorating our high ceilings (a forthcoming job..... :help: )

post-13616-0-99613900-1505070637.jpg

Whilst these are available from several of the well known DiY warehouses, mine came from ebay at around half the price.

Assembly was required and the quality isn't prefect, but I've no complaints at the price.

Fortuitously on the highest setting the layout will be displayed at the same level as at home (51 inches since you ask.......)

All the DiY also served a purpose since it cleared space for the bookcases to moved that now support the layout.

The back wall is due a repaint so will reappear in a colour more sympathetic to the layout fascia.

post-13616-0-18815700-1505070861.jpg

The photo above is with the LEDs switch off, as with them on the foreground was burnt out.

The backscene has been added with mixed results.

The good end:-

post-13616-0-46847200-1505070966.jpg

The intent is to add some hills at low level over the sky once the horizon/eye level is established.

Unfortunately I botched the left hand application so a re-think is in order.

I am currently trying to persuade my art student wife to paint over the whole lot.

In exchange I will have to build a light box to enable her to photograph her art, something the layout is being used for at the moment.

Seems a fair swap.

The bad end:-

post-13616-0-54472400-1505071170.jpg

With backscene on work has started on the river scene.

post-13616-0-47431000-1505071217.jpg

The polystyrene has been hacked to rough contours and the hills added.

The bridge will be built prior to any more progress here.

Having worked in the construction industry, all too often I see dubious model structures which don't look right.

To avoid this I am going to base the bridge on a timber structure on the Kirkcudbright branch. 

The bridge will be built without a full deck as I am presuming this has been hastily constructed as a temporary bridge until a more permanent structure can be installed.

The drawings for this bridge are in Andrew Swan's rather excellent Port Road book, although the Kirkcudbright branch was a GSWR line so I'll probably be excommunicated from the Caledonian Railway Association........

Finally, the track work is also progressing with the pointwork assembly through the half way stage:-

post-13616-0-87845600-1505071744.jpg

Track laying will be able to commence soon, although Shop 1 are currently out of easitrac wooden sleeper bases so it might be a quickly stalled start.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping to start getting the track down this weekend, but frustratingly, the spray mount I ordered is waiting at the post office.  :rtfm:

I need this to stick down the templates over which the track will be laid, once power feed holes and turnout drives have been appropriately drilled.

The templates have been printed out on 200gsm card and trimmed ready to lay:-

post-13616-0-35535000-1505676431.jpg

post-13616-0-37756700-1505676486.jpg

The other job to enable the track to go down is to bridge the river cutting.

My wife was out last night so with Spectre on Netflix and a glass of whiskey as accompaniment I built up the main span:-

post-13616-0-88498800-1505676667.jpg

Further work today added the approach spans.

I've still got to add the cross bracing to these but it's taking shape:-

post-13616-0-29751500-1505676747.jpg

post-13616-0-98565400-1505676770.jpg

I am still debating whether to deck out the top surface or lay the rails on longitudinal timbers.

I am veering towards the longitudinal with  steels ties between to hold the alignment.

This should look nice and temporary.

The only issue is whether I can fit a check rail.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

I've not really got on with the Easitrac chairs, I'm planing to use old school copperclad with chairplate etches.

The problem, in either case, is that the check rail chair will be wider than the sleeper when the sleeper is placed longitudinally.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

I've not really got on with the Easitrac chairs, I'm planing to use old school copperclad with chairplate etches.

The problem, in either case, is that the check rail chair will be wider than the sleeper when the sleeper is placed longitudinally.

perhaps if you use point sleepers it will be closer to a fit ?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

I was contemplating that but I found in the past the wet PVA distorts the templates unless you are careful (I'm not).

Still, the spray adhesive arrived today so the templates are now down.

post-13616-0-59621500-1505768623.jpg

Track laying can commence!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last weekends modelling got postponed due to the arrival of some flat pack furniture and the need to redecorate before assembling the furniture.

Whilst was beavering away at the walls and furniture my wife attacked the back-scene with some acrylics.

post-13616-0-40667400-1506888189.jpg

So some useful progress was achieved after all.

I'm chuffed to bits and think she's done a great job, hills will be added once the scenery is added.

I figure it will be easier match the paint to the model scenery rather than the other way around.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This weekend the focus has been on getting the first lengths of track down.

This means the bridge has to be completed.

Firstly the longitudinal timbers were prepped from some Copper clad point sleepers, cut to a scale 15' then chairplates soldered on.

post-13616-0-74104900-1506888485.jpg

These were then glued to the main timber girders.

post-13616-0-81618900-1506888527.jpg

Finally the bridge was given a coat of wood stain and the rails added.

post-13616-0-29362600-1506888572.jpg

I still need to add some cross ties which would have been in place to stop the rail spreading.

I'm pretty sure a set of check rails would also be in place!

Having completed the bridge and the plain track approach I could concentrate on getting the assembled pointwork laid.

Modelling time during the week had been spent gaping these ready to lay so it was just a matter of soldering on the dropper wires and drilling some matching holes in the baseboard.

post-13616-0-98114000-1506888776.jpg

post-13616-0-81296500-1506888798.jpg

It's starting to feel like it's coming together.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Whilst was beavering away at the walls and furniture my wife attacked the back-scene with some acrylics.

I'm chuffed to bits and think she's done a great job, hills will be added once the scenery is added.

talented lady

Aye, definitely a "keeper".

• RMweb Gold

I've nothing dramatic to report today other than more slow steady progress.

the penultimate point has been built:-

post-13616-0-25629500-1507480570.jpg

And is now installed on the layout along with the other completed point at the end of the loop.

I'm awaiting a delivery from shop 1 as I'm out easitrac bases.

post-13616-0-68705600-1507480682.jpg

I'm re-thinking the siding feeding the hydrogen plant (on the right of the view)

Its shape has been dictated by the need to fit a small gas holder and the silicol plant between the layout front and the siding.

I'm thing of having a smoother route the siding and modelling the gas holder and silicol plant in half relief.

This will be more aesthetically pleasing and give a more prototypical flow to the trackwork.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And the track is down.....

post-13616-0-37092200-1509309396.jpg

It has taken a while, and no doubt there will be some tweaks required once I get the stock running through the points, but it feels as though a milestone has been achieved!  :declare:  :danced:

All the droppers are in place, so, next weekend should see a wiring marathon, after that we should be good to play.  :senile:

I can now start to concentrate on the scenery and stock.

post-13616-0-80274500-1509309651.jpg

Annoyingly the decision to build the Airship shed carcass from ply has proved to be a bad one.

Or rather, using thin ply that had been stored in a damp garage and not allowed to dry out was.

It should be no surprise really that it has warped.

I've a stock of reasonable quality hardboard rescued from an old flat pack cabinet that was off to the tip recently.

Hopefully this will give a solid warp free structure.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Now the track is down I need to get on with the rolling stock.

With that in mind I've finished the build on the Scottish PO wagon started in post 120.

post-13616-0-73128300-1509399402.jpg

All ready for the paint shop now.

Then there is the lettering to look forward to......

• Like 4

On with going through the rolling stock kit pile:-

attachicon.gifWagon 1.jpg

Can you guess what it is yet?

attachicon.gifwagon 2.jpg

How about now?

It's a CR dia 6 brake van from an etch by a person whose identity is withheld to protect the guilty!   :onthequiet:

When finished it should look something like this :-

post-25077-0-33249100-1509808804.jpg

Jim  (Edited to add photo)

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

More progress with the van that Caley Jim has identified with uncanny accuracy.... ;)

post-13616-0-86419900-1509823760.jpg

It's starting to come together now.

Just the brakes, handrails and lamp irons to fit.......... :O

Oh,  also roof and buffers!

Edited by Argos
  • Like 3