n gauge (will be mostly modern) fold up layout

ilovetrains6

hello

this layout is being made to a accommodate my growing collection of n gauge stock.

this is a side project to my main oo gauge layout which is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102593-rose-regis-a-first-layout/

thanks for looking

johan

Here's what it will look like (done using SCARM)

post-27072-0-19615200-1462193748_thumb.jpg

Edited by ilovetrains6

If you swap the right hand point where the headshunt meets the way out of the upper bank of sidings for a left you will gain a little length on the headshunt itself- the headshunt is then not parallel with the top of the oval.  You could also use a curved piece on the headshunt itself to gain a little more length.

The length of these upper sidings suggests loco stabling.  In that case the headshunt does need to be a little longer.  You could also play around with the right and left points in that fan of sidings itself to get a little more length in the sidings, though that would mean they encroach a little more on the middle space.

Just a thought

Les

Thank you for you comments I will certainly look at the layout of the tmd area (at the top of the plan).

Something I fogot to mention is the layout will fold in half so it is portable and can be stored if needed.

Here is some pickturs of it with the track I currently have:

post-27072-0-29337600-1462231932_thumb.jpgpost-27072-0-77761000-1462231949_thumb.jpgpost-27072-0-37346800-1462231968_thumb.jpgpost-27072-0-27562900-1462231988_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Johan

The fold adds another complication.

Might I suggest you mark the position of the fold onto the mockup board so you can keep points clear of it.

Looking at the mock up - if this is the actual board size you could afford to extend the oval a little. 

All the best

Les

The fold adds another complication.

Might I suggest you mark the position of the fold onto the mockup board so you can keep points clear of it.

Looking at the mock up - if this is the actual board size you could afford to extend the oval a little. 

All the best

Les

I have drawn a light line Down the middle and none of the points are on it.

Also I have done this with the track I have available so when I get a bit more than the oval will proberly be bigger.

If anyone has any techniques that can suggest regarding the fold it would be greatly appreasheated

Thanks for looking

Johan

The hinges will be above the board I assume, so that the two tracked sides face together.

Lift the hinges above the board level by mounting them on wooden blocks.  This then means your two tracks swing away from each other when the hinges are closed, as well as giving clearance for things on the board.

If you are adding buildings etc that you want to leave permanently on the board make the height of the blocks a little more than half the height of the tallest structure.

At the other end I would put similar blocks for the boards to close onto, and use a split pin hinge to hold the two boards together.

Hope this helps

The hinges will be above the board I assume, so that the two tracked sides face together.

Lift the hinges above the board level by mounting them on wooden blocks.  This then means your two tracks swing away from each other when the hinges are closed, as well as giving clearance for things on the board.

If you are adding buildings etc that you want to leave permanently on the board make the height of the blocks a little more than half the height of the tallest structure.

At the other end I would put similar blocks for the boards to close onto, and use a split pin hinge to hold the two boards together.

Hope this helps

The one thing I would add is don't skimp on the hinges.  Get the best quality you can regardless of the price.

All the very best

Les

Thanks for the advice it will realy help :)

Johan

• 2 weeks later...

Also I have done this with the track I have available so when I get a bit more than the oval will proberly be bigger.

If anyone has any techniques that can suggest regarding the fold it would be greatly appreasheated

Thanks for looking

Johan[/quote

I assume you have tried searching RMweb? I am sure that I have seen some posts on this topic somewhere?

• Like 1

Thanks for looking

Johan[/quote

I assume you have tried searching RMweb? I am sure that I have seen some posts on this topic somewhere?

I have come across some on different threads but I have just started helping build the club's raffle layout so I will try and coppy that

Johan

• 3 months later...

Today I have been making the Metcalf brick engine shed here is where I was earlier

post-27072-0-74623300-1473886948_thumb.jpg

post-27072-0-63276800-1473886973_thumb.jpg

Since then I have stuck all those bits together to get the shape and put the roof suports in. I will have photos of that tomorrow.

I am also uploading a YouTube video of the testing of the tmd.

Thank you for looking

Johan

• Like 1

I have now got the roof on the shed and it is pretty much finnished but in not shure on wether or not to put the roof vents on as the stock that will be on the layout will be mostly modern. Heres a photo of it with the n and without them:

post-27072-0-98246700-1473957269_thumb.jpg

post-27072-0-90538300-1473957296_thumb.jpg

Comment wich you think is best.

Thanks for looking

Johan

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have also been making a fueling point for the depot area.

post-27072-0-02730600-1484426754_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the picture it is taken on my iPod so it's rubbish quality.

I was also at the bognor exibition today and bought a the outher malcom logistics class 66.

post-27072-0-41249000-1484427493_thumb.jpg

And next to the fuelling point

post-27072-0-37170100-1484427572_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Johan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...