Help with basic locomotive wiring

Yes I am a total beginner and hopelessly out of my depth.

Where (in village idiot) is the wire at the bottom of the picture supposed to go? Just got this out of the loft after 20 years and it's a non runner. This wire was loose and can't see anywhere obvious to reattach.

looking at the picture the wire which is not connected goes to the lighting unit under the plastic cab interior, however this would not stop the motor running. I would think that after 20 years sat doing nothing the motor would need a good service. Start by removing the motor from the chassis (if you cant remember were wires go try taking a photo on your mobile every time you remove a wire). Once the motor is out start by carefully removing the brushes, I always use a plastic tub to put all the parts in. Put the brushes and springs safely to one side, then remove the cover of the motor. This then allows you to get to the actual motor. Take a piece of fine sand paper and gently clean the copper plates on the motor, once you've done this gently turn the motor to check everything is free running. replace the motor cover and replace the brushes. Before you replace the brushes make sure they are clean and free from oil and grease. Once you replace them put the springs back in then secure the contacts back making sure they are pushing the springs back down. Before you replace the motor unit you should lubricate all the gears and barings with a drop of light machine oil. Once you replace the motor reconnect the wires then clean the contacts and wheels and then try running.

I also noticed in the picture that the loco weight is missing which could cause problems with the ability to pull a train of any  length.

Archived