Railway & Modelling Obituaries

BILL HUDSON

bbishop

So sorry to read this sad news.  Bill was one of the fixtures of the exhibition circuit and always ready to have a chat - and show you the latest volumes added to his stock ( :)) .  I've known him for more years than I really care to think about and will remember him as a great modeller as well as a proprietor of an excellent book shop.

Sincerest condolences to James and family.

Sad news. My condolences to James and the rest of Bill's family and friends.

I too had the pleasure of meeting Bill at many shows over the years, and like so many others, his 'Ashover' layout was a big inspiration to me when I started in this wonderful hobby.

Mark

When I first came to know my wife, Tracey, a Derbyshire native some twenty or more years ago , we often ventured to the Peak and always made a detour for the shop on Matlock station, where I got to know both Bill and his stock of books well. He would often strike up a conversation with me with various stories about other things than railways which always made the visits an absolute pleasure. I was also fortunate to meet him and James at many exhibitions up and down the country and was impressed at the depth of knowledge he had on subjects dear to his heart.

RIP Bill You were a good friend to a great many people as well as a very talented modeller and bookseller.   

Having heard recently that Bill wasn't in the best of health, it didn't seem promising but hearing this has still come as a shock.

I first encountered Bill over 30 years ago at a Nottingham show where he was promoting his latest wagon book, he kindly signed a copy and discreetly wrapped it in his copy of the daily paper for my wife who bought it as a Christmas present for me, a bag the same as the one he'd wrapped another purchase I'd made that day would have been a bit of a giveaway. She still talks of that gesture.

I'm afraid Bill has a sizeable cross to bear in having been responsible for the greater part of my book collection, always keen to extoll the virtues of the latest volume added to his stock but equally candid about the less than desirable ones, his recommendation was usually one to be taken seriously and many of my books came from him on that basis. 

I can only echo the tributes paid in the above messages and like everyone, will greatly miss him, particularly at those shows where his presence had become a staple part of the scenery. RIP Bill, another true gent lost to the hobby.

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear this news. It was always a pleasure to deal with Bill and now James at exhibitions. Bill was also very helpful to me when I was researching the Private Owner Wagons for Long Preston and generously shared the fruits of his own research with me. He will be much missed. Condolences to his family.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Am greatly saddened to hear about Bill. Calling into the Matlock Station shop will no longer be the same. He relieved me, like many, of the weight of my wallet with his many recommendations both at the shop and at exhibitions. I shall read my "Limestone Hills" once more in his memory. I just hope his wagon books will be reprinted. Condolences to his family.

Saddened at the loss of Bill on a number of levels ... as an author and modeller, as a friend, a colleague, as a 'competitor' who helped me so many times and for whom I always had the greatest respect and as the father of someone whose friendship I value greatly.   Throughout the years I've know Bill he always gave the first impression that he wasn't long for this World and then would belie that with tales of how 'Munro's' had been tackled :) 

Within the book trade we often joked about the 'rare' unsigned copies of Bill's work ... indeed on one occasion trying to influence a sale I told the prospective purchaser that I could get the book signed if it helped ... 'it would' was the reply so we traipsed over to see Bill who gladly offered to oblige only to find that it was already signed :) 

I recently lost my own father and so I can imagine how James and his young family are feeling ... sincere condolences from my wife and I to you James and all your family.

Nick

Hi to everyone here, My apologies for this late reply I have only just found it.

First I think it best I introduce my self...my name is Jonathan Guy Hudson. Bill was my dad. My mum and Bill divorced when I was only 2 years old and I only saw him a handful of times ( Thanks to my mum and not down to my dad not trying ).  I moved over to Spain shortly after but often wondered about my dad, what he was like, what he was doing etc. So when I returned to the UK and settled down with my own family I started to look for him and thanks to my amazing fiancée, I found him when I was 22 years old. Straight away I moved my own family to be closer to him and we stayed there for around 5 years. Unfortunately due to personal issues we had to move back to Yorkshire and slowly we lost touch. 

Only the other week I was talking about my dad and wanted to speak to him to get some advice then, last Wednesday, James finally contacted me via Facebook and broke the worst news a son ever wants to hear.

By the sounds of it a lot of people on here knew my dad better than me and you have expressed lovely sentiments towards him, so for that may I take this opportunity to say a heart felt thank you.

R.I.P Dad You are missed.

I visited Bill at the Matlock shop some years ago. He gave me copies of Midland Railway Blueprints for the building of Water Orton railway station circa 1908. He had used them to build the 7 mm model which adorned the front cover of Model Railway Journal. His model, inspirational....his kind and helpful advice....fondly remembered. Sincere condolences From Brian Hughes

• 1 month later...

What a sad loss - I first read of Bill's inspiring modelling in he RM in the 1970s and then saw "Tideswell" at one of the York shows, which was an epiphany for a 15 year modeller (I sawed up my continuous  run layout the next day and tried (and failed) to replicate what I had just seen). I later met Bill in his lovely shop in Matlock and like everyone else has said, found him to be lovely man who I know will be very much missed.

Archived