Railway & Modelling Obituaries

BILL HUDSON

bbishop

Yes a lovely chap indeed, spent a good few minutes at various shows and the shop talking about his hill walking experiences as well as the 'Midland Railway'.

Always had time to say hello to Fiona and myself during set-up at exhibitions.

Another one gone. Sad.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

A great shame, I dealt with Bill for many years. Many years ago at a Blackburn exhibition Bill sold me one of my prized possessions - the original LNWR plan for the widening of the Birkenhead Joint from Ledsham Junction - Hooton.

Condolences to family and friends.

RIP Bill.

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear this.  I remember his layouts in the model press and have copies of his "Private Owner Wagon" series of books, and have made numerous purchases from his stand at exhibitions.  A sad loss to the hobby ....

Condolences to family and friends of Bill.

I can remember borrowing Through The Limestone Hills from my local library and being fascinated by the content of the book and many years later managed to acquire a copy when it was still out of print.. and soon re-printed a few months later. The section in the book on the Tunstead limestone traffic really appealed to me too. Some years later Bill very kindly stocked some of my early self-produced booklets on the history of the I.C.I. hopper wagons from his shop at Matlock station and soon sold them and then stocked my later book on the same subject. It was very encouraging to be asked for copies of my booklet to sell in his shop and I made the trip down to Matlock to personally deliver the copies.

Regards Paul

So sad to hear of Bill's death. His "Ashover" layout in the RM in the early 1970s was a great inspiration.

When I lived near Matlock, Saturday mornings would often find me in his shop. His "Through Limestone Hills" is still the definitive book on the Midland route through the Peak. I treasure the copy that Bill signed for me.

Thoughts to his family at this sad time.

Bill will be remembered with fondness by many, he was a fine man - knowledgeable but not pushy.

I spent many hours talking with him and Chris Crofts about the humble wagon; in the 60's a much overlooked and neglected animal.

He was also important in pushing forward the notion of fine scale modelling.

Condolences to the family.

Very sad news indeed.

I always enjoyed talking to Bill in the shop where he often relived me of much money.  His "Through Limestone Hills" is a wonderful history of a line that I knew well.  It is one of my most treasured books and in constant use at the moment in planning a new layout.

Condolences to the family.  James seems very capable of carrying on the business.

Peterfgf.

Archived