APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

38 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Sorry Paul not for me.

But an N Gauge version could tempt my wallet open again ;););)

Cheers

Neal.

P.S. I will get started on my N Gauge POP 1 soon, promise.......

Hi Neal,

Still got Lab 4 to finish in N gauge.  Its nearly done.

Paul.

Edited by apt-e

Sorry to hijack this thread a little bit but does anyone know anything about the LC1 bogies fitted to lab 1. I have just come across a picture of this ex RSO fitted with what look to be similar bogies to the HX4 that 'Hastings' is fitted with but the vehicle was never intended to tilt as it is a standard Mk1.

The picture shows it coupled to Lab 25 'Decapod' but whether this was for stabling I don't know. 

I also have a picture of 'Hastings' running with POP 2 and a couple of other research dept vehicles.

Paul R

3 hours ago, pwr said:

Sorry to hijack this thread a little bit but does anyone know anything about the LC1 bogies fitted to lab 1. I have just come across a picture of this ex RSO fitted with what look to be similar bogies to the HX4 that 'Hastings' is fitted with but the vehicle was never intended to tilt as it is a standard Mk1.

The picture shows it coupled to Lab 25 'Decapod' but whether this was for stabling I don't know. 

I also have a picture of 'Hastings' running with POP 2 and a couple of other research dept vehicles.

Paul R

Would love to see the photos Paul.

Mr Tilt may have something to say about these.  I am not sure what the goal was with the LC1s sadly.

LC1s were essentially non-tilting H4Xs, and were intended to fit under other coaching stock that may or may not have been designed in the future. Instead the HST BT10 bogies took over the BR world and AFAIK no LC1s ever saw passenger service. 

The Lab 4 tests with the LC1 had lots of different yaw damper configurations so very few pics look the same as any others.

Another base prototype in build, with Tilt.

Still lots to change.

These are low res test prints, so are pretty rough for now.

Top photo is pilot proto 1 with a rough print and paint job.  

Regards

Paul

20210525_173029.jpg

20210525_184043.jpg

16219646405896483123181621386396.jpg

20210525_185737.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, apt-e said:

Would love to see the photos Paul.

Mr Tilt may have something to say about these.  I am not sure what the goal was with the LC1s sadly.

Paul

The photos are in the old Ian Allan publication Rolling Stock Recognition 3 by Colin Marsden. I can't post them here as I think they are still copyright but I have scanned them on my phone and will e-mail directly.

In the meantime here is a link to the Lab 1 page on the Traintesting web site showing the LC1 bogies that I suspect stood for Lab coach 1 bogies!!!

Paul R

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

LC1s were essentially non-tilting H4Xs, and were intended to fit under other coaching stock that may or may not have been designed in the future. Instead the HST BT10 bogies took over the BR world and AFAIK no LC1s ever saw passenger service. 

The Lab 4 tests with the LC1 had lots of different yaw damper configurations so very few pics look the same as any others.

Thank you Kit - most helpful as usual

Paul R

• Agree 1

Not bad, looks about 9 degrees. :good:

Mind you, with a curve THAT sharp maybe 19 degrees would be more appropriate if it was doing more than walking pace!

I'm minded of Syston North Curve en route to the test track where we were limited to 10 mph I think, and the tilt systems were asleep at that speed! 

• Funny 2

38 minutes ago, pwr said:

Great work Paul 

Did you get my e-mail with the photos?

Paul R

Oh, yes Paul.  Sorry been meaning to message you back. Never seen them before.

Thank you very much.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If we need a 3D print of Mr Tilt for PoP-1, don't we need need a Mr Tilt 2 for the later version? :scratchhead:

If he was renamed Mr sTilt we would then know that he had gone up in our estimation.

Very poor but I don't care !

• Funny 2

Mr Tilt looked pretty much the same all through the project, from 1970 to the time I left BR in 1978. Only the colour of the kipper ties changed radically. Or sometimes the cravats in the summer............ :D

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More Tilt testing today and building the one part BT11.

Buffet car is well on its way also.

Lower vents to sort as they are all the same for each coach  but that's  not a big job  thanks to the photos sent by Rob of APT-P.com fame.

20210601_123835.jpg

20210601_123841.jpg

20210601_123848.jpg

20210601_124400.jpg

20210601_124408.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Morning all,

A completed  one part frame Hornby style BT11 bogie.

Working on the buffet car for the rest of today.

Need to find some matched paint for the new coaches.  Needs to be as near as to the rest of the original model.

Regards

Paul.

20210602_091457.jpg

20210602_091449.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looks great ... does this one have beer or do we have to make do with coffee like PoP-1?

Come to think of it, maybe not a good idea - I get the impression it was too much alcohol that made the journalists feel queasy and led to the all the adverse publicity that eventually caused cancellation of the project. 

• Like 1

The media's 'queasiness' was caused by LOTS of alcohol imbibed the previous night in the bar of the hotel at Glasgow Central Station, all BR's expense of course They were pissed BEFORE they even got aboard that first P-Train service. :(

I was staying in the same hotel that night and I could hear them getting drunk from a couple of floors above them! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi All,

Been working on the extra original Hornby style coaches the past two days. 

Here are some videos of the very first powered test runs, second clip is the first two coach tests.   Not perfect but not bad.

http://www.apt-e.org/leadleykits/videos/APT.wmv

http://www.apt-e.org/leadleykits/videos/APT2.wmv

Buffet car needs bigger cams to make the car tilt as its pretty dam heavy and always wants to tilt the wrong way,    Mr Tilt knows all about that lol........

Regards

Paul

• Like 4

Tilting the WRONG way in a buffet car?

Trust me, you DO NOT want to do that! :o All that coffee, beer and sarnies all over the floor, NO fun!

I'm not sure why the model should want to do that as the cams under the floor should prevent it going the wrong way. Is there too much clearance between the cam and the bogie frame? 

• Funny 2