Heljan Churchward Mogul in 7mm scale

steve fay

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Not 43xx which is what we are discussing.

Your post said Gaugemaster don’t have Heljan spares for sale. You didn’t specifically say they didn’t have 43xx spares for sale. I was just pointing out they do have Heljan spares for sale. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A photo of exactly what you are trying to fix would help as each manufacturer is likely to have a slightly different arrangement.

Dapol spare crank pins are available but i doubt would fit. You might be able to adapt Heljan's wheels to use Slaters or other proprietary brands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is that your repair and you want to replace with the original (see below)? I assume the original screws into the wheel from the front but it may not work now if the hole has been bored out for that replacement. Slaters amongst others do crankpins but would be a case of finding a way to make them work.

20220728_220619551.jpg.53b0898f4c22dd19e35a03377137a2ec.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, M Wright said:

Hi, Help!  Has anyone found a good way to remove some of the lining from a tender of one of these mogul locos without  removing the green paint below?

Not specifically on this one but IPA applied sparingly with a cotton bud (squeeze it out / wipe on towel first) usually removes the lining before the main paint.

Anywhere it goes over rivets may well be a problem with any technique though.

Edited by Hal Nail

Hi, thank you for this suggestion Hal I will try it somewhere where a problem will not show!  Another  question that you  or another might answer  is,  has anybody got  a suggestion as to what green available in any paint range best matches the BR green used on the early BR Mogul models?  I feel sure if I have a pot of green paint to hand the removal of the lining will go well.  MW

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, M Wright said:

has anybody got  a suggestion as to what green available in any paint range best matches the BR green used on the early BR Mogul models?

I tend to mix by eye but one of the Precisions - pre 1954 i think - was spot on for my Heljan class 46 without having to alter it. I havent tried the 43xx though.

The finish affects the shade so buffing or varnishing to the same level will make a difference.