RHDR Accident?

Edge

I have learned today that it was the son of a friend of a friend driving. Very lucky that was no worse.

I also understand it was an occupational crossing, not a public road crossing.

The tractor, possibly from an outside contractor, was towing a full trailer of straw, there are suggestions it was overloaded.

For occupational crossings my opinion is any user should have to attend a safety course before being allowed to use them. This is a matter of safety training and the employer (farmer/contractor) should be responsible for ensuring their employees have the necessary instruction. The people best placed to give the training is the RH&DR, and they would be paid for the course(s). Two things to include might be a stopping demonstration of a complete train and explanation of the consequences of a crash for the train's occupants.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was there nine years ago and took a ride from New Romney to Dungeness and back and I was surprised at how many level crossings had no barriers whatsoever. The roads are busy these days and full barriers are needed. I also thought the permanent way then was in need of attention as the ride was very unnerving in quite a few places. 

I was there nine years ago and took a ride from New Romney to Dungeness and back and I was surprised at how many level crossings had no barriers whatsoever. The roads are busy these days and full barriers are needed. I also thought the permanent way then was in need of attention as the ride was very unnerving in quite a few places.

Recent years has seen a program to fit most if not all the road crossings on the RH&DR with barriers.

Archived