gismorail

Many thanks for everyone's kind comments. When fellow modellers give favourable comments on ones attempts to create a scene from the past it does give  great encouragement and spurs one to try even harder. A lot of the scenes that I'm trying to create on this small 'Cameo Layout come from memories of my farming carrier especially the earlier years around the mid 1970's which although it is more than some fifth-teen years after the layout is set many farming communities were very the same at that time period in the characters that lived in the area. So as the layout starts to approach some form completion as far as the general landscapes are concerned I will be introducing some of these characters as I can remember them. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Spent a couple of hours tonight adding some further detailing to the wooden post boundary fence along the front of the layout . I felt that it looked a bit 'clinical ' with a straight finish from the field grass to the embankment leading onto the coal siding so I have been busy adding some rough grass finish around the base of the fence so that it gives a bit of a natural look rather than a neat contrast between the two types grass. I need to start producing the lane hedging this week which will I hope give a nice depth of field to the whole front area of the layout and therefore draw the viewers eye into the general railway scene. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Managed to a bit of scenic work around the coal drops tonight nothing to dramatic just added a fence along the goods yard side and some under growth on either side of the embankments. Will post some further pictures when there is something to show for hours of work. :keeporder:

What I would like to share with people is a rather cheap source of super glue currently on offer at BM stores which seem to be a national chain these days. 

1052656801_superglue001(227x600).jpg.4775134d752c118c977124d684438630.jpg

Ten small tubes for £2.49 which works out at just under 25 pence per tube. I can confirm that it is the proper stuff , very strong and sets very quickly and I have found that being a small tube there is no waste. It's located amongst the tools and car bits display usually on its own display peg . 

Hope you all find it a good buy. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, gismorail said:

Thanks George didn't want to let the side down and others sterling efforts on here spurs one to do better 

I agree Martin, I keep looking at CE and Kevin's Little Muddle to name just two of the many inspiring Layouts that draw me into scanning through here each day.

Please keep it up mate, just stunning and I look forward to seeing it in November at the Annual Shindig that is the; Great Welsh Meat Up, or otherwise known as a Pie and Cake eating Session.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I agree Martin, I keep looking at CE and Kevin's Little Muddle to name just two of the many inspiring Layouts that draw me into scanning through here each day.

Please keep it up mate, just stunning and I look forward to seeing it in November at the Annual Shindig that is the; Great Welsh Meat Up, or otherwise known as a Pie and Cake eating Session.

It should be well finished by then Andy might have some 0 gauge around the outside of it :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gismorail said:

It should be well finished by then Andy might have some 0 gauge around the outside of it :lol:

Tell me more...……….Tell me more:o:good:

A Thread, …… A Thread,        my Kingdom for a Thread:taunt:

• Funny 1

We are all waiting with baited breath for the next instalment of...

The Adventures at Chumley End

The ongoing saga of the trials and tribulations for this layout builder.....but

has he got stuck in the setting resin of the pond

or

glued himself to a hedge?

We wait in expectation for the next update? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Been waiting 3 days, is that not long enough?:yes:

10 hours ago, KNP said:

We are all waiting with baited breath for the next instalment of...

The Adventures at Chumley End

The ongoing saga of the trials and tribulations for this layout builder.....but

has he got stuck in the setting resin of the pond

or

glued himself to a hedge?

We wait in expectation for the next update? 

Good morning gentlemen work has been progressing slowly in the form of further fence building through as suggested by Kevin I have perhaps been getting my fingers  super glued together ....after my last recommendation :jester: Attention has been directed to the metal spear fencing around the agricultural goods area which has had to be primed and painted as well as further work on the signal box which has had a brick base added which has taken some time to produce. Hopefully  if work doesn't take too much out of today I will get some photographs done tonight. 

• Like 3

Well as promised having got an early finish at work today and having  unglued myself from several of Chumley End's fast super sticky  hedges ( thank you Kevin ) I was able to take a few photographs to update work that has been progressing slowly . 

Having primed and then hand painted some Ratio metal spear fencing  for the agriculture goods area I have now finally fixed it all into place

there is a some touching up and toning down to be done once other areas have been completed. 

517500981_fencingsignal001(600x354).jpg.ecfbde335a533054d06a5b9b7c2bbd7b.jpg

428770879_fencingsignal002(600x358).jpg.fb7a5c26e686ec4de3810c4c498ff383.jpg

141417410_fencingsignal003(600x380).jpg.4a45f54786298062034d1c4de7fa2541.jpg

The siding around the coal drops has also had some fencing added in the form of concrete / wire and a wooden safety fence ....I can only guess that a direct drop into a 'coal hole ' even in the days where H&S was not the order of the day would have had some type of barrier to stop the people of Chumley End experiencing an unexpected & untimely fall. !!!!! .  I have also erected a protective edge to the weight bridge area using old railway line which was the cheap and common material used in those days. 

374888588_fencingsignal004(600x402).jpg.9c3c002f40420188236cdc74127af9b1.jpg

2142855846_fencingsignal005(600x435).jpg.7c52c767528e842d61c5e79e4bd54b69.jpg

The eagle eyed amongst you might well have noticed some work has started on the signal cabin. I had to date built the Churchward brass kit as per the instructions but felt there was something missing and whilst flicking through pictures of signal boxes I decided that a small brick base was what needed.

973929307_fencingsignal007(450x600).jpg.cb7bbedc9add049f9a55ded097051bf2.jpg

The above picture shows the brick base that has been added. 

1287471648_fencingsignal006(419x600).jpg.d215dd82567d557f3592d298773fa341.jpg

One problem that by doing the small brick base the height of the cabin has been slightly raised as I did not want to cover the main base timber so I have had to make an addition to the base of the staircase, as such signal cabins were mainly erected by outside contractors in this case McKenzie & Holland I think I can get away with this small addition, although once further scenic's have been added it will not be as noticeable.

429146176_fencingsignal008(448x600).jpg.bb0c32fc2d12f77f9901dd0e06abf61a.jpg

What's that speaker doing there !!!!!! well the signalman is a HEAVY ROCK FAN .......oopps to early for that in the the time period....:biggrin_mini2:

Due to the fact that the signal cabin is a brass kit I had some time ago decided that it was going to have to be a removable building therefore wiring for the interior lighting and the speaker for the sound effects needed to be considered therefore I came up with this design for the base of the cabin. 

1962301001_fencingsignal009(600x504).jpg.6f97f7761075c391bc13791518c58b09.jpg

The main body of the cabin will slot into the MDF  body of the base so that access can be gained to the speaker if any problems occur. I have added two brass tubes to allow the wiring to pass through the base board where two plugs will be located for connection to the power supply for the lighting and the speaker to the microchip for the sound effects. These sound effects have been created by my good friend Trevor who is a 'bit of a whizz ' when it comes to DCC  control etc. and once the cabin has been fully completed and the chip installed beneath the base board I will record a demo to show off his bell code project. 

I hope that readers have gained further enjoyment from my latest ramblings. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Brilliant work as always mate.

Have you recorded the sound of frying eggs and a whistling kettle for the singing / whistling Signalman?

Not got any whistling kettles in the signal box but sure to be some on the outside :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mark axlecounter said:

He also needs the sound of " Not another bl##dy train"

I might be sending A pm to you Martin about details about your layout for a future show.

Mark^_^ ( the angry signaller):mad_mini: 

well Mark when i record the sounds for RM web you will be the judge and jury . Please let me know about the show will be looking for booking in the near future cheers

• Like 2

Just a quick update which seems daft to be honest as I have spent many hours completing the signal cabin and there have been times when I wish I had not got involved in a 'brass kit ' as I have found that fitting the windows and the interior fittings was something of a 'nightmare' :scare:but Chumely End  now has a signal cabin and I'm reasonably happy with the near completed kit. 

1177661542_signalbox009(600x461).jpg.41e8b41dbd299e5ecf617cc8e9ca0e53.jpg

1520114554_signalbox014(600x436).jpg.23d44038181a3403fd8147ff474f9681.jpg

1153960973_signalbox007(600x327)(586x297).jpg.e80d8936b6d19dec51a39f4ee0ec6f75.jpg

575211159_signalbox006(600x426)(600x426).jpg.a565efef749dc485a34d6f5c26a825a4.jpg

There is still little bits of details to be added like roof finials and the interior fitments as well as the name board but on the whole the subject is more or less completed. At some stage I will the Bell Code chip but this will require up ending the base board to allow access to make the fitting. 

Edited by gismorail
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4